Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Storm Damage!

We're having a bit of a blustery day here in New England...gale force winds, rain. Just looked out my kitchen window, and saw this:

Looks like a coconut fell off a tree on it...but I don't have any coconut trees, here. Only thing I could find on the ground nearby was a stick. Please tell me this will pull out with a suction cup. It isn't creased...but it does span a seam. please please please....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397 (Large).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	27621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398 (Large).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	27622  

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Chuck, Mine had the twin of that one on the other side up front. It came out just fine, but I pushed it out from the inside. Really, mine really did look just about like that. I described it as looking like somebody dinged it with a basketball. When I got the end cap out, I pushed a little with my hand--No movement. I got the ol' plumbers helper out on the top, started working the edges, it slowly pulled out a bit (maybe 1/2 of it). Then it wouldn't budge any further. So, and I'm not making this up, I remembered the basketball. I got my hands one, deflayted it a bunch, went back inside and rolled it around the dent. Popped right out The seam doesn't even leak. Go figure.

Good luck with it. Now, you wanna tell me how fix the heater on my truck?

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Makes me sick just looking at it.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Chuck.First, I am very sorry to hear and see damage to your second child. I know the care and nurturing you have provided over the years. We had a '69 Tradewind when I was growing up and used to park it on the side of the driveway in the front yard. A kid punted a football and it landed in just about the same spot as yours, on the rear, but didn't hit the seam; the dent was all on the rounded portion. I don't know if a suction cup would work, certainly the least intrusive method of repair, quick and cheap. Ours was repaired by drilling a small hole and using a dent puller of some sort and then plugging the hole with a rivet. It looked pretty good with just a small wrinkle visible. I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of advice and options. Good luck. The weather is pretty miserable here as well.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
We're having a bit of a blustery day here in New England...gale force winds, rain. Just looked out my kitchen window, and saw this:

Looks like a coconut fell off a tree on it...but I don't have any coconut trees, here. Only thing I could find on the ground nearby was a stick. Please tell me this will pull out with a suction cup. It isn't creased...but it does span a seam. please please please....
I had one close to this, it came out.

Good Luck
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ouch! That's got to mess up your day. Basketball idea sounds interesting -- but what is your access without an inside tear down? We all feel for you Chuck.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Wow, don't look good. That was a mighty big stick! Best of luck popping that dent out.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about that one Chuck.

A few weeks ago, we had some quarter sized hail hit us. Our cars were riddled with hail dents and I have no question that if the Safari were out there, it would look like that all over. One of these days though I just know my dance card is gonna get punched, so I'm real interested in knowing and hopefully seeing some pics of the dent pulled out.

I hope it comes out easily.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Chuck

What a rotten thing to happen. I'd be trying the toilet plunger first and you can also buy the automotive type for pretty cheap at discount auto supply stores - perhaps even Wally World. I like the basketball idea. Does the dent intrude into the inside? It looks like it would but.............
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
haven't looked inside. didn't even think of that. even worse is the thought that it my be broken. I certainly hope I don't have to take out the end cap...that would truly suck.

it is hard to believe that a 2' long x 1" diameter "stick" would leave a dent that looks like a basketball...but there ain't no basketballs falling out of the trees. (and I'm not close enough to the road for a neighborhood hellion to have done anthing...we're way out in the woods).

It was just getting dark when I noticed the damage, so I didn't look anything over inside. I'll go out and take a good close look in the a.m.

Jim: fixing the heater is easy

1) completely disassemble the truck. the very last piece you find will be the heater core.
2) remove hoses from old heater
3) attach new heater core
4) re-assemble truck.

oh, I wish I wish I wish I wish I had a barn....
Old 10-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
it is hard to believe that a 2' long x 1" diameter "stick" would leave a dent that looks like a basketball...
Like the high inline momentum of an arrow, I'll bet that the stick impacted straight into your end cap. Dang!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
.......Jim: fixing the heater is easy

1) completely disassemble the truck. the very last piece you find will be the heater core.
2) remove hoses from old heater
3) attach new heater core
4) re-assemble truck.

oh, I wish I wish I wish I wish I had a barn....
Yeah, that's pretty much how the shop manual describes it, too. I spent the day (the entire day) taking it all apart. What a pain.

Good luck tomorrow. I'll bet it's an easier fix than it looks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Yeah, that's pretty much how the shop manual describes it, too. I spent the day (the entire day) taking it all apart. What a pain.

Jim
I still vote for plan A, bypass the core, and wear long johns.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You need a heater in Georgia? Dang, I didn't know that. I thought that was one of those States where you ordered a vehicle with Air only. Does this mean you have a block heater too? As for removing the core are you using the factory manual or a Chiltons? I have found that often the Chilton type of manuals offer short cuts and work arounds that can eliminate a lot of the hassles..........or even some of the websites specific to your make of truck.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Would this work?

It looks like its behind the plastic headliner right?

Instead of spending two days to get that in an out..........

Cut an access hole in the plastic, say 18"x 18", push out or tap out the dent.

Then repair the plastic by placing the cutout back in and using an epoxy that comes in a tube, fillin the cut seam, sand and paint the whole plastic headliner with Krylon Fusion.

I would guess 3-4 hours?????

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Chuck, what the heck happened!!! How bad does it look from the inside.
Din't see any creases in it, may puu/push out. Mine had a nasty dent in the fron, CK did a great job making it go away, from the inside... Good Luck!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Please tell me this will pull out with a suction cup. It isn't creased...but it does span a seam. please please please
I think it will pop with a suction cup. It wouldn't hurt to try as long as you take it slow. We popped a similar dent in our '64 -- the only difference was our's didn't involve a seam. We have a dent puller if you would like to borrow it.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
This reminds me of what happened to us last weekend when we were taking down limbs over our Flying Cloud. I wanted to move the trailer but the other half insisted that as long as we tie off the limb then we can lower it in a controlled fashion past the Airstream.

Well, the short story is one of the limbs we tied off was tied off too far up the branch so when we cut the limb, it acted like a fulcrum and fell on top of the '54. You never saw two people move so fast coming down ladders, dropping chain saw, moving ladders to check out the damage. Luckily there was none. Definite lesson learned there and luckily for us no bad consequences in the learning.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
I'm going out shortly to assess the interior...but I really don't want to cut into the end cap. its in great shape...and another thing is that it is NOT a single color. haven't seen many like this, but it has a speckled finish that matches the look of the vinyl wallpaper on the aluminum skins, and its in perfect shape. (not discolored or yellowed at all). so I'd hate to loose that. most I've seen, in pics or in person, are a solid color...if not "restored", they're yellowed and ratty looking, so sure, paint would be a good thing.

I had a simple dent puller at one time...not sure if I can locate it, but it was just a suction cup w/ a handle...kind of large, too. 3 or 4". I was thinking...I have a few of these suction-mounted utility hook things...they're very strong, and give you something to hold onto, as well. smaller (1 and 2" sizes), so they could be used more precisely...do you think that would work?
Is there any particular technique I should apply? I think I remember people saying that they worked slowly from the edges in toward the middle...or should I just stick a suction cup in the center of the dent, and give a good yank?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Is there any particular technique I should apply? I think I remember people saying that they worked slowly from the edges in toward the middle...or should I just stick a suction cup in the center of the dent, and give a good yank?
Wet both the A/S and the underside of the puller so it glides over the surface. Start from the edges, give it some gentle pulls, and then move slowly into the middle repeating the "gentle pulls".

You can buy the dent puller with handle for under $5 at any auto store.