Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Unhappy I'll Show You My Dent If You Show Me Yours!

After having one of those aluminum carports installed over our A/S to help protect it from the elements, a mysterious dent the size of a large watermelon appeared. Called the dealer that we bought it thru and of course he had nothing to offer.The company we bought it from and who installed it was..ha....need second language to understand the jerk.Burden of proof is on me.Anyway the dent is like I said is the size of a large watermelon and is located right on the curve next to the awning in front curb side. Had some guy from a body shop come by and ..well he left and I still havent a clue what to do or where to go with this one.
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Rubyslipper, so sorry to hear about your "watermelon." Frustration kicks in after so many pass the problem on to someone else, but someone clearly hurt your Airstream. And by the way, welcome back to the Forum! We haven't heard from you for a while ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Thanks Max and Georgia. Know any good body people down your way? The ones in Warsaw arent into Airstreams. Oh by the way the crappie are up and running again.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dent (2).jpg
Views:	268
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	25707

FINALLY...figured out how to get a picture to come across. Heres the dent.
As you see it is right up by the awning in front. Anyone have any comments or advice on what we can do?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ruby,
Do you have a plumbing plunger? It should pull the worst of that one right out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
It's dented, but the photo doesn't show a crease which seems to be harder to deal with. Have you done a search on this forum for how people have treated dents on their own? I think Aaron is probably on target with his suggestion above. Good luck "plunging"! And good fishing ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
It's dented, but the photo doesn't show a crease which seems to be harder to deal with. Have you done a search on this forum for how people have treated dents on their own?
I'm all over this one....when we first got our Bambi it aquired a boo-boo on the back curve, though I was never told. I eventually found out from my daughter (who couldn't keep it secret any longer) that my husband did the deed parking it (while his brother was watching the OTHER side at the back) so knowing I would take this from Ca to Ohio for repair he went to the closest airfield to have Airstream USA decals professionally made and installed which did a great job to conceal the small crease as I never did notice it. He was thinking dollars and cents here for sure, this was a cheap but VERY sneaky fix. He also told her he couldn't go to a rally (we were near Sisters Ore at that time last year) as someone would notice and spill the beans

I did mention while we were having wine and staring at our new beauty how neet the decals are.....while my husband quietly sipped on his drink.
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
A Plunger???? Really??? I am scared half to death to try that. This is a good sized dent.Seriously it looks like a giant watermelon hit it. We know that the guys who installed the carport over the RV did it by either falling or dropping something on it. My hubby thinks they may have tried to jump to the top of the RV and missed. Hope the guy felt it as much as the A/S. Word of caution..dont buy a carport from Carolina Carports..they are crooks.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

What about dent removal services that lift dents out of cars. Would that be something worth a try? I agree the plumbing plunger sounds scary but I hope there's something that will do the trick. BTW I didn't mean to make light of your nasty situation with someone who obviously didn't take responsibility for something they damaged , but it did make me think of my decals that covered a flaw. Also these companies usually carry insurance for these occurances, and I can't imagine you couldn't at least take them to small claims and provide pics or witnesses who would claim this was devoid of the dent before this carport was installed, as they shouldn't be able to get away with this.

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyslipper
...We know that the guys who installed the carport over the RV did it by either falling or dropping something on it....
It almost sounds like your carport was installed over your AS with the trailer in place!

I have a couple of thoughts: Your dent looks relatively shallow so I think that there is some hope you can push it out. I wouldn't try pulling, you'll never get enough vacuum, even with those glass pane lifting cups, the surface is too irregular. Your best bet is to push it out from behind and that will entail removing an interior panel. When you push it out use a large soft object and start pushing from the edges not the center. You dont want to dent your dent then you'll be left with many wrinkles. Sadly it will probably never be perfect again unless you take it to Jackson Center. Someone suggested to me that exterior panels were about $300 a piece to replace if you prepare the interior for the job first.

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Why not put the trailer out in the sun for a while to heat up the aluminum, then get yourself securely set on a ladder or scaffold, and try the plunger. I've had limited success with this method and it's a low cost way to attempt to cure the bump.
Please be careful. I'd also suggest a suction type dent puller as some toilet type plungers suffer from handle separation at just the wrong moment when pulling as they are designed for pushing.
If you don't have the dreded 'crease' then you should be able to pop out the dent. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Rubyslipper; Looks worse than it is, I've had success with the auto body suction cup dent puller, Bondo #954 5 inch diameter about $5 at a supply place, you might need a few of these to distribute the pull. Also try to have the area warm when you do this a blow dryer works for this. Seeing as there are no hard creases you should be able to get to an acceptable repair, It's whatever you can put up with. If you really want to make it nice I would take the inside panels out and use a shot bag with a rubber or wood mallet to gently massage the damaged area. You probably will need a helper on the outside to provide some resistance to your persuasion from the inside. A shot bag on the outside could be used here also. You already have something that you are not happy with so why not give it a whirl as long as you go slow and gently things will improve. I'm guessing you do not have any vacuum bagging experience either that would help. Working with aluminum panels is no mystery you just need good hands. Then of course there's always the english wheel or the forbidden sticker. Maybe one that exposes the company in ? Hope this helps
Airstreams are much easier to work on than aircraft!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Try some soapy water and a plunger. I spent about 2 hours with some Simple Green in a spray bottle and a $0.79 plunger from Big Lots and saved a rear panel. Take your time. Also use a hose clamp around the plunger base where the handle threads on to get more pull with out pulling the handle out of the rubber part of the plunger.
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
Craftsman

I agree, soapy water and a plunger. I've done it and it works. It may not get it all out but I'll bet it gets the best part of it and... it'll look a lot better.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Oh one other little secret, try dry ice, if you can get to the inside of the AS just put it on the bump till things get iced over, Then let it get to room temp. Works most of the time. If you can not get to the inside, just keep moving the dry ice around the dented area bty holding a corner of the ice to the dent. And do not touch the ice it will freezer burn your hands. wear gloves. just remembered this old trick while I was posting somethine else.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
More Mysterious Dents

Just discovered after the lawn care guy left that I had 2 tears in the wrap under panels below the beltline. These had to be caused by the zero turn mower. They were fresh and I know I didn't do them. He denies hitting it. But I sure am steamed !!
Kevin
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Hummmm. The dent is really big.How big of a piece of dry ice would it take?I am going to look at going in from inside if I can figure out how to remove the enterior panel.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyslipper
Hummmm. ........I am going to look at going in from inside if I can figure out how to remove the enterior panel.
That's what I did. I tried the plumbers helper method and it got part of it out. What was left was a dent about the size of a basketball in top front end panel. I was taking the interior skins out anyway, so once that was done, I took, what else, a basketball, deflated it a bit and gently rolled it over the area. The dent poped right out. (I'm not kidding, I couldn't possibly make that up!).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Ok, so where do I find some info on removing the interior panel?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Rubyslipper; My dad owned a auto body repair shop and he used the dry ice method on cars. Thinking fast forward I'm wondering if the thermal properties of aluminum would not be as effictive, you know faster dissapation of heat and cold, I have used the shot bag mallet approach with much success. The basketball idea is GREAT, hope I never have to use it tho.Do the easy things first, have you done the plunger thing yet. that's where I'ld start you might surprise yourself.