Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Filiform mold-outside

Dealership wants to sell a sealant to prevent filiform mold damage to outside of trailer. Is this necessary or is there a cheaper solution to prevent this mold from starting? such as a wax? Please help, as pick up new trailer in six days.
Thank you all in advance for being so very helpful on many topics.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My gut guess is home treatments with a product like ACF 50 along rivet lines and panel edges would be at least as effective. I then follow up with Meguiars automotive finish products from time to time. Rinse thoroughly if exposed to a salty environment (seaside, or salted roads).

But I don't know what the sealant is they're proposing. I personally wouldn't buy it without knowing the specifications of it from the manufacturer. I'd ask to see the complete product name, and any literature and info they have on it. I'd further research it on internet. I'd say no to an application of a generic sealant with no further info on it. These sealant jobs tend to be expensive and are often no more than a coat of what typically constitutes car wax.

Btw the filiform is a type of corrosion, not a mold or mildew.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orson View Post
Dealership wants to sell a sealant to prevent filiform mold damage to outside of trailer. Is this necessary or is there a cheaper solution to prevent this mold from starting? such as a wax? Please help, as pick up new trailer in six days.
Thank you all in advance for being so very helpful on many topics.
I recommend following the manufacturers instructions. Which unless they have changed in the last two years, are to use good quality modern automotive products. I use Maguiar's stuff.

It sounds like the old automobile undercoating scheme.. The dealer is out to make a quick unnecessary buck.

I believe that putting some "who knows what" on the trailer could easily have an unknown detrimental effect show up at a later time.

Just to be sure, call Airstream customer service and ask them. I suspect they might be interested in knowing what dealer is telling customers that their new trailer will quickly corrode if some aftermarket product is not applied before delivery.

If they had sealed my trailer at the dealership, I an sure they may have permenantly entombed some of the squashed bugs that their lousy wash job had left on the trailer.

I recommend getting the trailer home, reading the manual, and asking Air stream customer service (not the dealer) any questions you might have.
Then give the trailer a goood washing followed by a good waxing or sealing with a high quality product. I use Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and Mequiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Synthetice Sealer 2.0 for wax.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote