Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Klik rivet nuts, threadsetter rivets, threadsets

Does anyone have recommendations or opinions (good, bad, or ugly) on using Klik rivet nuts, Threadsetter rivets, or Threadserts for fastening such things as clearance lights, awnings, and etc. to the outside skin of our Airstreams. It seems to me that they would be more efficient than the sheet metal screws presently used.

I know that Aerowood used nut plates on his Globetrotter but that requires some skill (although Kip makes it look easy ) and additional tools plus they require access to the inside of the outer skin.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

In case anyone is interested here is a diagram of the installation of the Klik Rivet-Nuts:

Name:   klikset step 1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:   klikset step 2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:   klikset step 3.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  27.5 KB

These are available with steel or Aluminum Class 2B threads. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has used them.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
These are used for non-structural, blind (not easily accesible from the back side), removable, attachment on aircraft and are generally referred to by the brand name rivnut. They are also available in countersunk, where the surface must be flush.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
These are used for non-structural, blind .......attachment on aircraft .......
Would they be sufficient for attaching awnings and etc.? Seems they would have to be an inprovement over the sheet metal and lag bolts that I removed from my original awning brackets.

I will eventually purchase a new awning and brackets but probably not until after I finish the insides. However then it will be too late to gain access to the backside of the outer skin.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Land Rover used a lot of Rivnuts. I wouldn't use them just through the skin of an Airstream. If they were used , say through the skin and a rib, that would offer more secure holding. Attaching an awning using rivnuts sounds risky to me. If you have access to the inside a backing plate could be used.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I've never had much luck with them (Rivnuts etc.) on thin materail as they tend to lossen up and spin, just not enough gripping tension.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote