Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I've got a similar one from a roofer who was specifically instructed to not touch the trailer backed up to the house while he was working on the roof. His boss didn't have a bond either.
Turn it into your insurance company, "AND" be very specific as to how the loss occurred.

They will pay for the loss, and subrogate against the roofer. They may not even charge you a deductible, since the trailer was parked. Should be a comprehensive loss.

They will probabley ask you "how much damage". Ball park, each segment costs a little over $1000.00 to replace.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Well, I've never seen a good looking dent in an Airstream before, so I'm not surprised by your picture. It really doesnt look that bad to me. I think you could pull most, if not all of it back out without much left to show afterwards. You could do a better job of it with the interior out, but I would try to do it from the outside first and see if it's satisfactory. From the inside you could use a roller to smooth it out after popping it out.
If you think you may try to go through your insurance to repair it have them come and look at it before you try anything at all. Otherwise you may find that you have screwed yourself as far as the claim goes.

Good luck,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
If you think you may try to go through your insurance to repair it have them come and look at it before you try anything at all. Otherwise you may find that you have screwed yourself as far as the claim goes.
I've got a couple that I was able to push out, but, geez, why pay for insurance year after year and not use it? This looks like the time to use it.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree, insurance is for claims. We have Progressive and found them to be easy to work with when my wife backed into a friend's car (I remind her of that every once in a while because that's what marriage is for). Since there's no fault involved, it shouldn't raise your premiums. Where did the branch come from?—was it your tree or someone else's?—maybe someone else is responsible and maybe your trailer insurer will take care of that. Because it's wind damage, there maybe a deductible for that in hurricane country, so if someone else owns the tree and wasn't keeping it pruned, they would have to pay the deductible if insurance won't. If it's your tree, your homeowner's insurance may be the way to go, but there is fault there (not trimming the tree) and it would raise premiums.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the replies! I don't know exactly what I'll do yet - but think there's an Airstream dealer in Ocala. I'll have to see if they do repairs or have someone they recommend. I don't know of anyone around here. I can probably drive a few hours to get it done - and have some time off during the holidays/new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I agree, insurance is for claims. We have Progressive and found them to be easy to work with when my wife backed into a friend's car (I remind her of that every once in a while because that's what marriage is for). Since there's no fault involved, it shouldn't raise your premiums. Where did the branch come from?—was it your tree or someone else's?—maybe someone else is responsible and maybe your trailer insurer will take care of that.

...Gene
That would be MY TREE. It makes for a pretty setting I moved it to the roadside earlier this year when high winds were anticipated and we had already had substantial rain. Thougt I'd save Ophelia if my tree came down. This neighborhood is full of mature 100+ yr-old oaks. I sort of halted my annual *maintenance* pruning. A close family friend, 6th generation Floridian, owns a tree care service. Last year he told me that, in the event of a decent-sized hurricane, my neighbors oaks are as likely to land on my home as my own .... Now he only takes out medium/large diseased or dead limbs. I have no idea what actually hit my trailer as no limbs are on the ground!!! But there was a small piece of bark wedged in the seam (that fell out when I was feelin' around). Course, my lawn service was done Tuesday afternoon. Maybe they took the debris away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ball park, depending on a dealers labor rate, those 2 segments would cost a little over $2000.00 to replace.

Insurance companies do not cancel or raise rates, because of a loss caused by "mother nature". You have what is called a "comprehensive loss", and most times, that means you would have a "0" deductible.

The creases in those segments, cannot be removed. Replacement is the only remedy, if you want the trailer to look OK.

Progressive is a top notch insurance company, that doesn't play games when a claim is submitted. They always perform "fair and square".

Andy
Thanks for the info Andy. I'll give them a call ASAP!!!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I have no idea what actually hit my trailer as no limbs are on the ground!!! But there was a small piece of bark wedged in the seam (that fell out when I was feelin' around). Course, my lawn service was done Tuesday afternoon. Maybe they took the debris away?

Maybe they dropped a limb on your Airstream, cleaned up fast, and got the h3ll out of there.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
not that bad, it gives it a war scare, take it easy, it could be worse, it could have hit you on the head returning at home and killed you.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I think people are too worried about insurance. I pay $700.00 a year for Bess. We've had her for sixteen years; one claim for 4k and windshield replacements with a good size deductable. So the insurance company made 7k off me. Poor babies!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
My next door neighbor just offered me the use of his RV garage!!! He doesn't actually live in the home - must be an investment property ??? But it has a HUGE garage. My fire-medic says it could house the firetruck - thus coining the property "The Station". This is soooo cool. Too bad I didn't take him up on the offer a week sooner. Now, just got to get it backed in there from our narrow side street and with his little grade. And with him watching. I hate that!
Laura
Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
What do you think?

A guy from Dent Force spent about 3 hours working on a few dents... including the oak damage. He glued on tabs and use a sliding hammer to pull them out as best as possible - without removing the inner skin. He said that he can work on them a little more and do a lot more if I remove the inside panels... I am surprised at what he was able to accomplish.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	92809   Click image for larger version

Name:	After1.jpg.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	92810  

Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Fantastic!!! Now it is nothing more then a beauty mark.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think it looks a LOT better than in post #11!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I agree, Laura - it looks wonderful to me. Frankly I don't mind a few battle-scars; makes for interesting campfire conversation.

The repair may be prone to leaking, but perhaps you can manage that with sealant. It is a plus that the area damaged is on a slope at the rear.

Happy trails - Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #34

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Looks Good...

That really came out well. Much better results than I expected.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Sorry about your dent. I have the exact same dent on the other side in the back. I bought mine with the dent. Mine doesn't leak so I will live with it. I never planned on fixing mine until lately. We have made so many improvements to the trailer we are now starting to notice the dent more and more. I will have to replace panels to get rid of mine. I guess I will live with it. I forget about it when I am camping because I am having so much fun.

Brian
Old 12-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Sorry about your dent. I have the exact same dent on the other side in the back. I bought mine with the dent. Mine doesn't leak so I will live with it. I never planned on fixing mine until lately. We have made so many improvements to the trailer we are now starting to notice the dent more and more. I will have to replace panels to get rid of mine. I guess I will live with it. I forget about it when I am camping because I am having so much fun.

Brian
I probably could have lived with it too but my insurance has been (thus far) really easy to deal with. Though I would prefer to have had the panels replaced, I hate the thought that if I should ever decided to polish it up, the new panels would have a different final appearance. And I really didn't want to leave my trailer 150 miles north for the repairs. Silly, I know. I can certainly live with this version of the repiar for now. The cost was minimal - and the guy even worked out another dent on my TT, two on my truck and polished my headlights on my truck. Great service from Dent Force!

Glad to see that ya'll think the repair is pretty good!
Laura
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
San Clemente , California
Quote:
Shouldn't have gone out to take these pics this morning... now I'm in a funk. Literally.

It looks like there is a crease from a distance, but on closer inspection, maybe not. I do believe that if it can be pulled, pushed, rolled out, it will leave a wrinkle though.

What do ya'll think?
Sorry to say but I dont think that's a simple pop out. One word...... silver bondo. Sorry two words.
BigPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I probably could have lived with it too but my insurance has been (thus far) really easy to deal with. Though I would prefer to have had the panels replaced, I hate the thought that if I should ever decided to polish it up, the new panels would have a different final appearance. And I really didn't want to leave my trailer 150 miles north for the repairs. Silly, I know. I can certainly live with this version of the repiar for now. The cost was minimal - and the guy even worked out another dent on my TT, two on my truck and polished my headlights on my truck. Great service from Dent Force!

Glad to see that ya'll think the repair is pretty good!
Laura
Laura.

Not bad, not bad at all. However, if that photo shows the finished repair, then you need to know, it's not finished.

A little Vulken sealer, a few Olympic rivets, and that area would hardly be noticeable.

More importantly, when properly polished, a new segment will match metal on any Airstream, ever built, from the 1930's, to 2010.

The old clearcoat on your coach is what is misleading you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Laura, compared to the pic in your 1st post, that looks fantastic! Send your guy over my way sometime. Here's our beauty marks, the top ones were courtesy of the original owner and the bottom one was me backing up into a 14' aluminum boat....that was an incredibly sick feeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running Lights 003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	94398  

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #40
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I think it looks great. Those dent guys are amazing..

Spend the money you saved on a trip to Hawaii!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote