Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Popped rivet above medecine cabinet

Hey all. Got a popped rivet right above the medecine cabinet in my 25FB. Rivet is just where the cabinet ends and the wall behind it curves making it impossible to drill out the remains and put another rivet in without removing the cabinet. I could remove the cabinet but then if it pops again, then Iíll have to do it again. Any suggestions to avoid this? Thanks.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I had this exact question on my 2019 27' GT. Even the same location. When a rivet pops in a difficult location, I go to the next size bigger rivet. In this case I used a 3/16" diameter aluminum rivet. Another rivet alternative - although likely not recommended - is to use a stainless steel rivet.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I had this exact question on my 2019 27' GT. Even the same location. When a rivet pops in a difficult location, I go to the next size bigger rivet. In this case I used a 3/16" diameter aluminum rivet. Another rivet alternative - although likely not recommended - is to use a stainless steel rivet.

Dan
Thanks. Thatís good advice. Less chance itíll pop. Did you have to remove the medecine cabinet? If so, was it difficult?
Old 05-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a 2006 25FB with the exact same issue. Mine has been that way since around 2010 and I am not worried about it. I watched it very closely and have replaced some popped rivets but none in the bathroom. My problem area has been around the door. I am guessing I have to replace one, or maybe two, every year to two. I do keep my eyes open for them and fix them right away. Again, not a real issue for me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I did remove the medicine cabinet. My son helped. It's not so heavy but is very awkward !! And I had another rivet to replace behind the cabinet. We took the door off of the cabinet to make things a bit easier and lighter.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Hey all. Got a popped rivet right above the medecine cabinet in my 25FB. Rivet is just where the cabinet ends and the wall behind it curves making it impossible to drill out the remains and put another rivet in without removing the cabinet. I could remove the cabinet but then if it pops again, then I’ll have to do it again. Any suggestions to avoid this? Thanks.
I had same problem in same location 3-4 years ago. During visit at Jackson Center, I pointed it out and tech said that the medicine cabinet would need to come out to address it; but that it was not critical it be filled. He put a 'fake' rivet there so hole was filled. There have been no issues (and no more popped rivets) in bathroom since then. Most of my pops occur near the A/C fan/filter plate in ceiling between stove and frig. (I have 25' foot FBT). The same one or two rivets come out every year.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Popped Rivit

I was told by a long time Airstreamer to put a screw in one which is hard to get to. I would use stainless.
soling917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
"He put a 'fake' rivet there so hole was filled"

This is what I did several years ago as well. Just cut off the head of a new rivet with a Dremel tool and glue it in.
NO NOIZE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I had same problem in same location 3-4 years ago. During visit at Jackson Center, I pointed it out and tech said that the medicine cabinet would need to come out to address it; but that it was not critical it be filled. He put a 'fake' rivet there so hole was filled. There have been no issues (and no more popped rivets) in bathroom since then. Most of my pops occur near the A/C fan/filter plate in ceiling between stove and frig. (I have 25' foot FBT). The same one or two rivets come out every year.
Thanks! Like the idea of the fake rivet. Where does one buy such a rivet?
Old 05-19-2024, 12:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NOIZE View Post

This is what I did several years ago as well. Just cut off the head of a new rivet with a Dremel tool and glue it in.
Hmmm. Also a good idea. Type of glue?
Old 05-20-2024, 05:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Lewisville , Texas
Amazing Goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Hmmm. Also a good idea. Type of glue?
I use Amazing Goop on almost everything. The uncured glue cleans up with rubbing alcohol and the dried glue peels off clean with just a finger nail. Suggest trying some glue blobs on some cardboard with different materials like metal, wood, rubber and plastic to get the hang of it first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQUI7S...roduct_details
Old 05-20-2024, 05:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:

I've done thew same thing with one rivet that keeps breaking. I tried a larger rivet, but that didn't work, so I went with the fake for aesthetics.

The trailer won't fall apart if it's missing one or two of its hundreds of rivets.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Our 2023 GT has the same problem, two rivets popping above the medicine cabinet. We just had them replaced at JC a month ago, but by the time we got home they had popped again. I'm reducing the tire pressure to 75PSI (or should I go to 70PSI?), we seem to have a lot of popped rivets, and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'll probably see if we have some more warranty issues and if so have them try replacing them again, but it sounds like the problem is cosmetic and not structural, so fake rivets might be in our future.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Our 2023 GT has the same problem, two rivets popping above the medicine cabinet. We just had them replaced at JC a month ago, but by the time we got home they had popped again. I'm reducing the tire pressure to 75PSI (or should I go to 70PSI?), we seem to have a lot of popped rivets, and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'll probably see if we have some more warranty issues and if so have them try replacing them again, but it sounds like the problem is cosmetic and not structural, so fake rivets might be in our future.
I roll at 65 PSI and have a 25FB. Lowering PSI (and going with a less stiff WD set up — Blue Ox) has helped reduce havoc inside but that rivet above the medecine cabinet has still popped. So, I for sure am happy with the lower PSI but it hasn’t solved everything.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I've done thew same thing with one rivet that keeps breaking. I tried a larger rivet, but that didn't work, so I went with the fake for aesthetics.

The trailer won't fall apart if it's missing one or two of its hundreds of rivets.
I’m leaning towards the fake rivet solution but hesitating. Those interior pop rivets are small. What did you do to avoid making a mess with the glue?
Old 05-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #16
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I was at the factory for service a few weeks ago. On my trip from Texas to there I ended up on 70 going through Indy. The roughest road I have ever been on that was paved. They discovered I had 18 rivets that needed to be replaced.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by soling917 View Post
I was told by a long time Airstreamer to put a screw in one which is hard to get to. I would use stainless.
Agree. Or maybe a Rivnut? Toggle?

Funny but, I found a 'ring' from a rivet on the floor by the stove. I can't find anywhere that's missing a rivet. It could be from sloppy construction, but it's six years old. Maybe it finally made a break for it from under the stove like the one sock you find?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Mollysdad - Recently, I was cleaning the dinette/couch cushions in my trailer and found an empty rivet hole behind one of the cushions. I'd never thought to check that area for popped rivets before.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
I use Amazing Goop on almost everything. The uncured glue cleans up with rubbing alcohol and the dried glue peels off clean with just a finger nail. Suggest trying some glue blobs on some cardboard with different materials like metal, wood, rubber and plastic to get the hang of it first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQUI7S...roduct_details
Thanks for your advice.

Ended up using your fix of the fake rivet. Cut off the stem with my Dremmel and glued it on with Amazing Goop Marine. That stuff is indeed amazing. It held the rivet in place right away. I also let the glue cure a tad before putting the rivet in place as I understand that can help hold whatever youíre glueing in place right away.

I did start by removing the medecine cabinet with the intention to actually replace the rivet. While not hard, it is involved work. So, decided that I wouldnít want to do this every time it popped and replaced the 4 other rivets that had popped behind the cabinet but glued the fake rivet in place for the 5th visible rivet.

At any rate, thanks again.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Lewisville , Texas
You are very welcome, and thanks for posting the results.