Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2024, 05:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Loose(?) Rivet Replacement

We just got back from a 3 week trip. At the first stop for the night I identified 7 inside rivets that had popped their heads (thanks Iowa interstate roads). I also identified several where the head had pulled out enough to stick my finger nail between the head and the interior surface. Iím not sure if these loose ones should be drilled out and replaced, or just leave them until they pop out too. Iím inclined to replace them, but I could just be wasting my time. Is there a correct answer out there? Thank you in advance for reading thru this.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
If it was mine - I would replace broken and loose rivets as soon as you could. The loose ones may "wallow" out the existing holes. That may make replacements less likely to hold and fit the original hole. And it's not difficult to replace interior rivets with just a drill and a rivet tool.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Thatís what I thought too

Dan-Thank you for the rapid reply. Replacing the loose ones now was what I thought too. Wallowing out IS the reason to do it immediately. It was the old Sergeant in me that thought everything should look uniform and like new. I hadnít really thought of the mechanics of what was going to happen if they were left loose. Looks like I have my first project of the day. 😀
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote