Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Ohio
Rivet advice needed.

2021 FC RB Twin - 2nd season. end of 1st season lost a rivet on the front/exterior, lowest rivet center left above the left (cubside) frame rail. Bought a rivet kit, drilled out the broken shank, and replaced with a split rivet. 1st time ever setting a rivet. It was tight and looked good. Just returned from our 2nd trip this season, and found that the same rivet location had again broken off. Should I just replace it again or should I include it with punchlist for JC when I go in for 2nd year maintenance and warranty work in late fall? I noticed a black smudge trail below the rivet before it failed. There is the same trail below the corresponding rivet (currently still in place) on the streetside. We have a total of 6500 miles of trailering. No off-roading! Very light weight distribution on hitch. Thoughts from the wise and experienced?
Spike
SpikePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
You Being from Ohio, I would take to JC and have them fix it. Put the burden on them for any more episodes
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
If you're going there anyways why not have them do it.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The black dust is caused my movement between two pieces of aluminum. As you have already sheared 2 rivets, IMHO you have failure starting in the section of your trailer. Don’t let JC just put another rivet in the hole, but have them look a little deeper t
In your trailers front structures.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The rivets I lose are always from the same place. I think it's just an alignment issue. The stress at that particular point shears the rivets. It's not a big deal. There are thousands of rivets in an Airstream. Missing one or two will not make any difference. Keep replacing them and don't worry about it, or don't bother replacing them.

If the empty rivet hole bothers you, glue rivet head in it.