Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
So, since this damage occured at home, I called my agent about making an insurance claim. He stated "the policy excludes damages from wind to motorhomes and travel trailers unless they are inside of a building"
The trailer insurance refused to pay on the claim? What company?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
The trailer insurance refused to pay on the claim? What company?
Think he's talking about his homeowners policy.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
dent

Moparjohn, Did you call Colonial Airstream down the shore? They might be able to give you some tips.

Where in Ringoes do you live? We are in Hillsborough on Amwell Road right by Clover Hill and have our 30 foot classic sitting in the driveway ready to head down south. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Guess I'd just get a quote to fix it, put in a claim to the insurance company, and get it fixed. Then I'd probably polish it up to minimize the difference of the new panels.

I had hail damage on a motorhome once and the insurance guy came out, wrote me a big check, and left. I used the settlement to buy down the price and sold it in a week.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
What great information. Somebody backed into our AS over Labor Day weekend. We know where it happened, but by the time we saw the dent in the rear quarter we were up in the mountains setting up camp at 10,000 feet in the Rockies. I was sick, almost as ill as Moparjohn. I really know how you feel! Only a good whisky was able to even begin to settle me down.
So we're going to look into these suction things and/or probably take it to a hail dent repair shop. It's good to know you've had such success without having to replace the panel.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Wolf, I am off 202 right by Heron Glen golf course, the farm that is now HG was my grandfahters. I do not have trailer insurance, better get some eh? Colonial only does replacement panels. Jimmy, have not found anyone to repair the dent, yet. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #27
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I can't add much to the suggestions you already have about getting a dent repair expert in with his little pullers. That would be my first pass at it if I lived in the US. Or I would buy the equipment and become proficient at it myself, more likely.

But I wanted to tell you other guys out there who insist on keeping your toys like new for as long as you can:

Do not EVER let anyone talk you into moving to the tropics. Do not do it. You will spend a lot of time frustrated because you simply cannot keep things looking new, or even functional. You have to change your attitude, and realize that all material things are temporary. They just are more temporary in some places than others.

Bottom line, don't let this grind your stomach ulcers. Just go with the flow and get it fixed and forget about it. Life goes a lot better that way.

I've just had a six year crash course in it.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I do not have trailer insurance, better get some eh?
In my world, everything has insurance. It's either agency insured, or self insured.

Hope the repairs go well.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
In an effort to park our AS in the precisely perfect place in our back yard, I did a number on the rear, top, curbside corner panel. Did that tree move closer to the fence, when I looked away? I guess it is time to do some more research and look at my options. BTW the "close the windows and slam the door, so the dents will all pop out," trick doesn't work.
bill b. (on an adventure in alumiland)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Here is a picture of the dent (I hope). I ordered a suction cup dent puller at an auto paint and body supply ($14.99) and it should be here any day now. I have a couple of questions. Is there a weather condition or temperature when the aluminum would be most responsive? From looking at the picture can you tell if I may have bent a rib? When working on the part at the seam would it be adventageous to remove the rivets from the portion of the seam that is within the dent? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
bill b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamdent2011.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	144917  
Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Bilby,
I tried a dent puller from a auto store, did not work. If you have success (hope so!) please post the kind you bought. You dent is simular, but a little bigger than mine. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #32
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Quote:
Bilby,
I tried a dent puller from a auto store, did not work. If you have success (hope so!) please post the kind you bought. You dent is simular, but a little bigger than mine. MPJ
My dent puller is a 6 in diameter one. Too big. Could not find a large enough surface to lay flat on. Need to find a smaller one, or maybe something that will allow me to get a grip.
cheers, bill b.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05 View Post
My dent puller is a 6 in diameter one. Too big. Could not find a large enough surface to lay flat on. Need to find a smaller one, or maybe something that will allow me to get a grip.
cheers, bill b.
Is there a reason you can't just roll out the dent from the inside? I'm pretty happy with the way mine rolled out. I'll post more pictures after I strip the clearcoat and buff the finish next spring.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #34
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Access to it is the problem with working from the inside. Agreed that would be the way to go, except that it is a rear bath and it looks like I would have to remove the entire bath room to get at it. May look further into that approach if I can not find a smaller suction cup.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Battle Scars

I do not mind a few battle scars myself, but then I like it that my trailer sort of matches me, I also have a beauty mark---or two---or three----maybe a few more

Some folks like something close to 100% others don't care that much if the blemish is minor. Go with the level you like.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #36
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Access achieved

Name:	dent access combo.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	145980Access achieved...partly. By removing part of the bathroom endcap, behind the light fixture. See attached picture, a composite of how it was removed and the size of the access hole. Now to find the proper tools, or make wooden ones, to push out the dent. I noticed I could push out some with the heel of my hand.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Don't start that insulation on fire with the heat gun. I don't know if that stuff would burn but I bet the plastic endcap would. I'd pull all that insulation out that you can. You can always stuff it back in. I had the endcap out of mine and I just glued the insulation back on the outside skin with 3M spray adhesive #77 when I was finished rolling the dent.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #38
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Flammable Insulation?

I'll have to watch for that. I have a bunch of it out, so maybe I will try to light it and see if it burns. That would be good to know anyway. I plan on stuffing some of the pink insulation back in. I have used the kind with a paper backing on some other spots in the rear and it holds itself in place pretty well.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #39
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
No Burn Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05 View Post
I'll have to watch for that. I have a bunch of it out, so maybe I will try to light it and see if it burns. That would be good to know anyway. I plan on stuffing some of the pink insulation back in. I have used the kind with a paper backing on some other spots in the rear and it holds itself in place pretty well.
Checked the old insulation for flammability, and its not. I tried to lite it with a butane lighter and it would not light. But I will be putting in pink insulation anyway. I don't think they even make the yellow stuff anymore anyway.

This the photo of the hand push dent removal step.

I ordered the steel radius j-roller so It should be in in the next few days and if the weather is still warm and sunny I will try to finish the smoothing out of the dent.
will try to post pictures. I keep getting mixed up on the two different threads on dent stuff.
cheers, bill b.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first effort2012.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	148897  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Crunchy panel

I have a question about "rolling out" dents. I'm assuming this requires removal of the skin, right?

From what I've read, it seems that we'll be able to pull out the large shallow dent on the top, but that front curbside panel looks pretty crunchy. Don't know if it is even a good candidate for rolling out, but you guys have posted a lot of inspiration.

Any estimates on what it would cost to replace? It's a '73 Tradewind.

(And while we're at it, can I get an "M"?)

Thank you!

Alana