Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Rub Rail and Metal Screws

On the rub rail that covers where the exterior aluminum panels meet the belly pan, someone has replaced missing rivets with sheet metal screws. No doubt, these have created a larger diameter hole than originally needed for the rivets. Can I simply drill the hole out and install a new, larger diameter rivet to correspond with this new diameter hole?

Also, I keep seeing references to #21, # 11 & #30 drill bits. All of the drill bits I see in my local hardware stores are fractional. Does anyone know where I can get these numbered drill bits?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
On the rub rail that covers where the exterior aluminum panels meet the belly pan, someone has replaced missing rivets with sheet metal screws. No doubt, these have created a larger diameter hole than originally needed for the rivets. Can I simply drill the hole out and install a new, larger diameter rivet to correspond with this new diameter hole?

Also, I keep seeing references to #21, # 11 & #30 drill bits. All of the drill bits I see in my local hardware stores are fractional. Does anyone know where I can get these numbered drill bits?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cameron,

Inland RV had the number drill bits in a set of seven, I think, for about $8 US. However, they only ship orders totaling over $25, so you could order three sets or something else.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Cameron,

Number drill bits are in-between the fractional sizes. Look at a local machine shop supplier or go to www.mcmaster.com.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I am doing a aft end replacement on a 1997 and the factory has used long screws and rivets. Might use the long screws to draw the moulding into position for the rivets. I am in the take apart stage.
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmissar
I am doing a aft end replacement on a 1997 and the factory has used long screws and rivets. Might use the long screws to draw the moulding into position for the rivets. I am in the take apart stage.
Paul
Did they stagger/alternate the rivets with long screws?

Thanks for the tips on the drill bits lewster and wkerfoot, I found a local machine shop supplier that has them in stock.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote