Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I think it is great for steel. I used it on my frame, sprayed it on with a cheap Harbor Freight touch up gun then just through the gun away. Not so sure it would work right with aluminum. Aluminum and Steel corrosion are quite a bit different and thus need to be treated differently.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
S0 is there any kind of sealant for aluminum corrosion like POR for steel? And any thoughts on rubberized or underbody coatings, any recommended applications for this type of product anywhere?
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I used the stuff on aluminum but don't have any long term data. I have also used this aluminized polyurathane paint. I put some of this on my side wraps just to see how long it would stay there on unprepped aluminum and it is stuck on there and shows no signs of pealing. It is similar to POR15 in that is uses a moisture cured polyurathane. There is an article below where a guy painted an old aluminum boat with good results.

ALUMINUM PAINT - Aluthane - MCU coating INFO PAGE

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Rippie,
Aluminum is ment to breath, it's way more porous than steel. Por works on steel because it works chemically with the rust to form a bond. The reason for Alclad is that pure aluminum exterior oxidizes (like copper turning green) and once that happens the metal is protected. Non Alclad aluminum can be pretreated, example anodised, like brand new Airstream's outer skin. Your problem is that water has been trapped for long periods of time and the Aluminum has been rooted through. Once that happens nothing can be put on it to prevent further oxidation except to get rid of it, meaning get to raw Aluminum; However you have none left. I also think that the rub rail that trapped the water on the outer skin is in part a design flaw and the way water can pool up on the inside c channel with steel in the middle makes the problem grow faster.

That is why I do not put on the rub rail and use another method as you can see in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinstream Rub Rail.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	199891  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How do you deal with the haphazard holes under the bumper trim without replacing the bottom panels all the way around the trailer?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Rippie,
Aluminum is ment to breath, it's way more porous than steel. Por works on steel because it works chemically with the rust to form a bond. The reason for Alclad is that pure aluminum exterior oxidizes (like copper turning green) and once that happens the metal is protected. Non Alclad aluminum can be pretreated, example anodised, like brand new Airstream's outer skin. Your problem is that water has been trapped for long periods of time and the Aluminum has been rooted through. Once that happens nothing can be put on it to prevent further oxidation except to get rid of it, meaning get to raw Aluminum; However you have none left. I also think that the rub rail that trapped the water on the outer skin is in part a design flaw and the way water can pool up on the inside c channel with steel in the middle makes the problem grow faster.

That is why I do not put on the rub rail and use another method as you can see in the picture.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote