Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Frame slicing through skin on 1960 Safari

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and Airstreams in general. I am looking to buy my first AS. We recently looked at a 1960 Safari. On the sides of the trailer, at the bottom, the frame appeared to be slicing through the skin. It was not on the belly pan, but on the outside. (Could be seen without getting under the trailer). Are these the Ribs coming through? Is this a major issue in terms of value, and ease of repair? Also, will this cause me additional problems down the road? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
shinybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Without seeing pics or being familiar with 60s unit construction, I'd guess that it's the outriggers. They are 14" wings that extend outward from the main frame rails to support the floor and shell.

See pic

Over time, excessive vibration (unbalanced running gear) probably causes this (as well as any kind of floor/frame separation).

Yes, it could be a problem as it could indicate unequal movement between the frame and the shell (separation, etc.).

Banana wrap repair, while not hard, is not fun.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
As Pizzachop pointed out it can be several things. Another possibility is a broken out rigger. If there is more than one I would suspect some major floor rot and the shell is moving a lot more than it should. On the 60's vintage trailers the "banana wrap" is not a seperate piece, the side sheets actually extend down to the belly pan. Derfintely fun to work on

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
There was definitely more than one showing. I think there were about 8 or so. I'm not sure if I'm ready to put that kind of work into it yet I'd still like to be able to actually use it for it's intended purpose...I guess the search continues. Thanks to everyone for the tips!
shinybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
One other thing it may be is the bottom edge of the outrigger can be be so rusted that the smooth bottom curve is gone leaving a razor sharp edge to cut through the skin.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Before the mid 60's, the belly sides are actually separate pieces. However, they are wrapped into the floor channel, so without removing the shell, it is almost impossible to repair this.
The outriggers had sharp edges back then, not the crimped ends lie the newer trailers have. Airstream installed a thin, vertical strip of aluminum in the belly wrap, in the exact places where the outriggers run, to avoid rub-through.
I am going to assume that if it is rubbed through in more than one place, there are serious issues, or extremely high mileage on this trailer.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
This thread might be helpful if you're looking.

Airstream Buying Advice
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our Overlander has four or five of those spots in the banana wrap where the outrigger has worn through. I installed new tires before we moved the trailer (the old tires were beyond terrible), and now have several thousand miles on the trailer, with no further degradation of the banana wrap. So, those spots are not the kiss of deathe for an Airstream, they just bear watching, and eventually they will need to be taken care of. Since they have not gotten any worse, they are not that high on my personal list of things to repair. I am guessing the culprit was the bad tires.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Outriggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Our Overlander has four or five of those spots in the banana wrap where the outrigger has worn through. I installed new tires before we moved the trailer (the old tires were beyond terrible), and now have several thousand miles on the trailer, with no further degradation of the banana wrap. So, those spots are not the kiss of deathe for an Airstream, they just bear watching, and eventually they will need to be taken care of. Since they have not gotten any worse, they are not that high on my personal list of things to repair. I am guessing the culprit was the bad tires.
Outriggers have an edge that is only .070 inched wide.

It will cut through the underbelly with the greatest of ease.

The cause?

Lack of proper running gear balance will do it every time, guaranteed.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outrigger.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	28334  
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind