Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
gravel switch , Kentucky
Question Peel & Seal Self-Stick Aluminum Roll Roofing

was just watching the weather channel and saw this aluminum peel and stick product mentioned. has anyone had any experience using this on the exterior until proper attention could be paid to leak or used it on interior applications when skins removed during a reno project. don't know its thickness but if minimal, seems if one were in a reno situation with interior skins already removed that this might be a good belt and suspenders approach to stoping some future leaks. thanx, dave
65overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Dave,
Most of the peel and stick alumium roofing products I have seen (and I am a profesional roofer) are nothing more than a very thin (6-10mils at best) aluminum foil over some type of adhesive or modifed base sheet. For quickie repairs on my Airstream I use the aluminum foil tape, it works great on seams, missing rivets or to plug a hole where I removed something like a dead bolt lock or cable entry cap. I seriously doubt that any peel n stick products would work as a replacement for a structural panel and yes the interior panels are considered part of the structure. As far as using it on the interior to stop leaks, you are going to be better off stopping the water at the point of entry. Patching from the inside will still allow the water entry into the seam and eventually it will find somewhere else to come inside around the patch. For a temporary solution it would probably work fine.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
HI 65 Overlander, I am not sure if what you are refering to is ETERNABOND or not. I have used the aforementioned product but not on an A/S. It does a good job of sealing leaks on square white boxes.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
gravel switch , Kentucky
arron, was not contemplating use of the foil as a structural replacement. was just thinking in a reno application if you had the interior skins removed it might be able to be applied against the backside of the outer skin seams. even if a leak were to develop in an outer seam at some later date and start leaking down, it might be some time before you ever knew it was a problem. seemed that taping the inside of the seams might just buy some extra life. but then again, guess that is why we have vulkem.

kevin, not sure what the brand name might be. i would imagine the product to be something like the nashua foil tape but available in greater widths.
65overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Dave,
I used Aluminum tape, available at the local hardware store to seal up my Baby until I could get it to the factory. Seems to be holding and working well. One word of caution. THe stuff is sharp. Cut with sissors and use the handle of a screw driver or anyo ther blunt instrument to rub the edges to get a good seal. Using your finger will result in red stained tape. Speaking from expereince.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	28473  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote