Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

providence , Rhode Island
dent repair estimates

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to thank everyone in advance for a really well run forum, I've been looking around here for about a year now and have learned a great deal about great trailers. I've been given the trailer in the pics attached and was wondering what folks think it might cost to fix the dents in the exterior. Thanks again for any replies.
-James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	218186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	218187  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	218188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	218189  

jdean13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Jdean. You are now the proud owner of an old Trade Wind and also own all of its needs. Body work on aluminum Airstreams is expensive. The crease on the curb side behind the door might need a big new Alcad sheet to make it like new. The dent in the front segment would also likely need a new panel. However, this dent looks like it could be pulled or rolled out and made to look much better, but not like new. This would be less expensive repair. Most old Airstreams, except for the show girls, have cosmetic issues. I have come to live with my hail dents. I had a crazy dealer quote $50,000 to replace the hail damaged roof and end caps on my 86! I decided to pass.

Both repairs would need access to the back side of the panel from the interior. Thus the interior cabinets and inner skins and front cap would need removed along with the old fiberglass insulation. Wow, now you can see the floor rot, the leaks, the corrosion, the bad wiring, the rusty furnace, the split copper pipes, etc. There's LOTS of labor involved.

Chances are this old Trade Wind has many needs more urgent than cosmetics. If you plan to renovate, you can address the body damage "while your at it" with all the other projects. Some folks actually separate the body from the frame and then begin to rebuild the trailer from the ground up. Your trailer has value as it sits to crazy people like me who enjoy renovating them, especially 1960s trailers.

There are very good Airstream shops in the northeast that can repair the bodies (shell) with no problem. Maybe one of these experts can chime in and get you an estimate. My guess it would be over $4000.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
end cap will pop out as for the beauty mark on the side as long as it does not penitrate the skin i would leave it for now!
Cliff
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah... Attend to the important structure of floor, running gear, devices then decide if you want to or need to do a frame off resto.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote