Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Removing exterior corner panel

I'm now at the point where I need to remove the lower curbside exterior corner panel..... see pic with 3 Cleco's holding Verticle C-Channel.
All rivets have been removed.

Question, what are ya'll using to remove the old panel?
The panel was previously replaced, but was then dented after installation by PO, and then some olympics were leaking. So there is brand new sealant holding it together, and man is it strong.

Will a putty knife rounded at the edges help? A razor blade didn't even dig into it.
How about applying Stripper or something in the gap?
Unfortunately the gap is "UP", so applying sealant up will be difficult.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 016.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	160091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 027.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	160092  

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Heat and a sharp putty knife would be my first choice unless you can determine what the sealant was and use an appropriate solvent.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have used the gel paint stripper on stuff like that. Try Gumout carb cleaner first and it that don't work go with the paint stripper. The stuff I have is Klean Kutter or something like that and it is not the orange flavored stuff that does not work. A wood chisel works well but BE CAREFUL.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Trempro 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Heat and a sharp putty knife would be my first choice unless you can determine what the sealant was and use an appropriate solvent.

Aaron
It was Trempro 625, old tube is still in trailer. I seriously think they were so pissed that the panel was dented after install that they sold me the trailer.

The other good thing is that they used olympics with o-rings, so these have been removed.
They actually did a great job, too bad it was dented. I'll be bucking new rivets.

I'm going to try some Kleen Strip aircraft paint remover, brush it up in the crack. Leave it for a minute and see if I can cut through with a putty knife.

I'll try heating the knife also, that's a good idea.

I'll tell you, most people are removing OLD vulkem, which is strong, but NEW trempro is tough stuff.

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I have used the gel paint stripper on stuff like that. Try Gumout carb cleaner first and it that don't work go with the paint stripper. The stuff I have is Klean Kutter or something like that and it is not the orange flavored stuff that does not work. A wood chisel works well but BE CAREFUL.

Perry
Yeah, I don't want to bend the top sheet, so I would have to be careful with a wood chisel.

Carb cleaner huh? Didn't think of that.

I was thinking Kleen Strip Aircraft paint remover... or MEK.
I think Kip said to round the edges of a putty knife. And maybe some heat also.

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
When you drive the new rivets, I'd use some TremPro 635 or some similar sealant. I've been doing that on a bunch of rivets, and it really seals the rivets well (see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ml#post1150143).

I've removed a bunch of Olympics that leak. I'm not very impressed with Olympic rivets overall, but some of the problems were likely improper installation. However, they do seem to leak between the mandrel and the body of the rivet.

Be sure and tell us how you got the sheet metal apart at the end of the day.

Best of luck to you on this project!!!
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
In replacing the rear panel on my Argosy , I drilled out the existing rivets and finished removing the panel with the oscillating tool with a scraper blade on it. I did go through a couple of blades but it really worked out well . Hope this helps.
Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool w/ Variable Speed
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have one of those Dremel Bone Saw's. I never thought of using it as putty remover but I guess it will work. It has a blade like you say.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
TIMK,
Did you get the panels seperated? Are you making progress on your trailer?

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy Heir
In replacing the rear panel on my Argosy , I drilled out the existing rivets and finished removing the panel with the oscillating tool with a scraper blade on it. I did go through a couple of blades but it really worked out well . Hope this helps.
Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool w/ Variable Speed
What are you using for a replacement panel? New, used, doner trailer or manufg. Your own? Im interested because ive yet to tackle mine because I cant locate an affordable panel.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
What I saw at the factory for removing a panel was they cut the old panel about 2" in from the seam leaving a strip that was much easier to peel away from the caulking.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
What are you using for a replacement panel? New, used, doner trailer or manufg. Your own? Im interested because ive yet to tackle mine because I cant locate an affordable panel.
Coming along well. The rear center section needed to be replaces as the corrosion between the aluminum panel and the steel frame support caused holes at every rivet at the bottom. Being an Argosy , I removed the tail light panel and cut my own seam below the rear window that would be hidden under the panel at a later date. I used flat sheet aluminum (.050 I think).

The offending piece cam out pretty much intact and I laid it over the new sheet and sprayed paint in the rivet holes I drilled out to mark their locations.
Liberal amounts of Vulkem between the panels and attatched with Olympic rivets. You can kind of see what I did in the first picture. In the second you can see the seam is covered by the panel. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-13_13-21-05_105.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	163029   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-08_17-29-31_698.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	163030  

Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Thank you, it does. Mine has a 6” high rectangular cutout fom the edge of the streetside corner panel, travelling all the way across the back end to the curbside corner. The PO froze a water line and rather than repair it from the inside he hacked his way into the exterior using a reciprocating saw. Ive been on the hunt for a used streetside corner panel because I cant afford the new ones. I might try the patch route like you did now that I see that it can be done. My main concern is that the cut on mine is near the bottom of the panels and ill have to rivet to the c channel, with the radius that may prove impossible?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Buck Rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
When you drive the new rivets, I'd use some TremPro 635 or some similar sealant. I've been doing that on a bunch of rivets, and it really seals the rivets well (see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ml#post1150143).

I've removed a bunch of Olympics that leak. I'm not very impressed with Olympic rivets overall, but some of the problems were likely improper installation. However, they do seem to leak between the mandrel and the body of the rivet.

Be sure and tell us how you got the sheet metal apart at the end of the day.

Best of luck to you on this project!!!
Thanks everyone for being patient, I have been out on knee surgery, after 2 weeks in Disneyland and traveling, so I've been out if it for a while.

Steve, Yes, definitely buck rivets.... I would only use Olympics where i can 1) Access every year fairly easy to add sealant, and 2) don't have access to inside panel to buck.

Yes, I have been making a little progress. I have ordered, and have in my shop a 4'x12' x .032 2024T3 aluminum for the new corner. I have also aquired some sheet metal tools (nibbler, shears and the like)

Shackman, I will try and remove in one piece, so I can duplicate as a template... but that could be a probable solution if I get into any trouble.

Phrunes, I think I paid just under $200 for a 4x12' roll of aluminum (request it to be rolled). As long as the panel does not have any wierd bends/breaks then just rapping it might not be a tough as you think.
It will require some tools/knowledge/help if you buck the rivets. Keep looking, you'll find your solution on Airforums... it just takes ALOT of reading. Don't skimp either.. do it right, even if it takes a little longer and costs a little more, and is a little more of a hassle, and is frustrating, and you can't find any help, and.... all the other reasons why we make excuses for our quick fixes.... Ok, I'm done.
Good luck

I'll send updateds as I progess in the next couple of weeks, now I'm stuck on the couch with a swollen knee

Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Someone mentioned "o"rings that are used with the Olympic rivits. Where can we purchase those?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear
Someone mentioned "o"rings that are used with the Olympic rivits. Where can we purchase those?
Some are sold with neoprene O rings, some are not. The rings will dry out and fail and I do not use them. Use some sealant on the rivet when you install it for a longer lasting seal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do NOT use "O" ring Olympics.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
I think I paid just under $200 for a 4x12' roll of aluminum (request it to be rolled).

TIMK
just wondering the source, did you order online or from a local shop?
Best regards
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
O ring olympics

Eagle bear.... that's is exactly what I had originally on this panel, and they were not going to make the cut, so out they went.

I have successfully removed the panel. A little boo boo on my part, I needed to remove 2 more rivets going up and then I waited for a hot day, rounded off a putty knife and used some elbow grease and whalla.... out she came.

All in all it took about 10 minutes, I've just been hobbling around after my knee surgery, so I wasn't getting too crazy, but it's removed.

I'll post pictures on my next post.

Now the fun part, making a new skin, drilling it out, getting it clecoed and then buck riveting (will Trempro 625 of course).

I am a little scared of the buck riveting personally.... maybe someone in the Sacramento Area would like to help a fellow airstreamer out. I have all the tools, just need some experience.

TAC CA-77
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
GlamperGirl

Timk I am about to start removing panels too. How did it go for you?

My banana wraps were wrecked and I wrecked them more.
Any ideas?
I am tempted to just put them on anyway.
I am afraid to hammer the dents out!

Will get you my measurements and some photos of my project. Cruise around for more albums that are public,

https://plus.google.com/photos/11042...63767839658481

Dena
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote