Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Riveting questions

First, I hope I'm not running a question into the ground, I have looked at several threads on rivets and have a couple of questions I couldn't find answers on. Would really appreciate some help. Are Olympic rivets w/ washers used on Airstreams? The only info I could find was not to use them because they crack, dry-out. When we purchased our '69 last year I bought two boxes of each washer and washerless.
One more ... we are resealing the front swing out window and the rivets on the frame have a much smaller head than the olympics...could you educate me on what type these are and where I could buy some to replace the worn out ones. If you need me to I can take a pic.
Lassie and I thank you immensely for any assist you can give.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
we just did one...

mindy

rickstream and i just did a front window repair on his '74 excella.

most if not all of your questions should be answered here...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=10794

rivets with washers are not the way to go!

john

on edit, call andy at inland and see what he thinks about what sealant/tape to use on the frame...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks John ...you too Rickstream,
Great pictorial of your harrrrd work. You guys answered all my questions and more. I'm puzzled though why do they sell rivets with washers? What are they used for? Interior maybe? Here I am asking another question but the curiosity lingers. Really appreciate your help. GRRRRR! thats good John, felt like that a few times lately.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
Old 04-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mindy,
the rivets with washers are used in various building applications, also have seen them used in a high vibration application like dirt track cars. I would not use them on my AS. Use a small glob of Vulkem on the end of the rivet before you use it. The rivets that are used on the AS when it is manufactured are bucked rivets. Kind of hard to explain. But to install them you have to be able to access both sides(ends) of the rivets. Olympic makes a pop rivet that is very close in head size to the orginal bucked rivets. But after it is installed you will need to grind (shave) the head down with either a dremel tool or a rivet shaver. When I get back home I will check and see what number Oly rivet I am using. BTW John great set of pictures on the window redo on Rick's AS. My front window leaks appear to be at the stone guard...installed with sillycone...of course!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Smile Thanks Aaron

Hi! Aaron,
Whew! you posted just in time...my husband and I were having a discussion about the rivets w/ washers and he was going to use them on the roof without vulkem. Needless to say I was objecting because of the forums encyclopedia of knowledge on this very subject. Now I have proof in hand thanks to you guys who know the best way. He respects those that have gone before... Thanks so much... "Lassie" suffered enough "TT abuse" from the PO. This AS is going to shine someday thanks to all of you and Inland Andy.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
Old 04-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Don't fret

Just take the washer off those rivets and use them washerless.

If you have too many rivets PM me and if the right stock number I might be interested.
Are you the only Airstream you know of in Angelina area?

Regards
jaco
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi! Jaco,
What a terrific idea :-)
Brand new box of 100...Since you gave me such a great alternative think I will go ahead and use them that way, we have a lot to replace. If we should ever meet at a rally, I bake a great Cherry Pie...or? I owe you one.
No, in fact a guy driving by last weekend spotted our Airstream and stopped to tell us about "Texas Airstream Harbor" Unit 103 located in Zavalla, not far from here. It is a fulltime AS Park? not sure exactly what you call it. Sounds really nice they have their own fishing lake. He put us on the Unit Newsletter list and invited us out for a social they are having. Hope to go. Jaco, thank you for the rivet idea...thought I was going to have to make windchimes out of them. Hmmm maybe with the leftovers.
Mindy WBCCI #5672