Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have to throw in a bit here...
I buy all my metal from AirParts Inc. Their service and pricing cannot be beat in my opinion. Order before 12 and it goes out that day. To the East Coast it is second day service for me. Whatever I purchase, I always have it coated with a PVC film to minimize the scratching. It can be peeled off after you do your fabricating and is worth the extra cost. For interiors I use 5052 H38 in .040. I have found the extra thickness also worth the extra few dollars. I find .025 to be worthless. It buckles and bows way too easily. For anything exterior it is 2024. For skins, belly and patches I use 2024 T3 .032 in all cases. For exterior items that require bending you cannot use T3, it snaps on the bend. I use 2024 T0 in the .040 thickness for that. Eyebrows above the door are a prime example of where this comes into place. I also use it for new bumper compartments since I totally build them different than they were originally so no water can go under the floor.
Now for the part some will frown on and not appreciate me saying; Bare aluminum, of any alloy on the interior is a fools errand. I have done it numerous times on clients project and even in my own. It is a serious maintenance nightmare! It looks good when you put it in and then it goes all to heck. Every person coming in to see your trailer will, without a thought, reach out and touch it. When they do, the oils in their hands leave a finger print that will never go away. If you use it in the bathroom and it is within 4 feet of the toilet, any man using the bathroom will leave little white spots all over it no matter how careful he is. Interior aluminum is meant to be painted. That is why Wally used zolatone on the interior. He was a smart dude unlike the later Presidents who thought of the trailers as just a product.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Got a little message, so I want to add some info... .040 T0 2024 Alclad is used over .032 because it is very soft and needs a little extra thickness over the T3 2024...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Anodized interior skin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Now for the part some will frown on and not appreciate me saying; Bare aluminum, of any alloy on the interior is a fools errand. I have done it numerous times on clients project and even in my own. It is a serious maintenance nightmare! It looks good when you put it in and then it goes all to heck. Every person coming in to see your trailer will, without a thought, reach out and touch it. When they do, the oils in their hands leave a finger print that will never go away. If you use it in the bathroom and it is within 4 feet of the toilet, any man using the bathroom will leave little white spots all over it no matter how careful he is. Interior aluminum is meant to be painted. That is why Wally used zolatone on the interior. He was a smart dude unlike the later Presidents who thought of the trailers as just a product.
Thanks for the input. I always like how people on this forum are willing to share their experience and ideas. I'm definitely going with the plastic coat. I found a local supplier who has one side PVC for just $4 a sheet extra so I think that will be well worth it. I also asked about anodizing and I wondered if anybody has tried that. They have 0.040" anodized 5005 H34 ClearMatt .000250 for $80 per 4x10 sheet. The .040 will add about 40 pounds overall, but if the andodized was a lot better I would think hard about it.
Thanks,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:31 AM   #24

1965 22' Safari
Rye , VIC
Hi all,

I'm replacing interior skins on my '65 safari and thought id post in this thread for suggestions.

Most people seem to go with 5052 0.32-.040 here.
I'm in Australia and it seems quite difficult to source, especially at that thickness. It all seems to be thicker.
I'm wondering is there any reasons not to go with 5002 on the inside? Its readily available and quite affordable here.
And would it need to be anodised?
2024 T3 is even harder to get, luckily i only need one small patch of that for the outside.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Ehblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Now for the part some will frown on and not appreciate me saying; Bare aluminum, of any alloy on the interior is a fools errand. It is a serious maintenance nightmare! It looks good when you put it in and then it goes all to heck. Every person coming in to see your trailer will, without a thought, reach out and touch it. When they do, the oils in their hands leave a finger print that will never go away.
Of Course this is Absolutely true! Inner skin maintenance is a nightmare! But the fact I already re-skinned with aluminum and will not be painting it makes me put the question out there:

What is the best product those who have gone this route found?

I use a spray on polish and wipe it off about twice a year. It helps, but if you don't get to those fingerprints quick, good luck getting rid of them. I am ultimately looking for a product that coats the aluminum to a degree. Any suggestions. I have read outside of this forum that using a car wax polish is one way to go. Any thoughts will help greatly.
Danny Z is offline   Reply With Quote