Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

dent removal

hello....

next step.....ive just got done gutting the interior and now am looking at which way to approach fixing some exterior dents..here are my options as i see it-

-remove interior wall panels and push them out{dont know what tool to use though}
-pull them out from outside{dont know what tool to use though}
-last resort ave someone do it for us{thats no fun}

any insight would be greatly appreciated

rich
nevisstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
nds
3 Rivet Member

I seldom pay much attention to a lot of the junk they sell on those infomercials on TV, but this item stuck out as possibly being decent for handling some dents on an Airstream. If a dent has a crease through it too, I doubt there's much that can be done. But, small pressure dents may be remedied with one of these:

The Ding King

I have seen them used in auto body shops (not this particular brand but, a similar tool with the same function).
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

There is a lot of information on this topic in the archives. Use the search feature, enter the word "dent", and choose to restrict the search to "exterior restoration forum". There is a lot of very good information to be had there.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Unhappy Item discontinued

Quote:
Originally posted by nds
I seldom pay much attention to a lot of the junk they sell on those infomercials on TV, but this item stuck out as possibly being decent for handling some dents on an Airstream. If a dent has a crease through it too, I doubt there's much that can be done. But, small pressure dents may be remedied with one of these:

The Ding King

I have seen them used in auto body shops (not this particular brand but, a similar tool with the same function).
nds,
for whatever reason the Ding King is a discontinued item and is not available from the link you provided. I am sure some one else makes a similar product.

If you can reach the dents from the inside you need to start at the outside edges of the dents and using a piece of hardwood in various shapes, hammer handles are a good example, start pushing the dents out slowly working around the dent, take it easy and don't over do it. After you have gotten all but the smallest dings out, then you can use a heat gun on a medium setting and again gently heat the dents and they will work themselves out. The key is to take it slowly and work around the dent.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Depending on the size of the dents, according to Andy of Inland, the cold and warm seasonal changes iron some of the small ones out. Never seen it happen though.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I heated a small dent with a hair dryer, then pushed it from the inside with a rubber mallet head, using a lever to get some pressure. Got a lot of it out. I want to try the "fix a dent" guys who do paintless dent removal to get the rest, its a small golf ball like dent.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Alan,

Would this be something you would suggest for plastic coat aluminum or just coaches that have clearcoats?

It would be my guess that such a procedure could damage the plastic coat if not done just right.

What do you think?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

thanks

thanks for the archive hint....didnt know about that..theres alot of info there
nevisstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I wouldn't think the heat would injure plasticoat- its really the same as clear coat, just a different name.
Mine is plasticoated, although I was careful to keep the heat to a minimum. Andy form Inland once mentioned parking in strong sunlight to warm the area.
I really would like to try fix-a-dent or some such outfit and see how they do. I have used them on expensive cars , and the work was undetectable.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote