Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Savannah , Georgia
straightening mangled door?

what are my prospects for getting this straightened out?
the door on my spartan was mangled when i got it. this picture shows the hinge side. there was a dent along the edge and under the trim. the trim is stretched...i've pressed the crease out of the skin but there are dings and wrinkles and a it's still not flat. would it be best to take the whole skin off the frame and flatten it somehow all at once? i know an alloy can't be put back into it's original shape, but how close can i get and how?

Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Getting the door shape right is an art, IMHO. Take a look at this post for ideas. You don't have to take the skin off completely, just remove the rivets on the inner and outer skins along the path where the skin needs to move to get the shape back.

Zep
Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Savannah , Georgia
the doors pretty sound structurally. it's just the dings and shallow crease along the side trim. and the trip is out of shape. when the top and bottom of the trim is riveted the trim hangs out over the edge of the door...it's bent that way. when pushed over the rivet holes the trim bends up off the door. can this be shrunk with a torch?
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote