Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels are very common. The package should be labelled. Aluminum/Aluminum should be the only rivets used to prevent oxidation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Steel and aluminum--a potentially corrosive mix if you're near a salty environment. There are definitely all aluminum rivets available, and that's what you should be using! They are less strong than steel, but if there enough if them and of sufficient diameter, they'll do the job. Also easier to pull and less likely to scratch--that's why the blue painters tape is to be used, too.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels are very common. The package should be labelled. Aluminum/Aluminum should be the only rivets used to prevent oxidation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Thanks - I'll be looking for the alum/alum designation in future. I think pretty much all the pop rivets I have on hand are likely alum/steel.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
How do you know if there is a broken rivet on AS' s like my 03 classic with covered interior? Maybe ignorance is bliss?!?
DAVE THE NEW STREAMER
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
How do you know if there is a broken rivet on AS' s like my 03 classic with covered interior? Maybe ignorance is bliss?!?
DAVE THE NEW STREAMER
Dave, either the head will have popped off or you'll notice the seam isn't fastened behind the head if it's sheared off in between.

I am getting started putting my inside skins back. I started with some rivets from VTS and found they left a nice clean head when they popped. Then I got some more rivets from Harbor Freight and found the shanks wouldn't pop off or even when they did they'd leave a protrusion and looked bad even after grinding.

Take away, VTS has the right sizes and what seems to be better quality than I can find locally.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
Dave, either the head will have popped off or you'll notice the seam isn't fastened behind the head if it's sheared off in between.

I am getting started putting my inside skins back. I started with some rivets from VTS and found they left a nice clean head when they popped. Then I got some more rivets from Harbor Freight and found the shanks wouldn't pop off or even when they did they'd leave a protrusion and looked bad even after grinding.

Take away, VTS has the right sizes and what seems to be better quality than I can find locally.
VTS sells all aluminum rivets vs. the aluminum with steel mandrel rivets you typically find at local and big box hardware stores. The aluminum mandrel is preferred and makes for a cleaner release.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Huh, the ones I got from Harbor say Aluminum but they sure don't break off clean. And no way I am going to risk having steel fastened to any aluminum having seen what mixed metal connections have done over the years already. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
So is there typically a gap between the interior aluminum skin and the rib it's attached to? I lost one of my 2015 International Signature 25 and I was trying to determine where it fastens to the rib or other material but poking back there all I can feel is what I believe to be a rib with about 1/4" gap between the skin and rib, does this make sense? I tried pushing on the skin to make sure it's where it should be and there doesn't seem to be enough flex for it to have ever been directly on the rib. This is on the curved skin extending to the ceiling in the bedroom.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Zach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	254074  
deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
One thing I've learned. If you find an inordinate number of rivets shearing off, check your hitch setup. Having your hitch set up correctly creates less stress for the unit.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote