Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Living With Hail Damage

Hello Experts!

I haven't posted for a while.....I have sold my 92 Excella 29' to some lovely people in VA - they are very happy with it.

Now I'm searching for my 'Dream Airstream'. What I really want is a '05-'08 Safari 25' LS SE FB queen.

I have found a 2007 in TX. It is in a price range that I can afford BECAUSE.....It had been hail damaged (2010) and purchased by present owner with a Salvage Title. The present owner had all issues fixed on the roof and now has a 'Repaired Salvage Title'. The only thing not fixed was the skin......

My question: Does this effect the trailer? What are the feelings about the hail damage dents? My take on it is this: You live on the inside (which is perfect!). So the trailer has cellulite.....so do I!

I've seen this model cost anywhere from $38,000 - $42,000. This owner has started the price at $28,000.....I have about $24-25,000 to work with so this might be mine!

Any opinions here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	164659   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	164660  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	164661   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 9.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	164662  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	164663   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 7.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	164664  

Name:	photo 8.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	164665   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	164666  

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Skin problems

Hail--- I'd be all over this one ! Go for it and good luck.
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Looks in great shape other than the hail. But then this might be to your advantage. Don't golf balls fly further because of the dimples? You may get better gas mileage because of the dimples in the AS .

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I can identify with you in terms of looking for "the deal."

Unless the hail damage is so extreme that it deformed the skin to the point that seams open up and create new leaks, then I would classify your hail damage as simply aesthetic.

My opinion about airstreams: they are 90% aesthetics. If you are primarily concerned with the way the trailer is on the inside, then you can get a lot more white-box trailer for your money. I'll share two stories with you from my recent experiences:

1) I recently bought a used car for my mother in law. She tends to "feel her way" into parking spots, so any car she drives quickly shows bumps and dings, and scraped hubcaps (therefore it doesn't matter if the car starts out pristine). I got a great deal on the car--around $2000 off of what the blue book should be. HOWEVER--it isn't perfect. It has a ripple in the bumper, a ding in the driver's door, and a shallow dent in a rear quarter panel. Everytime I look at this car, my eye goes immediately to the defects. Sooner or later, I will forget what a great deal I got, but those dents and dings will still be there grinning at me. I would imagine that at some point, you will get tired of explaining to random passers-by that the hail damage happened prior to your owning the trailer, but that it meant you got a bargain price.

2) I bought a vintage Airstream over a year ago with the intention of doing relatively superficial fix-up tasks. Somehow that has turned into a shell-off refurb. The trailer came with a large dent in the lower front corner panel, which I managed to pop out mostly with a big suction cup. Now that the shell is just a shell, I am seriously considering replacing the panel, just because I can. To your point, you don't notice the dent from inside the trailer, but it draws the eye like a magnet when you approach the front door.

Having just gone through the used car buying experience, and having been offered a lot of used cars with salvage titles, that are priced as if their title was clean, I would say that your prospective trailer is over-priced. These "totaled" vehicles/trailers get dumped at auction for practically nothing. In the case of a car, at least there is a bunch of body work to do to get it fixed up for resale, in the case of this trailer, I am wondering what "issues" were fixed on the roof. I'm guessing we're talking about a broken AC cover or the like.

Good luck on your decision--for me, the deal just isn't good enough.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Do check with your insurance company verify that they will cover a repaired vehicle with a salvage title, we had a negitive experience with a car that was totaled and repurchased after hail damage. Otherwise it looks like a cherry inside.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You should check with your insurance company to see what coverage you can get for the trailer. Different states have different rules.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hail happens, sometimes I wish it would and just get it over with. Would sleep better on stormy nights.

As for buying one that way, I would be cautious about secondary damage, paying more than it's worth, and insurability. You should buy it cheap considering the pitfalls.

A few years ago the MN Airstream dealer had a storm come through and nailed a bunch of their trailers. I suppose they collected insurance, then sold them at a discount, but not that much off. Now they keep them in the showroom in spring/summer.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Your not the one in Old Katy with the Scaffold over the body off driveway restoration are you!? Saw one the other day over there....extensive.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
I have a 83 classic motorhome that had massive hail dammage. They replaced the center roof panels. The end caps both are dimpled therefore name is Dimple Darling. It has a salvage title and so far it has not been a problem. They all leak somewhere in time. You just have to be aware and fix as needed.

Nothing is perfect, you wont need to worry about the next ding. Scars and wrinkles happen but do not effect our ability to be productive and enjoy life.

If the dimples dont make you upset, go for it. Relax and get her on the road.

KAY
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I sold my mint 2009 25FB Classic for my current 2011 30 Classic - I love this trailer but after one year (it lived at the beach last summer)...

1. Dissimilar metal corrosion (my 25FB was corrosion free as it spent most of its short life in Cali...
2. Minor, but still, small dings on back of trailer from "Hail Damage" - bothers me a little bit a first, (and it is very, very minor) but cosmetic and does add character.

I'm keeping this trailer for a long time, and thus will replace panels as necessary as for the corrosion, need to figure out a way to get rid of it permantly (around the marker lights)...

But my point is... - Buy, Buy, Buy - you will ding a brand new one thanks to Mother Nature or another human - the salvage title doesn't matter if you don't plan on reselling....

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
i would say if it don't bother you it don't bother me.. Belegedhel has a good point thou, it will always be looking at you every time you go to the door.

that being said i read a post where the guy just painted it silver, just the right color of silver. he said you couldn't hardly see the difference between painted and polished. a lot less maintenance. just wash and wax. there is a long post about it.

just something to think about..

t
txtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
It will save you the heartache of that 'first ding' which all Airstream owners cry over... which is followed by the 2nd and 3rd...

It's really, really hard to keep a pristine Airstream while actually using it...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoad View Post
i read a post where the guy just painted it silver, just the right color of silver. he said you couldn't hardly see the difference between painted and polished. a lot less maintenance. just wash and wax. there is a long post about it.
I too have to agree - this will always be my backup...
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm with you John, silver paint is the backup plan if ever needed and a few hails dings are not the end of the world. Right now she's pristine but we use it six months a year so I know that won't last. We'll be visiting the CA coast this winter.

John, if your marker (clearance) lights are like mine there is no gasket between the light frame and the shell. Big trouble I have been able to avoid with CorrosionX, but looking to get gaskets as in the latest trailers, or a better light design. I'm going through JC next month and we'll see what they can do.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The salvage title causes me concern. I realize a trailer can get "totaled" pretty quick with hail, but put on your sleuth hat and make sure there isn't anything more dramatic, ie flood damage. I don't know if Carfax can dredge up records for Airstreams, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck, and try not to rationalize yourself into a decision you will regret. I suppose one advantage of the salvage title is that there may be a lot of negotiating room.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
As usual, I'd have one of our own take a look see. I don't know how insurance companies or State titles deal with this sort of thing, but you're going to have to check it out. The coach looks pretty nice, though. Zip-Dee awnings, wow!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
If it's the floorplan you want, and you plan to keep it for a long time, go for it. Be sure to get some Acryl-R and keep a check on the top seams and rivets where the dents are. Once you are inside, you'll have the same aesthetic issue we have. Seeing ugly white boxes with swirly patterned decals while looking out the windows.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Doug - please let me know what you end up doing, meanwhile I'll go purchase some CorrosionX!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Hummmmm - I never considered the glare from within.....although, this unit does not have the aluminum kitchen interior walls. I think it looks so clean though!

I will say that I've called my insurance company and I can only get collision with them - no comprehensive. If a tree falls on it, it gets blown over in a wind storm or if someone steals it - no coverage with them. Still checking - might try Progressive.

The owner says that he lived in it for 3 mos (in TX) while they were building their home - no leakiing issues when it rained.

Thanks to all for your input.

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hail dings will work themselves out to some degree over time. By that time you will have forgotten about them anyway.