Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

san antonio , Texas
Unhappy nic danger - Softball dent in my 2010 FC

Any help on how to fix a dent in my trailer would be appreciated! It was made by a neighbor kid when he threw a softball at my pristine 2010 23FB Flying Cloud. Put about a 10: dent in the top left corner panel. Tried a suction device to pull it back but they dent is not quite even to get a grip. On the inside of where the dent would be is a storage cabinet and of course the inner aluminum skin. Any ideas on a way to "pull" this dent back out form the outside since access from the inside looks impossible. Thank you in advance!
nic danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
This is especially painful when it happens on a new Airstream when you are standing there watching it happen. Back in the days when we didn't know about NOT parking on the downhill side of WalMart parking lots (they're flat in Phoenix, but in snow country, they're sloped to keep the water from pooling), we heard someone yell "Sorry..." and we looked across the parking lot to see a cart coming straight at our new Airstream at about 5-10 mph. We were extremely lucky that it hit the running board on our pickup (without breaking off our mirror or denting the doors), ricocheted off, and then slammed into the stone guard panel about a foot from the trailer door, where the cart came to a stop. I yelled "Hey!", and the woman jumped in her car and drove off.

Luckily, the only damage was a little skid mark in the door paint on our pickup, which rubbed off, and a 3-inch long crack in the stainless steel stone guard, which is barely noticeable.

Needless to say, we park in the top row of parking lots now and look around farther uphill to see what might come rolling down.

If you know which kid threw the softball, his dad might be picking up the tab to have the dent fixed at the repair shop. Otherwise, I'll wait and see how you fix this, as a big dent is inevitable with all of this smooth aluminum as a magnet for pokey, denty, scratchy things. They say those unique marks add character, but it sure hurts when you're standing there helpless watching that character being added.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Had a fellow AS'r back in to my 28' Int. CCD (2006) in Santa Fe this summer. Dented the street side stone guard and panel behind it. Jackson center said figure $1800 for any corner panel, plus $350 for the guard.

So you might want to track down the boy's parent.
28totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your dent situation, a photograph of the dent would be very helpful in providing you with information as to the best course of action. Aluminum dents can be very tricky to deal with.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't resist: As Nic(k) Danger, Third Eye, you should be able to see what to do. You can change the spelling, but all Firesign Theater fans know who you really are. See you at the Giant Toad Market along with Rocky Rococo.

Good luck with the dent and your neighbor when you tell him about the dent.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I can't resist: As Nic(k) Danger, Third Eye, you should be able to see what to do. You can change the spelling, but all Firesign Theater fans know who you really are. See you at the Giant Toad Market along with Rocky Rococo.

Good luck with the dent and your neighbor when you tell him about the dent.

Gene

and... if you lived here, you'd be home by now
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Contact a professional dent repair company. They work wonders. Last year my F150 was caught in a hail storm. It looked like someone attacked it with a hammer. They pulled dents out of the roof and areas of the hood where they could not get at the back side by glueing tabs on the dint and working it out with special tools. When finished you would never know their was any damage.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
An insurance company...yours and the neighbor kids parents. You all will not like the size of the bill....but, thats how it is. All those pullers and dent removal dohickies will not do that new Airstream justice.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Don't crush that dwarf, give me the pliers.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #10

san antonio , Texas
nic danger

Thanks to all of you for the support and advice! I especially loved the response from the three of you that know of Nic(k) Danger. Yes, How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all. Porgie tirebiter. Loved it when Nick strooled up to his office door and read the sign(Regnad Kcin)!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

san antonio , Texas
nic danger

I will get a pic and post it here next week. Thanks again to you all.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I would try a paintless dent removal professional first and have the kids parents foot the bill.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Here is a thread that may help

It's recent and short - giving a variety of possibilities short of panel replacement. If the dent isn't creased you can get about a 97% fix. Sadly you will eventually get another one. It's almost better to get the first one and get over the stress of waiting for the shoe to drop.

If you can't get a satisfactory repair, I'd hit up the homeowner's policy of the neighbor. Normally they cover stuff the kids do.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ler-61394.html

Happier trails!

Paula
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I read on a thread somewhere in the past where they use heat to pop dents back out and you could not tell it had ever been dented so it may not be a major fix.

Best of luck in a "you can never tell it happened" fix.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
"Ya gotta start young if you're gonna stick it out". Vintage FST.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I don't know, you may want to invest in that kid - he's got one heck of an arm....

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote