Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
New Airstream Panel Issues

Has anyone ever seen or experienced issues with newer airstreams where the exterior panels were discolored? I'm assuming some kind of defect with the treatment process where it's delaminated or corroding? I apologize that I do not have a picture to provide as an example. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this though. This particular issue is on a brand new 2019.
AMDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have heard of this recently. I would get with customer support and it looks like a trip to Jackson Center. They have to fix it. This is not a dealer fix I would trust.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
Appears it probably would be an entire panel replacement. What would be the biggest concern with an Airstream dealer doing this repair if they removed interior and did buck rivets on new panel?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDO View Post
Appears it probably would be an entire panel replacement. What would be the biggest concern with an Airstream dealer doing this repair if they removed interior and did buck rivets on new panel?
The work at Jackson Center is far superior to most dealers if not all dealers. You are not that far away. Have you spoken to JC yet?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I squarely in the camp that you should return to Jackson Center and have the repair done there......

No way I'd trust any dealer with that level of detail and issue to do the repair properly the first time.

Call and make the appointment.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Although issues with quality control at the factory are a real problem, the factory warranty response is excellent. It is also important when reselling or trading to be able to say all work done by factory.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
Panel Issue

I have the same issue on one front driver side panel. My 2019 Flying Cloud was delivered in October 2018 and the issue showed up in June 2019. I contacted customer service and my dealer - the dealer can do the repair ). Both customer service and the dealer were very responsive. I am waiting until November by my iwn choice to have it done. I was advised that Alcoa applied wrong or defective coating in a batch of panels delivered to Airstream. They don’t track lots - so you need to wait until the issue shows up (yellowing and peeling). I have had panel work done my dealer in SC and I am not concerned that their guy can do a good job.
SteelyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
I contacted both the dealer and Jackson Center. Jackson Center said they would remove, replace and use Olympic rivets, doing buck rivets they confirmed is intrusive and would require removing the interior. They seemed confident that olympic rivets would do just fine. I first asked about the condition of the panel, they did confirm that it was a situation occuring lately due to some of the aluminum they received which of course didn't present problems until some time after they've been delivered and exposed to the elements. Worst case scenario dealer does it, if it doesn't come out right, then I take the ride to Jackson Center?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
did the dealer discuss with you how they will ensure a good moisture seal with this repair? Is there any difference with the use of Olympic rivets versus a bucked rivet?
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #10

2019 23' International
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We have this same panel issue on our new 2019 23FB Serenity International, delivered August 2018. Both horizontal lower panels are discolored. Noticed this in June 2019, after taking it out of indoor storage. Our dealer was very responsive when we informed him, contacting Jackson Center. JC was responsive, and an appointment was set up with the Jackson Center service department which is coming up soon. Our concern is that we want the same quality of buck rivets, and look forward to hearing what solution Airstream will offer. Sorry that the picture attachment is sideways.
Attached Images

23homeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
It was an over the phone conversation with the dealer, but they said it it would be a complete replacement and they would seal and do leak tests. I doubt the leak tests will be anything close to that in which Jackson Center tests for in the factory off the line, but who knows if JC even tests like that on a panel replacement? The way JC explained it, aside from the actual buck vs Olympic rivet process, visually it's hard to tell the difference, other than that the Olympic rivets sit slightly higher. As much as I can see the benefits of having JC do this, I'm going to trust in my dealer that they have been trained properly and will perform the repair to the high standard we all bought into. After all, their reputation depends on it, and from what it seems, this is going to be a problem potentially affecting a lot of people who all won't have the time, convenience, or opportunity to go to JC as much as we would all prefer.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Panel Repair

Hi23homeaway and welcome to the AS forum.

Just search our panel on panel repair in the forum and it will persuade you to ONLY go the Mother Ship in Jackson Center for a side panel replacement.

AMDO I might take some heat on this but if it was me run don’t walk away!

Were actually here now for warranty service and very impressed with the techs and the whole service department experience. And we absolutely love meeting other people here for service. I always learn from mentors here.

You will most likely have to leave it. To buck rivet, the interior must be carefully removed.

On a new trailer with a whole side panel I would only do that. On a roof or back panel replacement I would be comfortable with the Olympic Rivet system. I can see the difference from two feet away some cannot tell the difference.

After a horrific side panel dealer repair experience with our brand new week old 2018 trailer experience. And yes the dealer said don’t worry WERE 5 rivet certified . That trailer never came home! , we only let the factory touch our 2019 trailer now.

I’m sure there are shops that can do it right however we are never again taking the chance.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Just search our panel on panel repair in the forum and it will persuade you to ONLY go the Mother Ship for a side panel replacement.

Were actually here now for warranty service and very impressed with the techs and the whole service department experience.

You will have to most likely leave it. To buck rivet the interior must me removed.

On a new trailer with a whole side panel I would only do that. On a roof or back panel replacement I would be comfortable with the Olympic Rivet system. I can see the difference from two feet away some cannot tell the difference.

After a VERY bad side panel with our 18 trailer experience. And yes the dealer said WERE 5 rivet certified , we only let the factory touch our 2019 trailer now. I’m sure there are shops that can do it right however we are never again taking the chance.
Cost us way to much I never brought the dealer repair home.
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this stuff, but in what I've researched I'd probably agree with you here. I think given the larger panels and assisting in keeping the structural integrity rigidity, it seems buck rivets would be the way to go. For smaller panels it seems olympic is acceptable. I would be curious to know the actual tensile strength of these two types of rivets and processes for repair.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDO View Post
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this stuff, but in what I've researched I'd probably agree with you here. I think given the larger panels and assisting in keeping the structural integrity rigidity, it seems buck rivets would be the way to go. For smaller panels it seems olympic is acceptable. I would be curious to know the actual tensile strength of these two types of rivets and processes for repair.

You’re overthinking this thing. Trust Jackson Center to know what they’re talking about regarding the rivets required, and the proper sealant to use on the lap joints.

We had three panels replaced, and I would challenge you to figure out which ones they are. Those folks in the Service Dept. are really good!
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post
You’re overthinking this thing. Trust Jackson Center to know what they’re talking about regarding the rivets required, and the proper sealant to use on the lap joints.

We had three panels replaced, and I would challenge you to figure out which ones they are. Those folks in the Service Dept. are really good!
With that being said, if the repair process at Jackson is the same as the dealer and minimally intrusive, I'll give them a shot. After all this is finished, I'll provide an update for those interested or future reference for those who may also be impacted by this. I agree going to JC would be great, but for a lot of people, I argue it takes a considerable amount of time and planning depending on location, work, family, etc. A lot of good feedback from everyone which is nice.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Front panels

We found discolored front top corner panels upon delivery of our 2015 Flying Cloud 30 at Airstream Northwest in Portland, Oregon. The panel had what were called stretch marks that occurred during the shaping process in the plant that forms the panels for Airstream. The dealer called Airstream and they approved replacement. We had this done months later after arranging for the parts to be in stock. The dealer installed them successfully it seemed until we found the HDMI cables didn't work to the TV's. We had Airstream of Fairfield troubleshoot our problem and they determined that Airstream NW accidentally drilled into the HDMI cables when drilling out the panel rivets. We still have a small water leakage issue that I think is related to the removal of the windows that was necessary to complete the repair. I have given up on getting that repair covered and will use some caulking on my own. If you can go to the factory, by all means do that! We should have just rejected the trailer, but that would have cost us many months waiting for another and major hassle picking it up. Airstream should never have let this pass quality control in Ohio. Airstream should be embarrassed by their quality control. However, I think their reference is the RV industry and not Mercedes Benz.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote