Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Rivet popped, Trim coming off on door

When I was cleaning my 2018 AS Flying Cloud FB23 this week in preparation for our first trip of the season, I noticed the trim on the door (midway up the door) was coming off on the hinge side. Upon closer inspection I can see that the rivet that holds the trim on has popped out and there appears to be a crack in the skin of the door (see attached Pic). I am sure we have not pulled of the trim in anyway and unsure if this will be covered by warranty and with our closest dealer, a $300 ferry ride each way to tow the unit wondering about other solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225 (002).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	368734  
Cdn Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Easy Fix

I just went and looked at my 2014 27FB International and that is not a split in the door, that is the seam between the upper and lower half of the door skin that is covered by that trim.

As far as re-attaching the trim, that is an easy fix. The plastic insert in the center of the trim is held on with double sticky tape. Carefully pry off about a foot to give you some working room and cut or drill out the rivet that has come loose.

Then install a new rivet or two to re-secure the trim channel, with your favorite sealant behind it and then re-stick the plastic insert, using glue if needed.

I have found over the years that traveling to a dealer for the small stuff is a huge waist of time, most things you can fix yourself. If you do not have a Pop Rivet gun, you may as well get one with an assortment of rivets, and learn how to use it. Someday, you are going to loose some interior rivets (this is normal) that will need to be replaced. You don't want to travel to a dealer to replace a ten cent rivet that only takes thirty seconds.

Good luck
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote