Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There was a gap between the top exhaust alum and the top base of the stove vent that would require some sort of caulking to keep the moisture out. It did come with a gasket, but it that was only for the base to snug up to the body of the trailer. In addition, I wasn't pleased that there were no retaining clips as found on the plastic vent. This meant that there would have been no way to secure the alum vent door and when the main entry door opened and closed, the vent door would move with the internal air pressures...though I would admit, having the inside arm closed would reduce or elim this issue. I really was disappointed not to see the clips on the factory sold alum stove vent and beside the clear gap outlined above, was not a good solution. Regardless if you close the inside arm or not, that vent door without the clips could just move freely in transit.

As for the furnace cover, the screw holes were not recessed as the atwood factory furnace cover. I found the screws sticking out to be somewhat unsightly, of course, this is just my opinion and is subjective...others may like this.

The water heater cover just didn't seem as perfect of a fit as the factory door. Again, subjective.

Bottom line, the stainless was ok quality. I was also not pleased with some of the weld marks on the inside not often seen side. I have ordered other stainless products and though more expensive, I was sort of looking for a bit higher quality and tolerances in the build that I personally felt were lacking.

I may just paint and clear mine when they get bad enough.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
_

. , .
oh i agree the units look "one off" basically because they are, and some look better than others.

i too was bugged about tiny welds and color changes in the stainless initially.

and some sharp edges (hey THAT's an a/s normal feature!) on the panels...

but once they were on and cleaned, the look is SO much better that original....

the stove vents from texas are stainless not aluminum, but they don't have retaining clips either.

i've found that a small magnet keeps it closed tightly and even when i forget water doesn't seem to enter during travel.

the wimpy stove fan is overmatched by the heavier door flap, so ya gotta use high speed to raise it...

i'm planning to supersize the stove FAN eventually.

it takes about 26 inches of door edge guard to completely wrap the mounting plate...

and then a fat bead of sealant right AT the screws/holes...

still you'd think on a 50,000 to 100,000 $ trailer,

they could cook up oem stuff better than the plastic/painted ventiline and those pot metal doors...

like craftman, i've been waiting for a stainless water fill door replacement, but we may not see one of those...

since david has moved on from 'stream enhancements...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I bought stainless steel heater, furnace, and kitchen vent doors from roger williams.
They look ok. Not the greatest quality control, however...
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I like the quality of the ones I received and the way they look .
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It sounds like what's available right now may be lacking the "Wow" factor! Someone with a good fab shop could make a mint!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Until you find what you want you could use some Aluminum spray paint color ((I know, I know))) on your cover, just to you find the cover you want... It will look better than the white one if your any good with a rattle can.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote