Old 12-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #61
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The scratches are mostly boondock pinstripes, mine has them too! But it was my doing so I can only fault myself. But as many have said, make the interior/exterior repairs, have it buffed out as best as possible and sell. Airstreams sell at a broad range of prices. Then you and "O' brother" can shop together on sharing the price of a replacement, new or used. Just don't let him share the trailer with you.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The scratches are mostly boondock pinstripes, mine has them too! But it was my doing so I can only fault myself. But as many have said, make the interior/exterior repairs, have it buffed out as best as possible and sell. Airstreams sell at a broad range of prices. Then you and "O' brother" can shop together on sharing the price of a replacement, new or used. Just don't let him share the trailer with you.
Yes, boondock pinstripes or AZ pinstripes as we call there here in Phoenix. They would be fine if we did the damage (as you said about your scratches).

My DH is so meticulous about our Airstream, if there was a hint it might get scratched he would never agree to venture out to such a location. We don't have much interest in boondocking with our 14 gallon black tank.

We went to Wyoming to see the Eclipse (joined up with this same brother) and my brother was staying on BLM land and it was about 40 min from were we were staying at a campground in Casper. I wanted to move out to the BLM land, to be closer to where my brother was and DH took one look at the road in and firmly said "no way" "I'm not risking damaging the under carriage" "the road is too bumpy" -- so we didn't move and stayed in Casper. We just drove out to the BLM land in our truck and left the AS at the campground. All in all it worked out fine. Made some friends I still talk to staying in the next site.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #63
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
A 30 ft trailer as new as that only has a 14 gallon black tank?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Yup. That's it. 14 gallons - tee-tiny
Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Find an AS similar to yours prior to your brother in laws depredations Have him buy that for you. Give him yours to sell for whatever he can get.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Find an AS similar to yours prior to your brother in laws depredations Have him buy that for you. Give him yours to sell for whatever he can get.
We thought of this too. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Looking through the pictures .....

Fix the panel under the trailer. Clean up the interior. Give it a good wash outside. Replace the other small bits and pieces that are broke ( 7 pin cable .....). Put it on the market at a good price and see what happens. You can always negotiate down in price. With those fairly minor fixes, it still is very usable for boon docking out in the wilds.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I'm glad to hear that you and your brother have always been close. That's huge. His plan to turn a profit on his cabin in a good market sounds like he could make out financially and enable him to follow through on his promise to make you whole. Again, I think you would be best off selling the AS after a thorough cleaning, putting the money in your "AS Dream" account, and informing him that you have an expectation of receiving some of the proceeds of his future sale. How much is a calculation only you can make. Placing a lien on him is probably going too far, it would strain your relationship ever more and piss him off and - ironically - it could make HIM revengeful. HA! This is how family feuds escalate irreparably, eh? Good luck!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Cmrdgrs,

I’ve had to deal with this very type of stuff with my own brother for over 30 years. Between dealings on houses, cars, loans, jobs, etc… you will finally realize it is the “cost of doing business” with some family members. Not all, just some.

1. Rent them a house, it will be trashed
2. Loan them a car it will come back dirty, dented and empty
3. Loan them money, you will get paid little to none back
4. Provide them employment, expect little to no work to be done, but they expect to be paid.

The last go round with my brother was fixing his truck ($1,500 in parts alone), provided him an Excursion to drive and put diesel fuel in it while fixing his truck. I call it my “Robert, $2,500.00 a year fund” which a few years ago was even more, so I’m feeling lucky. Whenever he calls, I know it’s going to cost me money, time or effort. I call them the “Yeah, it’s your brother Robert” calls (how his number is programed into the cell phone).

When your brother said, “I’ll try to make it right”, that means “don’t hold your breath”. Try to laugh it off, and next time, do your best to say the ATM machine is closed for now.

Enjoy,
Old 12-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Well rideair you're probably right about it being the "cost of doing business" on some level.

I'm going to hold out hope for the best (that my brother will work with me to make this situation "right"), but be prepared for the worst (he does nothing and sticks me with the bill).
Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I'm glad to hear that you and your brother have always been close. That's huge. His plan to turn a profit on his cabin in a good market sounds like he could make out financially and enable him to follow through on his promise to make you whole. Again, I think you would be best off selling the AS after a thorough cleaning, putting the money in your "AS Dream" account, and informing him that you have an expectation of receiving some of the proceeds of his future sale. How much is a calculation only you can make. Placing a lien on him is probably going too far, it would strain your relationship ever more and piss him off and - ironically - it could make HIM revengeful. HA! This is how family feuds escalate irreparably, eh? Good luck!
Today we're hoping to get the 7 pin connector rewired. We also decided to put a new A-Frame jack on, because that came back to us not working either. I know it was old (it was the original jack) and I suppose I can't "blame" my brother for it breaking, but it would have been nice if he spent the $40 for the broken sprocket and got the darn thing working since it did work when I gave it to him.

After today's two projects we'll have to leave this for a bit just due to the holidays.

I think we are leaning in the direction PatLee of moving on from our Bunkhouse and getting something geared for DH and myself as opposed to keeping this AS which is geared for a family because this is an 30 foot 05' Bunkhouse. However, my favorite feature of this AS is that it is paid for! If I were to buy a different AS it would probably be a newer used AS and I'd have to anti-up money for the difference in price. In the long run though it will probably be worth the swap.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi All. Posting an update. Over the weekend DH and I fixed the 7 pin cable and installed a new Reese 4000 lb A-frame Jack (replacing the original 3500 lb A-Frame Jack that came with the trailer). We are trying to not get a case of "while I'm in here..." because we're still trying to decide how to move forward.

As I had told you earlier in the thread, we had the trailer detailed and immediately after the detail it seemed like many of the scratches faded and it looked pretty good. But, as time has passed it seems like the scratches are re-apprearing. I'm not sure why that is, I guess the wax gets into the grooves of the scratches and hides the scratch, but as the wax dries up the scratched start to push through again. Any suggestions/thoughts on this?

DH feels like it will just annoy him all the time to see the damage and be reminded of this whole situation. Can't say as I blame him. I'll probably feel the same. It just maybe time to move on as many of you suggested.

If we decide to sell the inside obviously needs a good sprucing up. We'll replace the carpet in the front bedroom, give the upholstery on the couch/dinette a good cleaning, fix any loose hinges, cabinet pulls, and repair the lifting vinyl. We'll also have new tires & spare, new propane tanks, new batteries, and paint the Hensley to spruce it up as well. DH is also talking about replacing the tank sensors with the SeeLevel sensors. Ours are the original from the factory and quite frankly they never worked. So, when he puts in the SeeLevel sensors he will also fix the under panels that are damaged. We'll check the pipes to make sure they aren't leaking or broken too.

What do you all think?

Again, thank you again to everyone for all your ideas and thoughts on the matter. Much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Responding to your latest post #72 - I think you're on the right track. And I agree about you all trying to avoid the "while I'm in here" syndrome.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
If its paid for option 2 is best deal. Option 3 and see if you can buy it back from insurance company would be my second choice. I definitely would let a experienced polisher look at it first. he might buff a lot of damage out. I have a 83 and have gotten some fairly deep scratches out with some work. Your skin and clear coat are different than mine though.