Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Dent and rib

On our recently acquired 66 safari, there is a dent on the street side. It is about plate sized and really it is a rub mark where I suppose it was backed into and sideswiped by a tree or some other object. It is just below the seam of the lower panel and the one directly above that.. It is also just forward of where the outer end cap starts...I hope that makes sense. Now then there is no real beginning of the dent or I should say no crinkle in it , more of a just pushed in area. It is directly on the horizontal support just before the rib. I suppose by looking at it that the horizontal rib is a bit 'bowed". Putting a straight edge across the bow going horizontal the dent/ bow or what ever you would call it, is about 14" long and the bowed in depth is about 3/4" at the deepest spot. Any suggestions on how to repair this?
I'm thinking I need to take the interior wall out (unfortunately it appears by measuring it that it is right where the divider between the gaucho area and the bathroom is at) and some how push the bow in the horizontal support until the siding is again smooth. Does that sound correct? Thanks for any help.
Barry & Karen in Mich.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have just such a "gift" from PO. I was told at the JC service center to block it from the inside and have at it (the rib) with a 5 lb sledge. The skin is just "oil canned" and will return when the rib straightens. I have yet to find the courage to pick up the sledge.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Rutherfordton , North Carolina
As long as there is no crease, it should pop out with the rib. Good idea on blocking the rib from the inside, even if you do have to do a little temporary disassemble to get to it. Otherwise, if you don't mind a few plugs in the interior wall, You could always buy a plastic plug, drill an appropriate hole inside, insert a tool and pop it out. Kind of like paint less dent removal. Personally I would not want to do that unless the plugs would be hidden in a closet or cabinet.
Yodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If you can get to the inside, and if it is a bent rib, I would suggest you remove all the rivets from the skin to rib before you attempt to straighten. You will achieve better results. If it is a bent stringer (fore to aft) just replace it
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
jay

1974 27' Overlander
danville , New Hampshire
I had a similar dent in my lower front corner with no rib behind it. I read somewhere in the posts that if you take the inner skin off you can use a basketball to push from the back and pop it out. It did work to some extent but since it was on the corner the skin was stretched and it di not all come out.

Jay.
jaygood31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
If you can get to the inside, and if it is a bent rib, I would suggest you remove all the rivets from the skin to rib before you attempt to straighten. You will achieve better results. If it is a bent stringer (fore to aft) just replace it
Aerowood,

Could you elaborate on the process? Here is my situation. I can get to it by lowering or removing the couch.

The pic diesn't really tell all. The dent is definitely just an oil canning type. No crease, although the pic looks like it. Rib is bowed in about 1/4" with its deepest part about 2" below the top of the protector hinge.

How would you attack this one? Have you done these before by using force from the inside?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00184-20110303-1109.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	146179

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00185-20110303-1112_2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	146180

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Remove the segment protector first. Drill out the rivets that attach the skin to the internal vertical rib. If the skin is not stretched the dent should return to near normal all by itself. If this is the case remove interior furnishing to the point that you can remove the internal skin at the damaged area. Now straighten the rib using a hammer and block of wood that has been contoured to match the curvature of the rib. This may take a little finess but you are not the first to do so. When everything looks wonderful again rivet it all back together. Good Luck
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Remove the segment protector first. Drill out the rivets that attach the skin to the internal vertical rib. If the skin is not stretched the dent should return to near normal all by itself. If this is the case remove interior furnishing to the point that you can remove the internal skin at the damaged area. Now straighten the rib using a hammer and block of wood that has been contoured to match the curvature of the rib. This may take a little finess but you are not the first to do so. When everything looks wonderful again rivet it all back together. Good Luck
Pardon my complete ignorance, but why would you need to drill out the rivets? I can sorta understand why on the outside, but not the inside.

Can you explain?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You have no access to the bent frame with the internal skin attached. Most likely only the section of the frame that is bent is the flange and web of the frame that supports the external skin. Did the distortion transmit all the way through and displace the internal skin also?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I see, that makes sense.