Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Ovalo , Texas
Fire Damaged 88 Excella 34'-Help

As you can see in the pictures, I purchased a fire damaged Excella. Questions-I need help finding the destroyed door and pocket for the non pressured water connection in the picture. I also need to find the aluminum fender flare that goes around the wheel well and the rubber liner that is the wheel well. Where might I find these items? Another question for someone that knows Airstreams. What are the wires that are comming from the same destroyed water pocket used for? 12 volt light maybe? Also what is the smaller tube that is attached to this larger hose to the non pressured water connection. All of these were burned off at the back and the owners manual is no help. The owners manual that I just bought for this is very generic. Is there a better more specific one for this model to be had? I have worked with metals most of my working life so the rest of the repair is relatively easy for me. I have found most of the other parts thanks to this great site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	95910

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	95911

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	95912
Artb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I downloaded the parts manual for my '07 which gave me the part #'s I needed to call the dealer. I can't seem to find out how to do it right now.
It was on Airstream.com, then click on Service (I think).
Look around on the site, or maybe someone will have the link.
Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Good for you. I saw that one for sale.

Airstream only has parts manuals online back as far as 1999 or so.

I would think that a call to the factory service center would be in order.

Airstream, Inc :: Airstream Factory Service
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artb View Post
...I need help finding the destroyed door and pocket for the non pressured water connection in the picture. I also need to find the aluminum fender flare that goes around the wheel well and the rubber liner that is the wheel well....
the white plastic 'water fill door assembly is generic and available at many rv suppliers...

the wheel well trim is a 2 piece extrusion and sealant. this stuff can be ordered by ANY a/s dealer...

the wheel wells are also available from any a/s dealer.

i suspect that you may find the water tank FILL hose also damaged behind that door/above the wheel well.

contact OUT OF DOORS MART in north caroline or check out their webpage.

you could buy these parts IN PERSON at the factor s/c in j/c

but they don't sell directly to customers who aren't IN the building.

the texas dealers who are STILL dealers can order these parts from j/c too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Ovalo , Texas
Thank you guys so much. I will do exactly that. Would you guys reccomend a scabover or a removal of the damaged skin.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
_

. , .
largely depends on WHO does the work.

IF going to j/c for the skin repairs they'll know exactly which approach to use.

laying new skin over old works FINE in some applications.

i'd want to see what UNDER that skin and want to see the INNER skin too...

so removal/re-skin seems like the best option, but we need MORE visuals and some close ups.

best of luck!
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
The smaller hose is an air vent hose that offers an escape route for the air in the storage tank that is displaced as the water coming through the larger hose fills the tank. You should find some remnant of it near the top of the potable water storage tank.
If the wire looks like phone or thermostat wire with four colored leads its probably the sensor leads from the water tank going to the monitor display. If its heavier guage multi-strand then I have no idea.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like the fire came from one of the wheels. The wheel on the rear axle is definitely damaged as the center of the hub is not in the center of the wheel. It looks like the wheel has taken a pounding as well.

How did the fire start?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artb View Post
Would you guys reccomend a scabover or a removal of the damaged skin.
One thing to remember. Most aluminum alloys do not respond well to heat and significant strength loss often occurs. As such you may find heat related damage in areas not seen until things are opened up.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
One thing to remember. Most aluminum alloys do not respond well to heat and significant strength loss often occurs. As such you may find heat related damage in areas not seen until things are opened up.

Best of luck,

Kevin
I was thinking that the structural ribs might have some heat damage.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Ovalo , Texas
All of you. Thanks for the advice. I will probably remove the old skin to make sure the under side rids are good. I have repaired a lot of aluminum stock trailers and excessive heat does tend to change the tensil strength and brittleness of the structural members.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
How did the fire start?
Squirrels chewing through an eletrical wire, apparently.

1988 34' AIRSTREAM EXCELLA REPAIRABLE : eBay Motors (item 250563139357 end time Jan-14-10 16:22:33 PST)

Quote:
It looks like the fire came from one of the wheels. The wheel on the rear axle is definitely damaged as the center of the hub is not in the center of the wheel. It looks like the wheel has taken a pounding as well.
A comparison of the photos says that the wheels are not the ones that were in the fire. I believe that's the spare on the rear.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Ovalo , Texas
All three tires were ruined. That is three new wheels and tires. Back tire just looks that way because of angle of the picture.