Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
It has begun

Hi all, didn't know where to start this thread and figured this may be a good place.
I can't start any major reno until the spring but do need to fix some leaks and some other minor stuff before the winter has us in it's grip.
I received some exciting packages. Hitch repair is underway, the old one was kinda scary. New Marvel hitch lock will go in as soon as I have cleaned out the area, wire brush, rotary tool, paint, all upside down Click image for larger version

Name:	Elbow grease needed.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	137517
Our Bubbles has some junk in the trunk! She has an extendo bumper with a big aluminum box, not centred but off to one side, was that original? There are also some snap fasteners screwed around the rear window for some form of cover, was that also original, or some kind of PO's idea?Click image for larger version

Name:	Extendo bumper.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	137518
I taped around both vents on the roof with aluminum tape. Both vents leak like crazy but the temporary fix should hold until I get new ones installed.
The licence plate in the picture is a prop (it's plastic) the movie company used when they made "Carny" with Lou Diamond Phillips. They removed the side gaucho to accommodate the film camera, and did not replace it, that's OK with me, less tearout. All the parts are still there
I removed the Bargeman Trail-Lite #5 cover, cleaned it with Naval Jelly and painted it with aluminum Tremclad. I thought the lettering was toast but miracle! they came back as the paint dried. They were very faint due to the thick rust. I had to use an eye loupe to make out what it said.
I got a rivet remover tool from Cleveland Aircraft tools. I have yet to figure out how it works. The main part is spring loaded and there are collet inserts to fit the various drill bits included. If anyone knows, I would mightily appreciate a tutorial.
I am having trouble uploading pics, only managed two, maybe too much traffic on the server. The others simply vanished into the ether. I will post more later.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi there, flygrrl!

Since you aren't going to be moving your trailer over the winter, I guess there's no rush, but BEFORE you get it anywhere near road worthy, that big box on the back really needs to come off. It is adding weight at a spot that is not a good place to do so, and will do serious damage to your frame, if it hasn't already.

One more suggestion I have is to make a list of all the little (and big) jobs you need to do. Right now, when you step back and look at your new trailer, you may find that it's easy to become dismayed at the myriad of things you need to do before you can use it for what you bought it to do: camp. By making a list, you can crystallize all the work, and as you go through the list, you will get a better feeling that you are moving towards your goal, than if you just did what you felt like doing on a particular day.

A list also does two other things. The most important is that it lets you prioritize the work. As you have noticed, you need to get at the leaks, but there may be time to do other stuff before the Deep Freeze hits, so with the list, figure out what you think that should be. You can also work out a rough budget and start to accumulate the parts you will need when you see them available at a good price.

Lastly, it makes sure you don't forget anything. it's surprising how easy it is to do that!

All the best, and we look forward to seeing your progress and lots more photos as you move towards the end of that list.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrrl View Post
I am having trouble uploading pics, only managed two, maybe too much traffic on the server. The others simply vanished into the ether. I will post more later.
Leonie
Leonie,

For posting photos, the trick is to get it nice and big so it's easy to see, but not so big that it breaks the forum's size rules, because then it won't post. I recommend that you read Janet's post on exactly how to do it.

And ask question if anything isn't clear.

ps: is that a banjo I see in your photos ?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
aage stole the thunder

If you found the banjo in the box, I would be willing to take it off your hands-also, those fake license plates are actually usable in many states. Ya know, it's kinda funny-when vanity plates were first issued they were stamped just like regular plates, now here in WA, they just "print" whatever you want on a blank background aluminum plate. So, they have let the rope out so far, it really doesn't matter what the license looks like, feels like or costs-as long as the governing authority thinks it is okay, they'll register it.
on edit, I remember what I originally was thinking-doesn't MJMarkhams70 have a thread by this same title? well after 14 edits i think this says what I want it to, and yes, MJ**70 does have a thread by this name.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Lists

OMG, I have lists for my lists. I have a binder that has page after page of info, ideas, to do stuff, links, products, prices, budget, sketches, tools I have (lots), tools I need (surprisingly not too many) et al.
I am finding that Aluminitis is so addictive that it is ALL you can think about, it takes over your life. My toes are even painted aluminum now!!
I have personally built two energy efficient houses, not just signed the cheques, but actually built them myself, so I have lots of tools. I am very proud of my current house which has in-floor heat and a 17' high great room, I ran all the mechanicals (except for the electrical, which can kill you). I used some of the trees we had to cut down as accents and as the balcony in the loft. My husband made tea, and was very efficient at it too. An AS should not be quite as complicated as a house but I am SURE it will have it's own special challenges.
Yup, that's a banjo. I am also addicted the Bluegrass. One of the first trips we would like to make in Bubbles is the Crooked Road, where the grass is blue. We would also love to spend the summers going to as many Bluegrass festivals as we can. Canada has a lot of great music festivals but a dearth of Grass.
As to current Bubbles facelift... I have spent most of the day scrubbing the awning which is in surprisingly good shape, it is clean now and when it is dry I will roll it up and safely store it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Big difference.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	137616
I have removed and cleaned the screens from the vents and had a really good look at the bathroom floor. As I expected we will probably have to do a full Monty. Since our AS doesn't have banana wraps, I will have to create them. There is a small tear in each of the belly pan sides where is curves up to meet the upper skin. Both of those pieces will need replaced.
Do you think I should have the back bumper reduced in size? I think it came with the extendo feature. The box appears to be original too, the latches are the same as the ones on all of the access doors. There is also a box that flips down in the A frame, I am assuming it was for tools but it is toast now.
Thanks to all of you for keeping an eye on me!!
Leonie
Old 08-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Hijacked?

