Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Screw holes in my skin

I'm looking for a way to repair screw holes in the skin of my bubble. The previous owner screwed in some ugly reflectors down below the marker lights. I took off the reflectors but now need a way to cover the holes. Please help! Thanks
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I had the same thing. I used Olympic rivets and shaved them. Hardly noticeable, what's a few more rivets if they look factory done?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
My wife says I have a few holes in my head...should I use Buck or Olympic rivets???? ! What about shaving it... .
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
My wife says I have a few holes in my head...should I use Buck or Olympic rivets???? ! What about shaving it... .
Buck rivets are more original but you need to have access to the interior end to flare them with a bucking bar. You probably will need to use Olympics which go in with a pop-rivit tool. you then have to trim off the shaft and "shave' it to look like original. I do this carefully with my Dremel. A real shaver tool cost bucks!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

us too, our bubble had reflectors screwed to it plus several other items in various odd places. we are opting for the olympic rivets. our reflectors were on so long that we have skin damage under them how did yours fare ?
roger
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

reflector damage

There was also an adhesive used under the reflectors. I'm hoping once I get the adhesive removed the skin will be ok beneath. I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger n cindy
us too, our bubble had reflectors screwed to it plus several other items in various odd places. we are opting for the olympic rivets. our reflectors were on so long that we have skin damage under them how did yours fare ?
roger
Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Where to get rivets

Is there somewhere I can buy a small amount of rivets, or do I have to buy a box of 100 at Airstream Dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
I had the same thing. I used Olympic rivets and shaved them. Hardly noticeable, what's a few more rivets if they look factory done?

FF
Old 09-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #8
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Buying Rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58BUBBLE
Is there somewhere I can buy a small amount of rivets, or do I have to buy a box of 100 at Airstream Dreams?
Go too Airstream.com and you will find that they sell the rivets in small lots and cheaper than anyone I have found.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger n cindy
roger
I had a few strange items attached to mine, also. Most notably a mailbox!
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

rivet confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Go too Airstream.com and you will find that they sell the rivets in small lots and cheaper than anyone I have found.

Don
I am confused by all the rivets for sale at airstream.com.
I need to do some general interior rivet replacement and I need to rerivet the stone guards on the front of the trailer. Also on the belly some rivets have pulled through.
Any help on which rivets to purchase?
Thanks,
dik
dikku@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Types of rivits...

The interior rivits on my 1973 all appear to be standard 1/8" aluminum pop-rivits available at places like Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware. You can get them in plain aluminum color or white (at least).

On the outside of my AS there appear to be three types in use:

1.) The original bucked style rivits that hold all the body panels in place.

2.) Olympic rivits (blind rivits) that look like the originals once the installation shaft has been shaved off. Some of these have been put in by PO's and some by me. Inland RV is offering them in a package of 100 for $19.95.

3.) Normal aluminum pop-rivits of the HD, Lowes and Ace Hardware garden variety. These rivits need to be in a couple of difrerent lengths depending on what they are holding on. Some are used for most all of the trim strips of various kinds. Some are used to hold on clearancd lights and other such things. I have found that 1/8" diameter long rivits seem to be the most useful for beltline trim and clearance lights. The belly pan does not need the Olympic or bucked rivits. When I took parts of mine off there seemed to be an assortment of sizes. Some were larger and had washers - apparently where the holes had enlarged due to wear and tear. Some seem to 1/8" and some 3/16". I am thinking of sticking with the 3/16" size when I put my belly pan parts back on. Some people have used stainless steel screws for the belly pan.

I hope this helps clear up some of the issues.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtolman
I had a few strange items attached to mine, also. Most notably a mailbox!
Must have been used to receive 'Air' mail!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote