Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Skin Replacement - Budget How Much?

We have decided to spend a little money and take the Airstream (1988 Excella) to a RV service shop and replace the following items:

1. Front, top center segment, (hail damage incurred by prior owner).
2. Curb side, front upper window segment (hail damage incurred by prior owner)
3. Curb side, middle Banana wrap, located at the front of the wheel well to the door steps (damage incurred by prior owner)
4. Curb side, rear Banana wrap (damage incurred by me when pulling out of the covered storage facility)

How much do you think we need to budget for each of these repairs?

Another question:

I haven't had good experience with service from the local authorized Airstream Dealer/Service shop (multiple bad experiences with 2 different Airstreams). A competive shop has opened with claims and unofficial endorsements of capabilities and knowledge. Would you utilize this option for these repairs if it was your Airstream or would you use a Dealer/Service shop recognized by Airstream as an "authorized" Service shop of Airstream? I'm thinking the "authorized" classification brings no value to me given:

A. The poor service I've experienced in the past with the "authorized" Service shop, and
B. Our Airstream has long been out of warranty so whether using an "authorized" Airstream Service shop or not has no relevance.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When all is said and done, about a grand per segment. As to who does it, well if you were unhappy with a dealer and the other guys say they can do it....

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
We have decided to spend a little money and take the Airstream (1988 Excella) to a RV service shop and replace the following items:

1. Front, top center segment, (hail damage incurred by prior owner).
2. Curb side, front upper window segment (hail damage incurred by prior owner)
3. Curb side, middle Banana wrap, located at the front of the wheel well to the door steps (damage incurred by prior owner)
4. Curb side, rear Banana wrap (damage incurred by me when pulling out of the covered storage facility)

How much do you think we need to budget for each of these repairs?

Another question:

I haven't had good experience with service from the local authorized Airstream Dealer/Service shop (multiple bad experiences with 2 different Airstreams). A competive shop has opened with claims and unofficial endorsements of capabilities and knowledge. Would you utilize this option for these repairs if it was your Airstream or would you use a Dealer/Service shop recognized by Airstream as an "authorized" Service shop of Airstream? I'm thinking the "authorized" classification brings no value to me given:

A. The poor service I've experienced in the past with the "authorized" Service shop, and
B. Our Airstream has long been out of warranty so whether using an "authorized" Airstream Service shop or not has no relevance.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.
Segments cost about $1000.00 to $1200.00 each, depending on which one and the shops labor rate.

The banana wraps are cheap, but painting them can cost more than the wrap.

The underbelly wrap, is available pre-finished, so there is no painting involved.

Usually. a shop that has never routinely done Airstream body work, is a horrible place to go.

If you want to check a shop out, that is not an Airstream dealer, ask them where they will get the metal, which will cost you more than if you use an Airstream dealer. Airstream parts can only be purchased from Airstream if your a dealer, unless your at the factory.

Then there is the freight charges which can add another $200 to $300 to the bill.

Ask them how they remove a segment, since the top and bottom of it is held in place with blind rivets, but don't tell them that. Also, ask them how do they seal the segments, prior to riveting. What kind of rivets will they use?

How about the Airstream dealer in Lubbock?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Mike and Andy. Thank you both for your replies.

Andy ... expecially thanks for your advice and suggestions that you give so many of us on this Forum. I would have never known to ask or consider many of your suggestions with regard to my specific questions on this particular thread. I personally thank you for your positive contributions to this Forum!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Mike and Andy. Thank you both for your replies.

Andy ... expecially thanks for your advice and suggestions that you give so many of us on this Forum. I would have never known to ask or consider many of your suggestions with regard to my specific questions on this particular thread. I personally thank you for your positive contributions to this Forum!
Your more than welcome.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Frank&Mike,
I assume the factory authorized shop is CC2. Who is the other shop you speak of?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Lance - Your assumption correct. The alternate shop is TK RV (Lockhart, TX). I can share some information with you that was provided to us if interested. Let me know and I can forward the email information.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Frank&Mike,
Yes I would very much like the info. Have you any experience with Country Tyme RV near Georgetown? It is one of the few places around that wasn't hesitant to work on an AS when I was calling around. I just haven't used them before. Thanks

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Frank and Mike,

I was climbing all over your trailer last Feb, and didn't even notice these dents. Are you two that sure you want to incure such costs to replace what i found barely noticeable? Of course that's my subjective thoughts on the matter. Owners always know where the defects are, and some people just HATE to have them

Steve
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Frank and Mike,

I am inclined to agree with Steve. I think you saw my hail damage at the Balloon Fiesta.

We voted to live with it. Part of my logic gets to the fact that it isn't leaking now. I have stayed away from panel replacement three different times using the same logic. Character marks are great conversation starters.

I will send a PM with some anecdotal info on hail repair that I accumulated.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for your replies Steve and Jim. I also agree with you both that it's a tough pill to swallow to spend the $ on replacing the hail damage segments. I probably do notice it more than most people. I did notice one thing. I stripped the clearcoat (which was failing and drawing the eye to that area) and then waxed those segments. It seemed to help those hail dimples not look so obvious.

Tags
excella, exterior, skin