Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Repair process for dented rear exterior

Hi all - managed to back into a stationary object the other day. Dang.

Used a pneumatic dent puller and got some of the dent out.

At this point I believe the rub-rail (or whatever its called) may be preventing the skin from popping out any further.

My plan is to remove the rub-rail (perhaps I can salvage it, but more likely will need to be replaced as I believe removal will probably damage it further), then spend some time pulling the skin dents out with the pneumatic puller. The skin is not accessible from the inside (its behind the shower wall).

Replacement of the exterior skin is not in the budget. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I'm also confident it can be "pretty good".

Not quite sure how to proceed on removing the rub-rail, or where to get a new one.

Any advice appreciated.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The rails are easy to come by. I've seen links to online sellers here on the forum from time to time. Vintage Trailer Supply has many of them. You take out the plastic inner strip to access the rivets. Be Aware the rails conceal sheet seams/joints.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Rub Rail Extrusion Part #115546
Rub Rail 1" Chrome Insert Part# 201763-100

Go to Airstreams website and download the PDF parts book for your trailer. It is very handy to have.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
I had a Paintless dent repair guy fix my ding. It is perfect. I was amazed. Anyway, The local dealer had the rub rail for our Safari. The insert too. $96 for both. You will destroy the existing one. Ours refused to come off. Use flat head screws or rivets for installing the new one. Seal top and bottom When your done.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Hi all - managed to back into a stationary object the other day. Dang.

Used a pneumatic dent puller and got some of the dent out.

At this point I believe the rub-rail (or whatever its called) may be preventing the skin from popping out any further.

My plan is to remove the rub-rail (perhaps I can salvage it, but more likely will need to be replaced as I believe removal will probably damage it further), then spend some time pulling the skin dents out with the pneumatic puller. The skin is not accessible from the inside (its behind the shower wall).

Replacement of the exterior skin is not in the budget. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I'm also confident it can be "pretty good".

Not quite sure how to proceed on removing the rub-rail, or where to get a new one.

Any advice appreciated.
Sorry you hurt your Airstream! We just replaced part of our rub rail. Woodland had rail 6 foot lengths because they couldn’t ship 8 foot lengths. We drilled through rivets holding it on. Rail peeled off with out any big effort. Area needs to be cleaned up after wards all the caulking etc. Hacksaw cut thru rail nicely. We could have reused some of rail as we were replacing area that awning center pole had dinged up and rail was fine in other places but we replaced the whole strip. Used old rail as template for drilling new rivet holes in new rail.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Aww that’s gotta hurt love see pictures of progress
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote