Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Oregon
Riveting problem (minor)

Hi
I climbed into the trailer the other day and noticed that one of the rivet flanges/heads had come off the overhead near the door and was laying on the floor. (2015 23FB Flying Cloud). Should I be worried? Is this something easy to repair? My first instinct was to get a drop of Krazy glue and stick it back up there, but that's not a good solution. The overhead seems to be solid and in place. I don't like the fact the rivet head is missing, I still have the piece, what are my options?
Thanks!
Delcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Replace the rivet. Not difficult but the first time you do it is a little scary. Helps to have stop collar on the drill bit.

Here is a complete rivet kit.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Oregon
Riveting -- a little scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Replace the rivet. Not difficult but the first time you do it is a little scary. Helps to have stop collar on the drill bit.

Here is a complete rivet kit.

I have a pop-rivet tool what size Rivets (length) should I use? Also, the size of drill bit (looks like a small diameter) and how deep do I need to drill? Sorry, I am a real newbie at this Air Stream owning, so I have only a small clue....
Old 01-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Popped rivets can be easily replaced by drilling out the rivet and replacing, as you likely know. Drill out the rivet with missing head using a drill bit the size of the shaft still in the hole (assuming you don't know how big a drill to use. Number 30 drill seems to work for most rivets on the AS. Be careful not to go too deep with the drill...it will be easy to pull out once you get the bit inside the shaft or hole. The left over shaft will come loose easily with the drill and you can then replace with the new rivet. The new rivet will snap off when it fills the hole. Since these are pop rivets, you may have a little rough edge, but easy to file off if you want. These Youtubes should help you; both Olympic for outside and poprivets inside. Not rocket science...

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/story/rivet-guide/

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...nt-information
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
This is common, I'll bet there are more missing on the inside as well. No problem, though. Use 1/8" rivets, you likely won't have to drill the missing ones out. Just place the rivet in the hole and squeeze your rivet gun. The second squeeze will likely be the one to pop. Keep a firm grip, though - the gun will try to jump to the side and if you don't hold firmly, you may make a small mark on the skin.

The Airstream tech I talked to said it is unlikely you'll have to replace the ones that you put in.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
I had lost a couple.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
We average a popped rivet every 2000 miles. Depending on the quality of the roads you traverse YMMV. Shreveport I-20 count on one or two through city.

Put a little pressure on the back of the rivet tool with lefty as you pump the trigger with righty.

Search online for the chart of rivets Airstream uses. There are three drill bit sizes. I gave up trying to keep it straight so now each bag of rivets contains a drill bit sized for the rivets in the bag.

As mentioned previously, go just deep enough to drill out the old rivet. It is not very deep. You’ll know when it’s clear enough for a new rivet.

Then take a tour of the trailer’s rivets. You may find more popped.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Popped rivets can be caused by having your tire PSI too high

Several posts/opinions about what tire pressure to run with your tires, but be aware that running your tires at MAX psi can contribute to popped rivets, broken hinges and broken latches. Popped rivets can happen anyway due to the movement of the aluminum panels traveling down the road...but as an old Navy Aircraft Airframes guy, I replaced many rivets on all types of aircraft- shore based and also on carriers. Popped rivets are not a big deal, assuming you don't have them all the time. Broken latches and broken hinges and frequent popped rivets can be a sign your PSI on your tires is too high...just be aware.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Oregon
Riveting and so on...

Thanks all for the information, I feel like I can do this now and not poke a hole through my roof.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Rivits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcarr View Post
Hi
I climbed into the trailer the other day and noticed that one of the rivet flanges/heads had come off the overhead near the door and was laying on the floor. (2015 23FB Flying Cloud). Should I be worried? Is this something easy to repair? My first instinct was to get a drop of Krazy glue and stick it back up there, but that's not a good solution. The overhead seems to be solid and in place. I don't like the fact the rivet head is missing, I still have the piece, what are my options?
Thanks!
I can only offer something to avoid popped pop rivets. When you set up, after you have leveled the Airstream, lower your stabilizers just to the ground, then a slight pressure to the ground. If you go too far, you will twist the Airstream, then on to the next stabilizer. If you go too far it will also contort the Airstream body, and with the other two, the same. This twist in the body will not necessarily be visible but it doesn't take much. This can and will cause the rivets to blow.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If* Airstream Andy was still around there would be an educational post on running gear balancing - the brake drum / wheel / tire balanced as a complete assembly, the heaviest sides of each put 120 degrees apart before adding balance weights on the rims… near the door could be a sloppy install but it is a flex point, but look around and behind cabinets etc. for rivet flanges showing a grey shadow against the liner, they are feeling motion instead of being clamped.

Out of balance running gear with harmonic shimmey & shake will eat liner pop rivets.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
rivet tool

Hi, not to take away business, but $150 is a bit pricey for a rivet tool. I ordered rivets from airstream or woodland airstream supply and the rivet gun from amazon. Never really needed the swiveling head gun. Get a good selection of rivets to keep on hand. Originally I got the Marson rivet kit, but my wife didn't like the rivets included. They were not the correct spec., she worked logistics for the Air Force in Civil Service and after checking the specs on the marson rivets, they were different than the airstream rivets.

https://www.amazon.com/Marson-39000-...s%2C112&sr=8-3

Don't hate me for saving money.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
As Airstreams have become newer the rivet spacing has been increasing. If you look at older Airstreams, the exterior rivet spacing was around 3 inches on the stringers and frames, and around 1.250 on the sheet seems. The interior skin rivet spacing has also increased as the trailers get newer. It is my humble opinion, that as the trailers get newer the shells are losing their strength in both compression and torsion. This reduction in the rivet count is what is causing all of these popped rivets as fewer rivets are caring more load, so the rivets start failing.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:46 PM   #14
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I can confirm what Aerowood said. On my previous Airstream (2020 25 Foot Flying Could) I had 1 rivet that kept popping out while towing. I finally placed 2 rivets on each side evenly spaced and that solved the problem. It never popped out again.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote