Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Castle Rock , Washington
Under Taillight Rust on '62 Safari

After removing the tail light and license plate bracket assemblies on my '62 Safari, I was unpleasantly surprised with a fair amount of rust. I'm sure that with all of the collected wisdom contained within this site, some of you AS gurus have a method to get rid of this rust prior to polishing. I have already used PPG PR-5044 to remove any sealant and/or clearcoat. Good stuff by the way, put it on in the evening, come back in the morning and scrape off with a plastic scraper, neutralize with lacquer thinner - done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266[2].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	219006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	219007  

Tlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
By now I'm guessing you're way beyond this. Common problem of steel against aluminum. It will happen faster and worse the next time without a barrier between them. You will find other places with the same problem. Ice tech roofing membrane makes a nice gasket for steel on exterior aluminum surfaces. Common rattle can auto undercoating works well for places like the small angle iron pieces that connect the aluminum body bows to the floor and the front hold down plate to the shell.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote