Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Opinions wanted on this dent

The aluminum has been stretched a bit with a deep groove/scratch and the dent has a crease. Is there any hope to pop this dent out from the inside? And if the answer is "no" can I get by with replacing just the top panel only? The bottom panel has a slight deformation but I think it's minor and can be pressed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Curbside Rear.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	82953  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
The aluminum has been stretched a bit with a deep grove/scratch and the dent has a crease. Is there any hope to pop this dent out from the inside? And if the answer is "no" can I get by with replacing just the top panel only? The bottom panel has a slight deformation but I think it's minor and can be pressed out.

Where is the dent? All of the front and rear end cap segments are stretch formed.

Bill

Sorry, did not see the picture the first time. But that is a stretch formed panel, I have been told that they are still available.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Looks like a good spot for a bumper sticker. I talked to Airstream Service center about panels and they said about $1500 a section for new. but you could try and find a salvage unit for the panel, but will take some hunting.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You might be able to push it out some, but it will not go away and I'm sure a new panel isn't cheep...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Out-of-Doors mart shows that part on their website: Body Panel 1969 to 82 Segment Bright 104457-02 [104457-02] - $325.16 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
The cost does not include shipping which will be a few bucks...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks, Richard. Looks like the consensus is to replace the panel.

Alright, dumb question. I've never replaced an outside panel like this with "rounded" rivet heads. No problem drilling interior rivets with the "holes" in them. How does one go about drilling out these rounded rivet heads without the drill bit slipping and scratching or denting the skin?

4CU 1st VP

Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The simple, but crude method would be to center punch each rivet and then drill.

Brad (flyfshr) removed a ton of rivets at the Restoration Rally earlier this year on one of Uwe's trailers. He was using a really neat tool that attached to the drill and kept is centered on the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brad.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	82973  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks, Richard. I'll ask Brad where he got this special drill attachment. I own a rivet shaver for the Olympic Rivets, so I'm good to go there.

4CU 1st VP

Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Thanks, Richard. I'll ask Brad where he got this special drill attachment. I own a rivet shaver for the Olympic Rivets, so I'm good to go there.
I want to replace the side of my 310 MH that has had a minor skirmish during the trip over here from the 'States, and it is a daunting task to say the least!

Can you post the source for this tool?
I have seen the shaver/polishing tool somewhere but it was some ago, so that would be useful too.

What is the Aluminium Spec - size(thickness) and type/size rivet used?

Sorry about all the questions but here in the UK Body repairers of this ilk are few and far between so I am going to have a go! I am looking for a source of instruction - video/paper whatever. There are a few Airstream's here with dents!

Many thanks for any help

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
I want to replace the side of my 310 MH that has had a minor skirmish during the trip over here from the 'States, and it is a daunting task to say the least!

Can you post the source for this tool?
I have seen the shaver/polishing tool somewhere but it was some ago, so that would be useful too.

What is the Aluminium Spec - size(thickness) and type/size rivet used?

Sorry about all the questions but here in the UK Body repairers of this ilk are few and far between so I am going to have a go! I am looking for a source of instruction - video/paper whatever. There are a few Airstream's here with dents!

Many thanks for any help
Olympic rivet shavers are sold by a small number of Airstream parts sources.

What thickness aluminum to use depends on where it's used. Lower panels are thicker than the upper panels, generally speaking.

Olympic rivets are used fro exterior metal replacements. If however, you have the interior gutted, or want to gut it, you can use "buck" rivets. There is only one size Olympic used for Airstream metal repairs.

Using Olympic rivets requires one person to do the work. When using "buck" rivets, two people are required, one on the inside and one on the outside of the coach.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Drill Guide
Miscellaneous Rivet Tool - Rivet Removal Tool
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mike, because of the light reflections, it hard for me to see exactly what's scratched in the lower panel, but it looks like it could not be easily pushed out. To do that would mean removing some interior. It seems easier to just replace both the upper and lower panels while you're at it. If you do it yourself, you'll save a lot of money since this is labor intensive work, and hopefully you'll remain mellow.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Before I replaced the panel, I would at least try to get it out.

A method I have used on old cars, is have one person outside and another inside. make sure you can easlily communicate. gently tap out the big dent, it may just pop out. then you have the crease to deal with.

This becomes a little tediouse but not unreasonabley.

The person out side needs a block of wood, the person inside needs either a wood hammer, for manipulting metal, or a flat steel one for the same. Tap the inside of the crease gently, while the outside guy has the wood pressed firmly against where you are tapping, If the crease isnt that bad. it will almost all come out.

Ideally would be to do this on a hot day in direct sunlight, so the alluminum is hot, I would not apply heat to the alluminum with a torch, When you start this process, you will get the idea and fine tune the tools and the tapping. Having wood on the out side is mandatory so you dont stretch the alluminum further.

Good Luck.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
To take out a dent you have to shrink the metal. It's done with steel all the time on cars and trucks, but requires some expertise. Apparently aluminum has such different qualities it's very difficult to do, if possible at all.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Before I replaced the panel, I would at least try to get it out.

A method I have used on old cars, is have one person outside and another inside. make sure you can easlily communicate. gently tap out the big dent, it may just pop out. then you have the crease to deal with.

This becomes a little tediouse but not unreasonabley.

The person out side needs a block of wood, the person inside needs either a wood hammer, for manipulting metal, or a flat steel one for the same. Tap the inside of the crease gently, while the outside guy has the wood pressed firmly against where you are tapping, If the crease isnt that bad. it will almost all come out.

Ideally would be to do this on a hot day in direct sunlight, so the alluminum is hot, I would not apply heat to the alluminum with a torch, When you start this process, you will get the idea and fine tune the tools and the tapping. Having wood on the out side is mandatory so you dont stretch the alluminum further.

Good Luck.
Thanks, Mustang. Great tips. I'm a perfectionist so I think the only thing that will truly make me happy is to replace the panel. Especially with this dent being on the rounded corner. Noticed you are in Kent. Very cool, I grew up there.

4CU 1st VP