Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Tree fell on my ‘69 Globetrotter

We have been waiting anxiously for the insurance claim to come through, but now thanks to a good settlement & the generosity of many friends, we think our trailer can be repaired. I’ve done some minor things, but do not feel equipped to repair both end caps & one of the cave ins pressed into our side wetbath. So the big question is—who can I trust to do the repairs? We have one estimate from the nice folks at A&P Trailer in Ft Worth. We are in Shreveport, LA, but willing to travel to get the best work. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	366799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	366800

Who do y’all recommend?
meturtlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I don't have a recommendation for you, but I am so very sorry this happened to your coach. Wow. So awful. But at least it sounds optimistic that you will be able to get your baby repaired and back on the road.

Best wishes, Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Jackson Center would be my first choice
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Airstream Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meturtlen View Post
We have been waiting anxiously for the insurance claim to come through, but now thanks to a good settlement & the generosity of many friends, we think our trailer can be repaired. I’ve done some minor things, but do not feel equipped to repair both end caps & one of the cave ins pressed into our side wetbath. So the big question is—who can I trust to do the repairs? We have one estimate from the nice folks at A&P Trailer in Ft Worth. We are in Shreveport, LA, but willing to travel to get the best work. Attachment 366799Attachment 366800

Who do y’all recommend?
I would give a call to Camping World of Little Rock. They can tell you if they are currently able to repair and warrantee the work you need done on your coach. I have heard Airstream owners say good things about the work they do. They will most likely need pictures of all the damage you need repaired. Remember that you aren't required to repair all damage at once and may be able to stretch out the repairs if you need to. The best part is they are probably fairly close to you vs. Airstream Factory in Ohio. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Just an FYI, unless things have changed, you are still able to get those panels from Airstream.

The problem for some folks, the new panels will come made from the same aluminum that new trailers are made with, coating and all.

I've heard of folks even asking the factory if they can supply their own aluminum (non-coated, no texture) and they were told "No".

Stay Healthy,
Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
big question is—who can I trust to do the repairs? We have one estimate from the nice folks at A&P Trailer in Ft Worth. We are in Shreveport, LA, but willing to travel to get the best work. Attachment 366799Attachment 366800

Who do y’all recommend?
The “nice folks” at A&P in Paradise, TX truly are nice, and their client list is impressive, and they are incredibly hard to find waay out in the woods until you’ve been there once.... The other trailers we saw there were under impressive repairs and modifications.... and we were sent there by recommendations from people who certainly ought to know what they’re talking about.... and the owners are definitely Airstream-savvy and involved with Airstream clubs... BUT... Here’s what happened with OUR experience:

We dropped off our 22’ Sport which had a bit of hail damage and a tree “bit” the left/rear corner requiring two panels to be replaced. We left the trailer with them in October with a Dec 1 completion planned. When we were informed it was ready-to-go... we drove all the way back to Paradise (loong distance) to find the rear panels replaced fine.... EXCEPT ... when I entered the bathroom I was horrified to see the workmen had drilled ALL THE WAY THROUGH the insides and the bath walls had about 25 holes drilled through!

To say I was shocked with the workmanship that was so AT ODDS with what everyone had told me to expect from this outfit was BEYOND BELIEF! I couldn’t believe this outfit’s owner’s first statement was “We can put some rivets in those holes.”
I replied, “You can replace these two interior panels. That’s what you can do!”
The loong round trip was a disappointment to say the least, and to think that the owner had called us to pick it up, without HIS PERSONAL inspection of his workers product was simply beyond belief. His immediate suggestion that he’d correct that ugly wall with more rivets was a knee-jerk stoopid idea!
We left it with him for 2 more weeks and when the weather was predicted to freeze I called to confirm they’d drain the tanks and take care of the trailer not to let it freeze.
What happened? They had allowed that trailer to sit out the entire 2-1/2 months with no shore power, the fridge running on propane until the battery was completely drained, although by the time we’d arrived, the battery was disconnected ...it’s ground cable had been removed by someone using common pliers forcibly twisting it off the terminal and damaging the cable-end instead of properly loosening the terminal bolt. I had to replace that cable because it would not properly tighten-down again. To add insult to injury, I believe it’s discharged state allowed it to freeze anyway and ruined the battery!
Did I mention they were expensive? I had trusted them because they had come highly recommended and they were NOT some “cheap” shop. I should have gone to the “cheap shop”. The rivets they used on the outside panels and seams do not appear to be properly sealed.
In our Airstream group is another couple who had taken their Bambi to them (and who had participated in making the original recommendations) and they have subsequently discovered their bed becomes soaked from leaks in rain or when the trailer is washed. A&P had replaced that panel in front of their FB model and that window was not properly sealed.
OK... I hate posting this. I wish it weren’t true. I think the A&P folks have a reputation from others that glow... but the two experiences we have that are IN- PERSON... left a bit to be desired to say the least.
YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Vinnie's Northside? (California)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
North Dallas RV

North Dallas RV
2630 I-35 E. North
Carrollton , Texas 75007

972-242-0404
800-359-6378

Fixed , good as new
Old 04-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
GTL48

2018 33' Classic
Greeneville , Tennessee
Jackson Center first the Foley in Gulfport MS. Currently have ours at Jackson Center for a ding repair
GTL48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
The problem you'll find is that "the best" will come with a long (long, long, long) wait. There are so few really good repair shops that they all have extremely long lead times. That said, you could "get lucky" with a reputable body shop. After all, it's just metal! (although aluminum is a bit of a separate beast) Timeless Travel Trailers is probably the best, but they're going to be expensive, and who knows how long it will take to get you in.

So sad to see this. Crumpled aluminum breaks my heart.

With damage this extensive the trailer is often best "repurposed" (stationary guest house, office, etc.), but it's hard to let go if there is sentimental value.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Easton , Pennsylvania
North Trail RV Collision Center, Ft. Myers, Florida. They have Airstream trained techs and do excellent work.They repaired the street side of my 28' Tommy Bahama including the awning arm. Looks brand new "again" The problem is getting it scheduled. They are busy!!
Good luck!!
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
When a tree limb put the hurt on our Bambi, we had the repair done at Foley RV in Gulfport, Mississippi.

Did a good job.

Pleasant people, too.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I would only go to Jackson center
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:09 AM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had great sheet metal work done at Jackson Center and North Dallas RV, which is closer to you.
North Dallas RV (NDRV)/ Steve Beatie & Randy
2630 N I35,
Carrolton, TX, 75007

972 242 0404
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ouch!

Recommend you email Jackson Center with a full set of photos, and ask their advice, including where to go closer to home. Their input is essential IMO.

Would you consider taking the "good settlement" money, and running with it? Depending on your life situation, and the new virus pandemic possibly affecting wide-open travel for years, this option needs to be on the table IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
. . .
. . . but now thanks to a good settlement . . . , we think our trailer can be repaired.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The “nice folks” at A&P in Paradise, TX truly are nice, and their client list is impressive, and they are incredibly hard to find waay out in the woods until you’ve been there once.... The other trailers we saw there were under impressive repairs and modifications.... and we were sent there by recommendations from people who certainly ought to know what they’re talking about.... and the owners are definitely Airstream-savvy and involved with Airstream clubs... BUT... Here’s what happened with OUR experience:

We dropped off our 22’ Sport which had a bit of hail damage and a tree “bit” the left/rear corner requiring two panels to be replaced. We left the trailer with them in October with a Dec 1 completion planned. When we were informed it was ready-to-go... we drove all the way back to Paradise (loong distance) to find the rear panels replaced fine.... EXCEPT ... when I entered the bathroom I was horrified to see the workmen had drilled ALL THE WAY THROUGH the insides and the bath walls had about 25 holes drilled through!

To say I was shocked with the workmanship that was so AT ODDS with what everyone had told me to expect from this outfit was BEYOND BELIEF! I couldn’t believe this outfit’s owner’s first statement was “We can put some rivets in those holes.”
I replied, “You can replace these two interior panels. That’s what you can do!”
The loong round trip was a disappointment to say the least, and to think that the owner had called us to pick it up, without HIS PERSONAL inspection of his workers product was simply beyond belief. His immediate suggestion that he’d correct that ugly wall with more rivets was a knee-jerk stoopid idea!
We left it with him for 2 more weeks and when the weather was predicted to freeze I called to confirm they’d drain the tanks and take care of the trailer not to let it freeze.
What happened? They had allowed that trailer to sit out the entire 2-1/2 months with no shore power, the fridge running on propane until the battery was completely drained, although by the time we’d arrived, the battery was disconnected ...it’s ground cable had been removed by someone using common pliers forcibly twisting it off the terminal and damaging the cable-end instead of properly loosening the terminal bolt. I had to replace that cable because it would not properly tighten-down again. To add insult to injury, I believe it’s discharged state allowed it to freeze anyway and ruined the battery!
Did I mention they were expensive? I had trusted them because they had come highly recommended and they were NOT some “cheap” shop. I should have gone to the “cheap shop”. The rivets they used on the outside panels and seams do not appear to be properly sealed.
In our Airstream group is another couple who had taken their Bambi to them (and who had participated in making the original recommendations) and they have subsequently discovered their bed becomes soaked from leaks in rain or when the trailer is washed. A&P had replaced that panel in front of their FB model and that window was not properly sealed.
OK... I hate posting this. I wish it weren’t true. I think the A&P folks have a reputation from others that glow... but the two experiences we have that are IN- PERSON... left a bit to be desired to say the least.
YMMV

This is frightening, considering how much money is involved—and we are not in a position to pay for it twice—but thank you so much for the information. Hard choices coming up for us.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva52 View Post
North Trail RV Collision Center, Ft. Myers, Florida. They have Airstream trained techs and do excellent work.They repaired the street side of my 28' Tommy Bahama including the awning arm. Looks brand new "again" The problem is getting it scheduled. They are busy!!
Good luck!!

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Just an FYI, unless things have changed, you are still able to get those panels from Airstream.

The problem for some folks, the new panels will come made from the same aluminum that new trailers are made with, coating and all.

I've heard of folks even asking the factory if they can supply their own aluminum (non-coated, no texture) and they were told "No".

Stay Healthy,

Thanks. Good information to have—I spent 180 hours polishing her myself. Hate to think I’d have to do it again on brand new panels!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
I would give a call to Camping World of Little Rock. They can tell you if they are currently able to repair and warrantee the work you need done on your coach. I have heard Airstream owners say good things about the work they do. They will most likely need pictures of all the damage you need repaired. Remember that you aren't required to repair all damage at once and may be able to stretch out the repairs if you need to. The best part is they are probably fairly close to you vs. Airstream Factory in Ohio. Ed

Thanks, Ed!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
The problem you'll find is that "the best" will come with a long (long, long, long) wait. There are so few really good repair shops that they all have extremely long lead times. That said, you could "get lucky" with a reputable body shop. After all, it's just metal! (although aluminum is a bit of a separate beast) Timeless Travel Trailers is probably the best, but they're going to be expensive, and who knows how long it will take to get you in.

So sad to see this. Crumpled aluminum breaks my heart.

With damage this extensive the trailer is often best "repurposed" (stationary guest house, office, etc.), but it's hard to let go if there is sentimental value.

Good advice. We will keep the “repurposing” option in mind.