Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
How much should I strip to pull the shell?

Howdy All!

When pulling the shell off an old rotted up frame to put it on a brand new one, how much stuff should I remove? Should I pull out the A/C out of the roof? Should I remove the inner skin? Should I take the windows out or just open them? How much stuff do I need to remove to make it realistic to move the shell?

thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
How much???

Boy have you asked a bunch!

We did a frame off of our 1963 Bambi. Our floor was totally rotted out except for about 2 square feet in the middle... Hubby took out all interior furnishings. He had to remove the bottom portions of the inside shell to get the shell off due to blind rivits (can't see um...) that are in the frame members that go between the two skins that are part of the first stage of shell to floor construction. The two end caps and some roof panels are attached without side panels first. This probably sounds garbled, check out the thread below for pics and explanations, and also look at what others have done! Then he lifted the shell off. You will learn to love rivits!

I would definitely take the air conditioner off the roof. I think they barely support the weight anyway... the windows can stay intact. No need to open them...

Once you get the shell off you can then decide what you will need to do. This is the time to rewire and upgrade electricity, plumbing, etc.!

Big job, but worth it!

Here is my hubby's thread on the subject:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html

It is a loooooooooong thread, but has lots of pics.

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote