Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Roof loads

Newby here asking a simple question.

Can the roof of my 2008 Safari handle the weight of myself? (a modest 185lbs)

I need to look into the sealant around my rear FF housing due to a slight leak. Had a moderate rain and noticed water coming through the ceiling speaker and traced it to the FF housing. Seems that trhere is a split in the housing directly in the center on the hinge side. Placed some Acrilic caulk in some areas and protected it from further puddeling.

Well now I need to take a closer look and was wondering about the load limit of the roof.

Any hints on the crack and leak? and what to seal it with? Silkaflex or vulkem?

Any load limits on lbs/ft^2?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Sphere Guy. The ribs can support feet. Don't step on any part of the end caps at all! To get up there from a ladder -- where it will contact the curved side of the 'Stream, lash a padded 2x4 that will span two ribs. Only step on rib rivet lines. For a kneeler you can use a padded piece of wood -- again, that will cross at least 2 ribs. Careful -- it's slippery up there!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Newby here asking a simple question.

Can the roof of my 2008 Safari handle the weight of myself? (a modest 185lbs)

I need to look into the sealant around my rear FF housing due to a slight leak. Had a moderate rain and noticed water coming through the ceiling speaker and traced it to the FF housing. Seems that trhere is a split in the housing directly in the center on the hinge side. Placed some Acrilic caulk in some areas and protected it from further puddeling.

Well now I need to take a closer look and was wondering about the load limit of the roof.

Any hints on the crack and leak? and what to seal it with? Silkaflex or vulkem?

Any load limits on lbs/ft^2?

Thanks.
Many years ago, at the Jackson Center plant, Airstream placed 30 men on top of a 30 foot Airstream trailer. Somewhere there is a photo that was taken.

You can walk on the roof, just as the Airstream mechanics do as well as service department mechanics.

The trick is to walk on the main bows, or the horizontal stringers. Doing so, will not cause any damage or problems. Wear rubber soled shoes. CAUTION: If the roof is wet, STAY OFF, until it's dry again.

But, keep in mind, that the roof is not a dance floor, so to walk on it, is OK, but bee bopping should only be done on the ground.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've been on top of a couple of them changing the airconditioner shroud, and didn't do any damage, and I don't really want to talk about how much I weigh. But, I did stay on the rivet lines.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I get one of my young sons to go up there. Its much easier when your younger. I just supervise. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Thanks All

I dare let my son up there as he's a bit bigger than myself. He can stay on the ground and catch me if I fall! Won't even consider the spouse... Don't go there!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I just had the same leak on my trailer. I removed all of the caulking from the rear fantastic fan. The plastic housing had cracks at most of the screw holes. It looks like the factory over tightened them. Some of the cracks extended up the vertical riser. My leaks came down the wall of the trailer and weakened the floor. I used the git rot on the floor and actually replaced the fantastic fan. I probably could of gotten by with a ton of vulkem up almost to the clear plastic lens but thought otherwise and sprung for a new one.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote