Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Cost to scrape and reseal

I have my 2005 16ft Bambi in for some miscellaneous repairs and the repair place says I also need to have the outside resealed. I haven't had any leaks but I also don't know if this is something that needs to be done after some number of years as general maintenance. They quote me a price of $770.00.

So, two questions. 1) is this something that needs to be done on a regular basis, and 2) how much should I pay for this?
BambiBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiBirder View Post
I have my 2005 16ft Bambi in for some miscellaneous repairs and the repair place says I also need to have the outside resealed. I haven't had any leaks but I also don't know if this is something that needs to be done after some number of years as general maintenance. They quote me a price of $770.00.

So, two questions. 1) is this something that needs to be done on a regular basis, and 2) how much should I pay for this?
HIJACK - don't trust your Airstream to an unknown shop. The people who will do it wrong (from ignorance) or really effit up (malice & desire to rip you off) outnumber the honest who will totally nitpick the job. And this is one job you want to be done by a nitpicker! Assume they're billing you $65 per hour for the mechanic's time plus materials... that seems to be about 11 hours. Which for me wouldn't be enough time to do even a Bambi, but I'm not a pro so I work much slower than a professional can. Price is pricy but "reasonable". Or you can find a shade tree, get a couple of ladders and totally blow weekend - and spend $100 or less in materials and pocket the rest PLUS you know how well the work was done. (of course if your nickname is "shakey" and you can't make a bead of caulk to save your life - or even lay out blue painters tape as a guideline - then paying someone to do a neat job is worthwhile.)

Paula
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks Paula, good to know. The quote came from a certified Airstream dealer/repair shop so I assume they know what they're doing. Doing it myself is not a good option, lack of time and let's just say I have a tendency to color outside the lines.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiBirder View Post

I would have them do a pressure leak test so you can see the leaks, instead of just taking their word for it.

Give Soldiermedic a PM, he can explain it much better than I.

Bob
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh Robert - I SO agree with a pressure test - concentrate on finding and fixing REAL problems, not just caulking everything good, bad or ugly. Leaks happen in the oddest places (TV antenna) and travel 4 feet before revealing the ugly evidence.

Paula
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, resealing is a normal maintenance item. If we all did this at least every other year most leaks would be found before major damage is done. Just waiting for a leak to show itself can result in major repair costs. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks Jim, appreciate the response. Sounds like a preventive measure even if leaks are not currently present.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A common leak source...

....Get up on the roof and inspect all the vents. It will become very evident what may be needed.

Your avatar?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney-Bambi-birds.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	193298