Did I hijack a thread title? Is that a terrible NoNo? Can I change the title? I am so sorry and would fix it if I knew how.
Nah, Bubbles didn't come with an included banjo, but wouldn't that be great? I love my banjo, and have had to explain to the hubby that one banjo is not enough because you also need to keep one in D tuning for all those songs in D. I think it is working I am trying to figure out a safe travelling setup for the banjo in the trailer. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
If you found the banjo in the box, I would be willing to take it off your hands-also, those fake license plates are actually usable in many states. Ya know, it's kinda funny-when vanity plates were first issued they were stamped just like regular plates, now here in WA, they just "print" whatever you want on a blank background aluminum plate. So, they have let the rope out so far, it really doesn't matter what the license looks like, feels like or costs-as long as the governing authority thinks it is okay, they'll register it.
on edit, I remember what I originally was thinking-doesn't MJMarkhams70 have a thread by this same title? well after 14 edits i think this says what I want it to, and yes, MJ**70 does have a thread by this name.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Forgot something...

I have found out about a new material for the underside of trailers and RV's. My husband was told about it by a guy up the road who has a body shop and is moving into RV's exclusively. Apparently it breathes and yet doesn't let any road splash in. I am betting that it is mucho dinero, I'll have to ask.
Aage, you're in Ottawa? I am north of Winchester, just down HWY 31, 2Km outside the city limit. Thanks for all the wisdom of experience
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Do you think I should have the back bumper reduced in size? I think it came with the extendo feature. The box appears to be original too, the latches are the same as the ones on all of the access doors.
Leonie: there was no "extendo" feature nor any "box on the bumper" option when it was made in Jackson Center all those years ago. The effect of that added weight is multiplied due to the position it's in on your trailer.

In this case, the frame acts as a lever and the excess weight at the end of the rails is increased, especially as you bump along over the roads. With time it will actually work to pull the body from the frame. As you can imagine, this is far from being A Good Thing.

Quote:
There is also a box that flips down in the A frame, I am assuming it was for tools but it is toast now.
Thanks to all of you for keeping an eye on me!!
Leonie
Was that in your photos? If not, would you please show it to us?

Quote:
Aage, you're in Ottawa? I am north of Winchester, just down HWY 31, 2Km outside the city limit. Thanks for all the wisdom of experience
Yes, I am, and you're welcome. I saw that, Winchester is close. Do you keep your TT at home? Henri, my '74 Sov, is an hour and a half from here. :') Wish he was closer.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
bas is as bad as aluminitus

banjo acquisition syndrome, that is! a D tuned banjo would make perfect sense...in the shower is a safe place-I leave mine alongside the bed-in its case. The thread name is funny, cuz I always enjoyed MJ's photos and written word, too, and now I enjoy this thread...two by the same name has had to have happened in the past-I just happen to zero in on this one. I do not think it will cause troubles.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Some possibilities . . .

Quote:
Hi all, didn't know where to start this thread and figured this may be a good place. Our Bubbles has . . . an extendo bumper with a big aluminum box, not centred but off to one side, was that original? There are also some snap fasteners screwed around the rear window for some form of cover, was that also original, or some kind of PO's idea? Leonie
H Leonie:

The extended rear frame rails and bumper might have been for a vertical spare tire carrier with an aluminum cover over the tire, like the covers Brad Cornelius is (or was) considering having made. Having an aluminum spare tire cover on the rear end would look great, like the one Herb and Sidra Spies [forums name: jbond] have on the rear of their 1962 Globe Trotter. If you leave the box there and carry only light bulky things in that box, it might be OK to leave there and use with that limitation. But don't put your rock collection back there!

Look at where the rear body meets the top of the rear frame rails. If there is no gap there and the body is tight to the frame rail, the box has not done any harm (yet). But if there is a gap on the top of each rear frame rail where they exit the body, then the box might have caused the rear frame rails flex up and down, pulling away from the floor and body. In any event you do not want to put too much weight in the rear box. Think sewer hoses and such (unless you already have a dedicated sewer hose carrier).

The snaps on the window frames are for attaching exterior fabric curtains to each window for shade and for privacy at night when the windows are closed. A decent number of vintage trailers had these snaps. They are very handy, so leave them there, clean them up and make some cool curtains to snap on each window. Many of us use the same Sunbrella fabric for our exterior curtains and rope and pole awnings. Shari [Inside-Out] should have some photos of her snap-on exterior window curtains in her galley or in one of her numerous threads on her old trailer, Maxwell. Fringe along the bottom of the awning sides and snap-on curtains is a special treat for us edgy vintage characters.

Have clean fun with Bubbles!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
If you leave the box there and carry only light bulky things in that box, it might be OK to leave there and use with that limitation. But don't put your rock collection back there!

I disagree, Fred; remember the old saying, "Nature abhors a vacuum."

And who knows, Leonie might not be the only one loading the TT, what if a friend DID load a rock collection in there!?