Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Unidentified "J" Channel

I'm restoring a 1963 Tradewind. On the outside of the trailer, between the two access doors for the refrigerator, there is a horizontal piece of J channel mounted with three rivets. On my trailer it is 12 9/16 inches long. Just to the left of the J channel is an indented 3/16 hole. I'm guessing that the hole would correspond to the primary doorknob, but the door is presently buried behind a mountain of parts. Maybe there is supposed to be a rubber bumper? It doesn't seem like the J channel relates to anything else. But, I see it is on all the trailers of that vintage that I can find, like this one from vintage airstream.com.

I figure I'll just leave it there in any event, but I'd sure like to know what it's for.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think it's for the latch on the door-in-a-door.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Correct, the J channel allows the door-in-door to be open and still operate the entry door. The latch on the d-i-d should have two little wheels on it and the J fits between them. Pretty neat little gadget! The screw hole you describe is for the entry door rubber bumper.

I just bought a '63 Tradewind a couple weeks ago, thus the only reason I knew the answer to your q.

Is yours a double or singles? Interior pix?

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Ditto to blacksheep and overlander63...our 63 GT has the same rigging for the door-in-door - only ours is on the right, 'cause the door hinges on the left - nifty!

Where are you parking your rig in Cape Coral? We have been looking for a home there for the past 6 weeks - to return to our home state - and code enforcement looks pretty stiff in the area - we rarely saw a boat or RV...

George
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink View Post

Where are you parking your rig in Cape Coral? We have been looking for a home there for the past 6 weeks - to return to our home state - and code enforcement looks pretty stiff in the area - we rarely saw a boat or RV...

George
To store it, you can give A Storage Place on Littleton Road a call. They are at the corner of Littleton Road and Aluminum Road, between US 41 and Business 41.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Thanks a lot for the replies. I had all kinds of speculative ideas. A bracket from which an outdoor table would hang; a center support for the awning. As usual, the most simple solution is the correct one.

We live in the county, literally the width of one street north of the city limits -- thank goodness. The only limitation we have is that we can't have anybody living out of a trailer. Fortunately nobody has tested the distinction between an extended visit and "living". Even more fortunate, I've got a carriage house/shop, so the project is happening indoors. The shell has been off, the frame rehabed, the deck replaced and the shell replaced. Now I'm near the end of the first-pass polish and will soon begin resealing seams and replacing loose rivits.

According to the serial number, it was a twin. But, it was gutted when I got it. We're relocating the bathroom to center curbside next to the refrigerator. I'm going to put in a queen with the headboard at the rear. It's going to be tight but at least on paper it fits. I moved the curbside window a little further back to accomodate the plan.

There are terrific bargains to be had in the local real-estate market if you have an ample down payment. As they say on the Price is Right, "Come On Down"!
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote