Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Removing Windows From a Junked Trailer

I know of a junked Airstream about the same year as mine that I was thinking of getting some windows off of. I think the trailer has been rolled at some point and panels and windows were replaced. I will probably take the two front wing windows and one of the stack windows. I may also get one of the other windows if the large opening stack window is a different size than the two side rear bedroom windows. I know there is a mixture of buck rivets and Olympic rivets that have not had the heads shaved and still have the pin sticking out. I was wondering how long and how much of a pain it will be to remove these windows with the hodge podge mess of rivets. Will I need special tools? Would a rivet removal tool help speed things up. I don't want to waller out the holes in the windows frames. I have one oval window that needs repair/replacing and a large fixed window next to the door that has water in it. I figure I could practice on the donor windows before I ruin my one of a kind windows. My wing windows are good but they might get hit with a rock. I have not talked price with the guy yet. He is not an Airstream salvage yard so I may get them pretty cheap if I remove them. I may also bundle to get a deal on a new old stock fridge. I already bought a new furnace off him for half retail. It seems to be working fine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Is the trailer going to be scrapped?
Instead of trying drill out 100 plus rivets on site how about using a battery powered Saws-All with a good Bi-Metal blade and cutting back about 4 inches from the window frames. Remove the rivets when you get back home.
Someone is using one of these to steal cat converters off of cars paked in the train station commuter lots around here. Must work pretty quick.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well the front curved panels are still good. It would be a good donor trailer for someone with a big project or hail damage etc. It looks like an early 80's trailer which means that the 70's trailers up till they went wide body are all the same. The trailer is near Cullman Alabama. I don't want to cut useful panels. I think the trailer is not in a same that it can be towed. It is probably a 31ft trailer which means finding a flat bed to haul it on would be hard. If it was towable I would use it as a shed.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote