Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
utee you beat me to it! What is that?
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
I think it's called a hand brake as opposed to a full sized aluminum brake

They are both used for bending aluminum or sheet metal. One on a small scale, the other on a larger scale.

Which leads to my next question...If it bends metal, why do they call it a "brake"???
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I thought bending metal was what happens when you forget to brake.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Marcus, a couple of months ago I went scrounging at a salvage yard in north Florida and came home with one of the extruded lids you first mentioned that I thought I'd use on my 63 Tradewind restoration. The original has cleaned and straightened up better that I thought it would and I'm going to keep it. If you are still interested let me know and I'll try to post a picture of the extruded one. I think I paid $10 for it.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
de,

Sure, would like to see a picture, thanks. Also, welcome to the Forums!

Thanks,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Perfect timing for this thread! In my GTs past, someone cut the trunk down the middle and removed half of it. I recently went to a local scrap yard, Alan Steel in Redwood City, and bought a flat piece of 0.90" thick aluminum to fabricate my trunk cover. The advantage of buying the material there was that they would cut it to size - for a price of course. My total cash outlay for the material plus one cut was $25... They didn't have have cool extruded pieces, so my plan is to attempt a brushed finish using a sanding block and fine grit paper. I figure doing that and giving it a clear coat should do the trick. I opted for the thicker material to make up for a lack of nice bent stiffening features. Hopefully I can to attack the project this week, so I'll be sure to post some pictures.

One question I have is regarding the hinge rivets. It looks like the rivets that affix the hinges to the cover are solid bucked rivets. Are most trunk hinges out there pop riveted or buck riveted?
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
this may work

Marcus,
When they closed the Eagle Bus manufacturing plant in Brownsville a few years ago they sold out alot of bus siding aluminum. It was a wavy, extruded, polished, plate......about 3/8 thick. You can see it on most big busses...not plastic buses...on the road. I have see some of this material on Ebay...listed under ..of all things...aluminum. I have recently seen something similar listed in RV parts, being sold by high end motor coach manufactures.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Hope this works as I have not posted pics before.

If you want it I'll be happy to send it to you for $10 plus shipping.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the photos de, I'll check my dimensions and see if it's a match. I wonder how much shipping from FL to TX would be?

MR-- that's a good idea as well, thanks again to everyone for their input. For now I have riveted the old one back on, and it is serviceable, but not ideal.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
Perfect timing for this thread! In my GTs past, someone cut the trunk down the middle and removed half of it. I recently went to a local scrap yard, Alan Steel in Redwood City, and bought a flat piece of 0.90" thick aluminum to fabricate my trunk cover. The advantage of buying the material there was that they would cut it to size - for a price of course. My total cash outlay for the material plus one cut was $25... They didn't have have cool extruded pieces, so my plan is to attempt a brushed finish using a sanding block and fine grit paper. I figure doing that and giving it a clear coat should do the trick. I opted for the thicker material to make up for a lack of nice bent stiffening features. Hopefully I can to attack the project this week, so I'll be sure to post some pictures.

One question I have is regarding the hinge rivets. It looks like the rivets that affix the hinges to the cover are solid bucked rivets. Are most trunk hinges out there pop riveted or buck riveted?
Mine is not the original bumper, though it's pretty much the same as original. I believe Terry said that my bumper came from an Argosy. For reference, my trunk lid is buck-riveted to the hinge, and the hinge is pop-riveted to the trailer, but that arrangement could be (and likely is) a result of the removal and replacement of the original bumper.

-Marcus
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Mine is not the original bumper, though it's pretty much the same as original. I believe Terry said that my bumper came from an Argosy. For reference, my trunk lid is buck-riveted to the hinge, and the hinge is pop-riveted to the trailer, but that arrangement could be (and likely is) a result of the removal and replacement of the original bumper.

-Marcus
The bumper on your trailer now is from Balrgn's 1973 Argosy 26 he was parting out several years ago. The pop rivets are replacements for the pop rivets that were on the cover when we got the trailer. I did move the camloc mounts slightly to take advantage of somewhat better aluminum in the new locations.
As always, there are stories behind many "normal" things, and the bumper is one of them. Andre sold me the bumper, boxed it up, and sent it via UPS from his home in new Hampshire to our home in Florida. He got a bill from UPS after I had gotten the bumper, and installed it. The bill was for about $20 more than he charged me for the bumper and shipping combined. If nothing else, it is a study in shipping costs.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If you can find a shop that installs extruded aluminum running boards like these you may be able to buy a section from them. AZ Truck Accessories | Continental Accessories*4 Inch Back Series Extruded Aluminum Running Boards* I have used scraps from these places for all sorts of projects, including mounting an electric fuel pump.

Tags