Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
christiana , Tennessee
How bad does this dent look?

I am new to site and have been looking for a while. Found a beautiful Airstream that I am about to buy. I am concerned about this dent in the back. The owner said he backed into a tree limb which hit the closed awning and made the dent. How should I check for leaks and would anyone know approximately how much this would cost to repair? Any suggestions on how much I should lower asking price because of dent?

Thanks,
Clint 3636

clint3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Take it to Jackson Center

That is a deep dent It may have caused damage to the inside shell too - have you checked the backs of the overhead cabinets? Jackson Center charges approximately $1200 per curved segment. you'll need to have the top and two side pieces replaced. That will also involve reinstalling three lights and the awning (presuming it does not need to be replaced... which it might.

The Classic Ltd Red "Airstream" may also cost more than the basic black letters.

So your minimum is $3600 - $4000, and more if you've got inside damage or need to replace the awning or any window parts.

Paula
Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

So your minimum is $3600 - $4000, and more if you've got inside damage or need to replace the awning or any window parts.

Paula
I agree.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ouch! Any idea why the owner didn't get it repaired? Does he have insurance?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Why wasn't this fixed under the PO's collision insurance? How long ago did it happen? Can he still repair it under his coverage?
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
That looks to be more than just a bruise. It appears that the window has been pushed in and the middle panel has some buckling at the WBCCI numbers. This is not an easy, or inexpensive fix and there may be underlying damage that will not be detected until the skin is opened up.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
The dent is a big deal on an AS. Even if you lower the price, there is still the hassle of getting it into the shop to get it repaired, and what they will find underneath once the process begins. No matter how lovely the rest of the unit is, this is a major event, IMHO.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
How Much should ya ask Lower?
About 4 grand or so. Whatever you can get the PO to come down beyond that. Not going to be an easy fix as was said before. Depending on the year and the condition of the rest of the unit. Looks like a LIMITED to me also.
Please indicate the yr and condition the rest of the unit .Pictures would help.
Keep in mind that at the end of the season AIRSTREAM lays off people for lack of work. I think the rate may be some lower in the off season or at least you have a better chance of getting it in at Jackson Center over winter to have the repair made.
This kind of repair I would only take to Jackson Center so it can be done right and to your satifaction. I echo the previous posters comments about the PO getting it repaired under thier insurance.
If those seams are not leaking, I'd buy it depending on yr and condition and price of course,camp in it the rest of the season and then bring it up for repair over winter.
GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
You can check for leaks with a garden hose. The trick is that the outer shell is separated from the inner walls by an 1" or 2" of insulation. So, a leak that makes it through the outer skin commonly runs down between the gap and isn't always immediately viable.

If it is water tight, and you don't spend a lot of time walking around the back of the trailer, it could be a very serviceable unit as-is.
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Nice trip to JC would I would take 5,000 off price, insurance co may have totalled it.
Branch had two places that hit, awning and center above it.
Awning can be checked where it is, should rollup smooth without wooble, center shaft possible bend. Put a straight edge across awning and you can check exterior damage. Take off awning use connection points to install a stiff bar then a come along at same angle of tree branch, probably can pull 90% of dent, but you will still have a damaged trailer which will require AS attention for 10% damage at the same price of letting them do it first.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
christiana , Tennessee
Great advice

I want to thank all of you for your advice This is a great site.
First, it is a 1997, great interior shape like new, barn kept 13 y. Original owner did the damage. Not sure how long damaged. New owner (for three months) feels it is to big for him, that is the reason for sale. Said he has checked and never seen leak. Besides a slight bulge above front tire on passenger side (from blowout) great looking trailer. Would be proud to own.

He is asking just above 21K

Sent pics to JC quote came back at $4,400 but that is just an est.

Always wanted to own an Airstream, but i Know how important the skin is. I just nervous, do not want to be working on this all the time like the Winnebago we had as kids.
Can handle dent for a while. Heck, if it did not leak I could look past dent. Unfortunately the possibility is to great it is. It is all about price. Not sure what to do! Trying to use head not heart.

Clint3636
clint3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
Well, if it doesn't leak and you said that you could live with it for a while. Just leave the awning up. You will know the dent is there, but it might not be as noticable to the average person.
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That's not a "great" price for a 97 of that model - -and there are lots of others of a similar type in better exterior condition for less... Do you *want* it, or could you keep looking?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Ditto Dave's post...I paid $13K for a similar '94 in really great shape without any dents. Recommend you look around a bit more. You'll save thousands, have less hassle. The NADA (I know it's bogus, but it is what it is) is probably half the $21k on this unit. There are really good AS out there for less money and a lot less hassle.

Welcome to this community--it is great and will save you a lot of trouble and frustration!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
BTW, this owner might be selling the unit because he has discovered a leak rather than the unit being too big. It might be too big, but chances are there are other underlying reasons for the quick decision to sell. I think I'd keep looking.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote