Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Manzanita , Oregon
Replace entire roof, am I crazy?

Just bought a 76 argosy in decent shape and am fixing it up and having a good time doing so. Climbed on the roof today to figure out which vents I was going to cover, where to put a skylight, solar panels, etc. and discovered that the last owners painted the whole darn roof panel with some sort of thick bumpy rubberized crud!

I'm sure it could be stripped somehow but I imagine the stuff is there in the first place to stop leaks.

I could just say heck with it and do whatever I was planning to do right over this stuff but that seems wrong to do if I'm going to the trouble to make the trailer nice again.

So that leaves one thinking about replacing the entire 57" x 16' sheet.

Having never drilled a buck rivet before I have to ask, is this insane? There's a lot of rivets up there. How long would something like this take?

Also, what is the old sheet sealed with at the seams? Can I even get it apart if I try?

And, where does one get a single sheet of the right kind of aluminum that wide and that long? What is the right kind of aluminum?

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks
Brian Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Schulz View Post
Just bought a 76 argosy in decent shape and am fixing it up and having a good time doing so. Climbed on the roof today to figure out which vents I was going to cover, where to put a skylight, solar panels, etc. and discovered that the last owners painted the whole darn roof panel with some sort of thick bumpy rubberized crud!

I'm sure it could be stripped somehow but I imagine the stuff is there in the first place to stop leaks.

I could just say heck with it and do whatever I was planning to do right over this stuff but that seems wrong to do if I'm going to the trouble to make the trailer nice again.

So that leaves one thinking about replacing the entire 57" x 16' sheet.

Having never drilled a buck rivet before I have to ask, is this insane? There's a lot of rivets up there. How long would something like this take?

Also, what is the old sheet sealed with at the seams? Can I even get it apart if I try?

And, where does one get a single sheet of the right kind of aluminum that wide and that long? What is the right kind of aluminum?

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks
When on ground level can you see the bumpy roof and does it leak?
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would try stripping the panel first before replacing it.

The paint was probably cool coat or something to try and keep the cooler in the sun.

Odds are that the roof is in good shape under the paint.

Try Aircraft remover. I expect it will work pretty well.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
P.S. If you replace that roof without trying to strip it, yea you are crazy...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This stuff may have stopped leaks as well as protected against the sun. Ask yourself if you're sure it should come off before you start. It does probably look like crap, but it might scrub up nicely.

Just a suggestion... good luck on your renovation.

Paula
Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'd definitely try cleaning it, removing it if you aren't happy with the outcome.... Are solar panels in the plan? By the time you get done with vents, fans and solar there's very little roof area showing! .
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If it can't be seen from the ground, tell me again what the problem is...??
Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, drilling out bucked rivets and replacing a panel is not as bad as you would think...it's actually a fun project. We have replaced several panels on a couple of different trailers. There is butyl tape or some other kind of "glue/sealant" that is between the panel seams - this seal needs to be broken, but can be done with a large knife slid between the panels. Then you use the existing panel as a template to drill the holes for the new rivets...(see my link above for step-by-step & pics).

Getting new aluminum the right size isn't a problem either...but it won't be painted beige like your Argosy - it will be raw aluminum or panted white. We purchased our 2024-T3 aluminum online at Airparts, Inc. We ordered a 30+ foot long piece because we were replacing several panels on three different trailers. They sell it by the foot...

Is the interior stripped or still "in place"? If you plan on bucking rivets for the new roof panel, the interior panels will have to be removed to access the backside. Otherwise you can use Olympic Rivets and leave the interior in place. If you are going to do that many Olympic rivets, you will definately want to purchase a rivet shaver.

But, this is on an Argosy, right? If you try stripping the roof with Aircraft Stripper it would be pretty impossible to not get stripper on the painted sides of the trailer. Are you planning on stripping and polishing/painting the whole trailer? If you replace the roof section - it would be aluminum - not painted to match the rest of the trailer...and the Argosy end caps are not aluminum so they have to be painted something. I have seen a couple of polished Argosys, but they have the end caps painted - sometimes a color sometimes "silver". It actually looks okay...

Are you crazy? Not sure...that's for you to decide. I wouldn't hesitate doing it on a trailer that was undergoing a complete restoration...but there is a little more to consider with a painted Argosy that's in good shape otherwise. Hope these points help you think through the process. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote