Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Jack Knife Damage

Hi I have a 2018 AS Flying cloud, i have some damaged to the cover sheet and the sheet behind it.Both on street side, i jackknife the hitch that caused the damaged. Does not look really bad I would like it look new again. I called A/S factory in ohio to do the repairs.Have any body have service with them. I did not want to bring it to anybody other them. Tks
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Why not fix it yourself and learn something new in the process.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Out of Doors Mart in NC replaced the curb side lower rear curved segment on my Safari 25. When they were done, I couldn't tell a repair had been done. They used Olympic rivets instead of buck rivets like the trailer is manufactured with. The factory told me they would do the same thing since to buck the rivets you have to remove the inside panel for access. Both would do bucked rivets if I wanted them to, but it would about double the price. In your case, it may not cost any more if they are replacing both panels.

Out of Doors Mart is a lot closer to you, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for skin repairs.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Take it to the factory - They are great to deal with.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
Hi I have a 2018 AS Flying cloud, i have some damaged to the cover sheet and the sheet behind it.Both on street side, i jackknife the hitch that caused the damaged. Does not look really bad I would like it look new again. I called A/S factory in ohio to do the repairs.Have any body have service with them. I did not want to bring it to anybody other them. Tks
Jackknifing a brand new trailer sucks....ask me how I know. I have some damage to the shield but most of that looks like it is just the trim around the panel. I believe the panel will pop out. It also pushed into the aluminum skin of the trailer but the damage is minor.

I know it hurts, but I think the repair bill is going to be big...so, is it worth it? If you do it, please keep me updated as it is just one of those things that now bugs me whenever I look at it!

Good luck!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I have been to the Jackson Center service center and recommend it highly. I ran over a truck tire tread and smashed the curbside banana wrap and the side raps as the truck tire tread tumbled under the trailer. Jackson Center did excellent work.

It is the Airstream mother ship. There are vintage Airstreams in the parking lot that are fun to look at. The service department kept us informed on the repair progress. We saw several accident damaged Airstreams in the service bay, see photo. There is nothing these folks can't do to an Airstream. They have a good waiting room. We booked a hotel room in Dayton for two nights and visited the Air Force Museum.

It's winter, so you might want to schedule your time at Jackson Center come spring. I don't tow on slick roads.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1210 Rear Damage (Small).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	300722  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you have photos? Also was the hitch too short causing the trailer to jack knife at a very small angle?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
JC makes a nice trip. Interesting to visit the factory and see how these coaches are made. However, if the damage is limited to the rock guards, replacement can likely be accomplished easily by your local dealer. Alternatively, a trip over to Colonial might be an even better solution. Pat

Oops, sheet behind it ..... have fun at Jackson Center.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Jackknifing a brand new trailer sucks....ask me how I know. I have some damage to the shield but most of that looks like it is just the trim around the panel. I believe the panel will pop out. It also pushed into the aluminum skin of the trailer but the damage is minor.

I know it hurts, but I think the repair bill is going to be big...so, is it worth it? If you do it, please keep me updated as it is just one of those things that now bugs me whenever I look at it!

Good luck!
Iam taking your suggestions, will take it to factory this spring.Will let you know how i make out. Tks
Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I have been to the Jackson Center service center and recommend it highly. I ran over a truck tire tread and smashed the curbside banana wrap and the side raps as the truck tire tread tumbled under the trailer. Jackson Center did excellent work.

It is the Airstream mother ship. There are vintage Airstreams in the parking lot that are fun to look at. The service department kept us informed on the repair progress. We saw several accident damaged Airstreams in the service bay, see photo. There is nothing these folks can't do to an Airstream. They have a good waiting room. We booked a hotel room in Dayton for two nights and visited the Air Force Museum.

It's winter, so you might want to schedule your time at Jackson Center come spring. I don't tow on slick roads.

David
Hi How long did it take to have repairs taken care of? I will bring my a/s to factory this spring.Will rent a room like you did. Tks for Information
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My rather small repair at Jackson Center took about a day and a half. We were one night in Dayton. We did the factory tour twice! They were doing it every day about 10 am if I remember right.

There are good sheetmetal guys at local dealers. If your damage isn't too severe, and the dealer has good references, that is an alternative too.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote