Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
holes in the skin

OK, as some of you know I have been unsaddled but am going to try and get on again. I am looking at a 1966 30' Sovereign which appears to be in reasonable condition. I have 2 significant concerns and I wonder if they are related and reason enough to pass this one up.

1. just forward of the wheel wells is an area where the steel of the wheel well lining has worn through the skin at a right angle and 1 rivet in the same area is gone. This is on the road side and there is a nicely done patch on the curb side same spot which I assume is from the same thing. I have never seen or heard of this before.

2. the door hinge is worn in such a way that the base of the door shows a little wear where it contacts the lower part of the door opening. Logic tells me the hinge needs to be replaced to fix this. There is also a slight soft spot under the linoleum on the hinge side of the door.

So, what's it all mean. I am soliciting thoughts, and opinions as to what kind of underlying problems there might be. Thanks in advance.

PS I agree with Andy that the running gear will have to be balanced.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
On the sixtys models a bit of floor rot at the door seems to be a normal problem. I belive it has to do wothe the fact that the door is flramless where it joins the shell, and as soon as the weatherstripping gets bad you have a leak. If the soft spot is 9X9 or so and just a soft spot, not a hole, it can be fixed with rot doc or git rot and the floor can be filled. I did this on a 65 Safari I had. You cannot tell the floor was fixed except for the not quite as yellow tile.

The wheel well wear and repairs are more of a concent to me, but that would oly be because I do not know how the damage might have happened. Was it a bad Axle? Loss os a tire? Was the seller able to shed any light on the damage and the subequent repair. Will the trailer need new axles?

Door hinges wera, I think they can be bought new. I would look at that as a maintence need, just like door and window gaskets, and tires/brakes.

Just my $.02 worth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I have only spoken with a middle man so far as the owner is on the road till tomorrow. Therefore I haven't been able to find out about such stuff as trauma. According to Andy at Inland there are no longer hinges available for this coach. I wonder about shimming.

Overall, otherwise it looks good so far. It seems the owner is pretty proud of it by price being asked but I am in hopes he will become more reasonable.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Make the insurance company buy it since they seem to get the best deals.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Smile I have a 1966 Sovereign as well

I have the original manuals flyers repair records etc. If you need cop[ies of anything drop me a line and I will see what I can do. Mine is stationary in a trailer park and is not going anywhere. I have a couple of challenges I am working on have to do some riveting in the summer lower skin then shroud replacement for the AC and reefer vent replacement. I have done some temporary fixes for now.
Rickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The old single hinge has not been available for many years.

Sometimes the hinge pin can be replaced. We now have that item.

Sometimes the door can be realigned, however, realignment will not take care of a worn out hinge or hinge pin.

The vertical holes in the underbelly wraps, are caused by lack of proper running gear balance. The underbelly will vibrate against the outriggers, which in time, will cut a hole in the metal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
vertical hole in skin

andy

does the vertical hole in the belly wrap look something like this?

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skin.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	4338  
Old 01-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Unfortunately, your correct.