Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Changing from Carefree to Zipdee- what do I do with old Bracket holes?

Shell is off; Frame is getting fixed; Meanwhile, taking care of a few shell issues while I wait. I was lucky enough to find a deal on a used Zip Dee that is too long, and needs some hardware. So need to figure out what to do with the old Carefree stuff.

The old Carefree awning brackets on rub rub rail were all pulled through, and holes all messed up. Good thing is they will be hidden behind the new rub rail. However, I still need to fill them up... thinking maybe cut a strip of aluminum as a backing plate in between the C channel and skin?? Sandwich it together when I rivet the skin back to the C channel? (with lots of vulkem of course). Not really sure how I like that idea...

The other place I need some input is the upper brackets (the ones at eye level that have the little teeth). These are not pulled through, but they are mounted right in the rivet line on the rib, with huge lag bolts- look like 3/8. When I remove these, I will have 2 huge holes in the rivet line. The only thing I can think of is to use same diameter bolt in a more aesthetically pleasing head and bolt/ screw it through the hole. Use either Stainless, or Aluminum (do they make an Aluminum lag/ bolt?) This way it would just look like it is holding something.... The location in the rivet line on the rib, does not lend itself to a patch..

Any ideas are appreciated!
Thanks,
Micky
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Anyone? Still stumped...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pics might help...if I understand you correctly, one of two things(or both)
Any old rivet holes can just have a rivet installed to fill and seal hole.
Any "torn up" areas can just have an aluminum patch installed and riveted over the area. You could even get creative with the shape of the patch.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Here's some pics. I have 2 that are right in the rivet line (attached a pic of one of them and also a pic of the back side where they come through), so patching would probably require drilling out a series of rivets above and below, then re- riveting a 1.5" patch strip through the good rivet holes.

They currently dont leak, so all I can think of is to get some better looking stainless or alumimum 3/8" screws and vulkem them in without the bracket....

The other pic is of a 3rd bracket above the window. I suppose I could use a patch there, but thinking a patch would look like a flaw, where a couple of clean screws would at least look like they have a purpose.

Ultimtely though, they are all 3/8" holes so replacing with a rivet is not an option to my knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25_12-04-14_672.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	179830   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25_12-05-46_953.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	179831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25_12-03-58_344.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	179832  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I replaced care free with zipdee last spring I have a neighbor that used to work AS factory service Dept. had piece of AS aluminum cut small piece between window and panel lap used olympic rivets & par bond zipdee techs did not even notice patch I also think a larger Olympic rivet would fill holes but all ready had patch before going to zipdee factory to install awnings also bracket for rafter in middle olympic rivets will fill these holes with no patch required
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote