Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Ok, an update....

I checked out the interior...no damage there. I tried pushing up on the endcap, too, just to see if I could feel the dent at all...nope. So I went out and tried the suction cup hook thingie that I mentioned...just gave a slight tug and the whole thing popped out all at once. BUT...its not 100%. there are still a few wrinkles. I tried to work those out, but they're too slight. Maybe if I try to massage it from the inside, but I don't know...might be a permanent scar.

Its possible that I might be able to get to the back side of it without removing the interior end cap. I'd have to remove the cabinet that is part of the cap, over the gaucho. its not far beneath the affected area. might be able to reach it with that out. kind of a pita to take it out, though.

Or, do you think the normal expansion/contraction from everyday sunlight will work it out? hard to tell from the pics....I posted a few in my photo gallery.
http://www.airforums.com/photo...500&userid=291
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Ok, an update....

I checked out the interior...no damage there. I tried pushing up on the endcap, too, just to see if I could feel the dent at all...nope. So I went out and tried the suction cup hook thingie that I mentioned...just gave a slight tug and the whole thing popped out all at once. BUT...its not 100%. there are still a few wrinkles. I tried to work those out, but they're too slight. Maybe if I try to massage it from the inside, but I don't know...might be a permanent scar.

Its possible that I might be able to get to the back side of it without removing the interior end cap. I'd have to remove the cabinet that is part of the cap, over the gaucho. its not far beneath the affected area. might be able to reach it with that out. kind of a pita to take it out, though.

Or, do you think the normal expansion/contraction from everyday sunlight will work it out? hard to tell from the pics....I posted a few in my photo gallery.
http://www.airforums.com/photo...500&userid=291
Looks pretty darn good to me Chuck.
I say leave what's left as a beauty mark - I'd be willing to bet you will be the only one who notices it there.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Ok, an update.... I went out and tried the suction cup hook thingie that I mentioned...just gave a slight tug and the whole thing popped out all at once. BUT...its not 100%. there are still a few wrinkles. I tried to work those out, but they're too slight. Maybe if I try to massage it from the inside, but I don't know...might be a permanent scar.
I really like this sentiment that has been attributed to Jimmy Buffet:

"Oh well, you know that wrinkles only go where the smiles have been."

Having owned only a few pristine new things in my life, I prefer objects with honest wear marks on them that reveal use and enjoyment. Granted, your trailer may not have smiled after it was bonked in your driveway. But imagine a tale of high intrigue that left its mark behind. Mild wear and tear records adventures experienced, roads traveled and the occasional driveway suffered. My body carries a few small permanent scars from childhood misadventures, and I easily recall the story behind each one. So don't worry too much about the remaining small wrinkles; they come naturally with age in both human and trailer years.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
gee, I don't know if that makes me feel better, or worse. sure, it'd be one thing if it was the result of some high-adventure, like a ~fabulous~ cross-country trip..."gee, honey, did we get that dent on our 5th, or 6th trip across the country?"...or "that was the trip when we conceived our first child" ...or "remember when we hooked up the trailer and drove naked to the Woodstock music festival...and we got that dent?"....

but sitting in the driveway, parked...just waiting ever so patiently for such an adventure, the sort for which she was built....that's just freakin' sad.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
May be time to investigate the block of dry ice trick to try and erase the smaller wrinkles; IIRC it is letting aluminum bake in sunshine and quenching the periphery of the wrinkles with the supercold block of dry ice so the rapid contraction overcomes the slight ripple to resume the 'memory shape' of when it was stamp formed oringinally...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Chuck - what a relief for you that the major dent is out. My 51 has several places where it's had incidents over the years and although it would be nice to have it without them I've left them as part of the trailer. It still looks a whole lot better at it's age than I do at mine. In my mind it's just the stuff a trailer that's been used for what it is would have - experience. Yours looks pretty darned good now but if the dry ice thing works let me know. There's one from a branch last winter that I might consider trying it on. My wife says our trailer looks "like a 55 year old trailer is supposed to look - well cared for but not perfect".
Barry
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice going! Windy today too, Keep an eye out!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Chuck

Each of the extensions is 19" in length (or for my kit anyway). My wife says we bought two extension kits. The option might be to find one long piece of plastic tubing that you could adapt to your shop vac, but I like the fact I can disassemble this and put it away when not in use and it is made of very light but tough plastic. The screw to hold the sections together alleviated a lot of aggravation with them pulling or blowing apart while hanging from the gutter.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Warwick , Georgia
new member sorry bout the damage but I have a unit that a tree fell across and did damage to the outer layer and the inner layer and prayer has not seemed to fix it and at this time I dont have a clue rivets and sheet alum I guess thanks jim
Doctorpolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Chuck, I just looked at your pictures, and I would have to tell you to leave it alone. That will be tough, but I have learned that if you got something that bad 95% gone, anything else you do to it will go backwards.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And for my next trick...

Chuck, I got a strange dimple in mine. Looks like a golf ball hit it. I also used a suction cup and pulled it out, but it left a ghost... I took my hairdryer out and set it on hot and blew on the remaining dent. It almost completely disappeared and has now stayed stable for over a week. I didn't know about the dry ice, but heating carefully seems to assist it in losing the "border" that shows where the dent was.

Also tried the hair dryer trick on my little crease (acquired from an oncoming car on a narrow mountain road in West Va. "Ms. Toad's wild Ride") and it did not work there. I actually repaired the dented stone guard by opening it up and kneeing it in the dent. Popped out and stayed pretty much out. I then noticed that the trailing edge was bent in where the car had clipped it, then scratched the side. I straightened that with my bare hands just pulling the center toward me. I then re-kneed the spot in the middle of the guard and can barely see it.

Mine is 2006, so it doesn't have to be vintage to get it's first ding. Sending you sympathy Karma.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Chuck,
Glad to know you had some solid success with the repairs. Have two similar ---err--dimples on the bow of my 73 Soverign which I hope to soon attack. Lots of great repair hints with this one.
Many Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #33
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Chuck, have you considered a small Meteorite

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote