Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
In Texas need panels repaired recommendations

Has anyone had any panels repaired at the Denton Texas location Airstream dealership? If so would you recommend their service department?
It is a long way from Texas to Jackson Center…
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson View Post
Has anyone had any panels repaired at the Denton Texas location Airstream dealership? If so would you recommend their service department?
But, it's not that far from Houston, to visit Bob Jones service center, who has been doing great work on Airstreams, for about 40 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
P&K
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
How about North Dallas RV?
P&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm going to go to OKC I was going to go to JC but 12 hrs and Griffith has good recommendations.

http://www.griffithrvservice.com/
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Denton is the closest to my location. However, I don’t know of anyone who has had work done there. I appreciate all the feedback I can get. It is a scary thing to take the airstream to a service department and not know what they are about. Thanks to all for taking the time to e-mail your opinions. They are important to me and will help me to be comfortable with my decision process .
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
NOT Denton. NOT Ft. Worth. Bet on experience...North Dallas, Houston and OKC (Griffith) are great for those panels...and recommended by Airstream.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Glad to know about North Dallas. Not been thrilled with Mesquite or Denton Explore USA service so far. Keep handing them a nice list of things to tweak on my new Eddie Bauer and only get 3 of the 15 items done at a visit. And they are slowpokes. Nice enough, but slowpokes.
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

Olathe , Kansas
thepill had issues with Explore. Check out his posts before you decide.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks so much for the input. I think I will drive over and have a look at the North Dallas location. I know I sound anal but the little trailer is so special. I grew up here in Texas and some of my fondest memories was watching the big red letters caravanning down the road and promising myself that one day it would be me…
Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
The North Dallas location is not much to look at! Randy who runs the shop does very good work. They did all of my warranty punch list items. They are a dealer but for repair only, segment replacements should only be done by experienced dealers from what I have seen.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Great to know - I'm gonna go to Explore Mesquite on Monday and get my rig out of there, if North Dallas can get me and my newbie punch list in. Thanks!
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I am really appreciating hearing from folks who know and care about Airstreams.
I want to be able to ask the right questions when I take it in for repair. So, do you get a final cost analyst before they begin working? The reason I am asking this question is some time ago I bought an outside lock for the side storage compartment; the airstream dealer had to order it, and when it came in they had added $10.00 on as a handling fee. When I ordered the lock the guy told me it wouldn’t be more than $30.00 then when I went over to pick it up it cost $44.00. That really turned me off. It was only a small purchase but it gave me pause for thought, what if it had been a large repair bill; this experience lead me to post my question about service departments in Texas. I guess I am just trying to cover all my bases so I don’t have any surprises down the road.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #13

Olathe , Kansas
In my case the closest dealer is in St Louis MO (4 hr drive) so I sent pictures of the panels I need replaced to St Louis, OKC, JC, Springfield MO and a dealer in IA. JC and OKC were very close in price, Springfield never got back to me and ST Louis was $2000 over JC. Something could change in price but since it was hail and no major damage I'm guessing it should be the same as the quote. Good luck with the repair and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am really appreciating hearing from folks who know and care about Airstreams.
I want to be able to ask the right questions when I take it in for repair. So, do you get a final cost analyst before they begin working? The reason I am asking this question is some time ago I bought an outside lock for the side storage compartment; the airstream dealer had to order it, and when it came in they had added $10.00 on as a handling fee. When I ordered the lock the guy told me it wouldn’t be more than $30.00 then when I went over to pick it up it cost $44.00. That really turned me off. It was only a small purchase but it gave me pause for thought, what if it had been a large repair bill; this experience lead me to post my question about service departments in Texas. I guess I am just trying to cover all my bases so I don’t have any surprises down the road.
I don't know who the dealer was, but he did what Airstream did to him.

Anytime a dealer orders parts from Airstream, the order must exceed a certain 3 figure amount. If not, Airstream adds a $10.00 "service fee" to the bill, plus freight.

They have been doing that for years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Does it have to be an Airstream?

Quote:
If it doesn't have to be an Airstream dealer how about talking to Lance(Top)?He does incredible work and I think he's pretty close to you(Harker Hts).Here's his info and he's all over this forum if you don't already know him.
Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Harker Heights, TX 76548 - index
Good Luck.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
panel work

North Dallas RV is good at body work. However, I would not use them for anything beyond that. Stay away from electrical or systems repair there. Had a bad experience (fire) some years ago after they installed an AC & took short cuts. Skin & rivet work is their specialty. ALso, there's a local person here that took over the service from Roger Williams in Weatherford and does top notch work including custom stuff. Takes pride in it. If you don't get what you need from North Dallas or the other dealer drop me a p.m. & I'll give you his contact info.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Tin Hut, Thanks for your input; your type of information is exactly what I need to help with my decision. There is nothing like experience (and if one hasn’t had any in that area) it sure pays to listen to someone that has. Happy Trails…
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Well, I was over in Dallas over the weekend and I drove by the North Dallas Airstream repair location. Safari you were spot on about how that place looks. This morning I called the Jackson Center and asked them about it. They gave it thumbs up for metal work as they have many years of experience. The guy up there said you can’t tell a book by its cover. He also said we were welcome to bring it on up to Jackson Center if we wanted to. It is getting so late in the season I am wondering if we would run into snow or bad weather.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Actually this is a great time of the year to travel to Ohio. The weather is warm in the day and cool at night. The leaves will be in full color about second week in Oct.
Go for it!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
I've never had body work done on my trailer, but I can vouch for North Dallas' level of service ... They are very honest, and have done a good job when I've needed it. As some have said, their shop is nothing to look at, but they do good work and are friendly, to boot. The owner also showed me his large supply of panels from vintage rigs, which was nice to know ... Our last spring hailstorm wasn't very kind to my '65 GT.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote