Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #1

1973 25' Tradewind
Arlington , VA
Skin Help in VA

I'm working on my 1973 Tradewind which has 2 minor dents and some scrapes, but nothing too bad. My Renovation guy asked me to find someone with specific experience in aluminum dents and fixing them, because he doesn't trust anyone on our team to do it. We're currently removing the interior skins so it would be a lot easier now for someone to work on this.

Does anyone know of anyone in the DC/VA/MD area?
jefferiesfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

What you will likely find is that any body shop folks will tell you that they can't do much with dents in aluminum because the material actually gets stretched. That being said, several people have had good luck removing dents using an English Wheel (but this requires you to remove the entire segment/panel), or to work the dent from the inside using a "dent roller." Then again, if it is a flat sheet panel, the slickest thing to do might just to be to replace it.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There is also the "suck it out" method, which many people have done successfully. This works best if there is a dished in area that does not have any hard creases. For small dished in areas a plain old plunger can do the trick. I've only seen it done once, and there are probably a dozen variations, but here goes. Put Vaseline on the plunger surface to make the seal tighter, then GENTLY compress the plunger on the dished in area by holding a small area of the lip UP so air can escape. Pull straight up slowly, and when you hear metal pop, stop pulling and use a finger to lift the lid until air can get back in. Inspect. If it looks great or "just needs a bit more pull" STOP. Sunlight and time will erase it 99% and only you will ever notice where it was. There are actually dent pullers specially designed to do this task, and they come in various diameters. Harbor Freight, or of course Amazon will have them, but you can also fill propane bottles at HF.
BIG DISHED IN AREAS - this fix may be on YouTube. Tools needed: wet-dry vac, tire inner tube slightly bigger than the dish, inflated but squishy, piece of plywood 1/4 to 3/8" thick that will cover the inner tube. Drill a circular hole in the center of the plywood that fits the hose of the wet-dry vac or is a bit smaller. Put the inner tube over the dish sealing it as much as possible. On a curved panel, lower the air pressure in the tube til it flexes. Place the plywood over the tube and press down to seal. Put the vac hose over or in the hole and suck the sh** out of it. Turn off, Remove and check the results.
INNER PANEL REMOVED? From the inside, push the dent out using a somewhat under inflated basketball [emoji459].
Old 10-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Scrapes: say PATINA. Antique silver services gain elegance with the patina of age. PATINA reveals that they have been used and cherished.